The problem really isn't the specs, it's the price.

#1MajesticFerretPosted 9/14/2013 1:48:35 AM
Developers everywhere said the PS3 was stronger than the 360 and MS didn't have to say anything to refute this. Why? Because when the competition costs $200 more, it damn well better be.

Now devs are saying the PS4 is stronger and they have to beat them off with a stick because it's hard to let it slide when the cheaper console is stronger.

They f'd up in R&D and ironically, it's Nintendo who's to blame. It's motion control gimmick sold the most consoles last gen. and MS wanted to refine the Kinect to work better to capture that casual market while still double dipping in the hardcore market with decent specs. What happened is they probably spent too much money getting the Kinect to do all that fancy stuff they say it can do, and now they sell the console at too much of a loss if they don't include it.

It sucks too, because at $350, no one would care if the X1 is slightly weaker than PS4 and with the Kinect out of the equation, MS is rich enough to sell it at this price point.

Honestly, the cheapest console nearly always wins each console cycle because parents are cheap. It's just funny, because even with the worse specs and 3rd party devs, X1 could have won this gen simply by playing Sony's game and doing it cheaper due to having more financial stability than Sony.
---
Sanity is a one trick pony, all you get with it is rational thought, but with crazy the sky's the limit.
#2Rdeal2Posted 9/14/2013 1:58:50 AM
To me this is the cheapest console,not only do i get a game but i get the Kinect which i would have bought anyway and it would have cost me more than 130 if sold separately
#3BeatItUpRightPosted 9/14/2013 2:06:55 AM
The problem is the lack of appeal.

What does either console do that is a unique experience?

You have a device that can play all media and steam VOD.

You have a device that plays games.

You have a device that you can use for Skype/Facebook/Web Browsing.

There is a serious lack of interest for new consoles, which means low numbers. Both will be great consoles no doubt, but very little appeal.

After the initial launch, can't see them selling a whole lot for a good while.
---
Intel Pentium Pro @155mhz - 2MB 3dfx Voodoo Graphics - 4x 16MB SIMM ram - 32k Modem - Windows 98
#4Spetsnaz420Posted 9/14/2013 2:51:51 AM
BeatItUpRight posted...
The problem is the lack of appeal.

What does either console do that is a unique experience?

You have a device that can play all media and steam VOD.

You have a device that plays games.

You have a device that you can use for Skype/Facebook/Web Browsing.

There is a serious lack of interest for new consoles, which means low numbers. Both will be great consoles no doubt, but very little appeal.

After the initial launch, can't see them selling a whole lot for a good while.

I don't see this whole lack of appeal thing you speak of. I literally can't go anywhere without hearing about the next gen. I'd say people are pretty damn interested. If anything people are having a very hard time with what's real and what's made up about both consoles.
---
I don't conform to social convention
#5YeomanlyPosted 9/14/2013 5:10:30 AM
Nah price is no problem in UK, 80 difference, Xbox One comes with FREE Fifa or Forza (59.99RRP), so 20 difference, makes Kinect cheap for 20. :D
#6GnarKillsPosted 9/14/2013 5:16:25 AM
MajesticFerret posted...
Developers everywhere said the PS3 was stronger than the 360 and MS didn't have to say anything to refute this. Why? Because when the competition costs $200 more, it damn well better be.

Now devs are saying the PS4 is stronger and they have to beat them off with a stick because it's hard to let it slide when the cheaper console is stronger.

They f'd up in R&D and ironically, it's Nintendo who's to blame. It's motion control gimmick sold the most consoles last gen. and MS wanted to refine the Kinect to work better to capture that casual market while still double dipping in the hardcore market with decent specs. What happened is they probably spent too much money getting the Kinect to do all that fancy stuff they say it can do, and now they sell the console at too much of a loss if they don't include it.

It sucks too, because at $350, no one would care if the X1 is slightly weaker than PS4 and with the Kinect out of the equation, MS is rich enough to sell it at this price point.

Honestly, the cheapest console nearly always wins each console cycle because parents are cheap. It's just funny, because even with the worse specs and 3rd party devs, X1 could have won this gen simply by playing Sony's game and doing it cheaper due to having more financial stability than Sony.

When was $399 to $499 a $200 difference?

The bottom line is they are making us pay for the Kinect with the $100 difference. I've been X1 from day one and wish I could get the console cheaper if they took the Kinect out and stopped acting like devs will start producing good games for it. It'll just be kids games and fitness games more than likely.
---
GT - GnarKills
#7BoxTheMuppetPosted 9/14/2013 5:26:45 AM
GnarKills posted...
MajesticFerret posted...

The bottom line is they are making us pay for the Kinect with the $100 difference. I've been X1 from day one and wish I could get the console cheaper if they took the Kinect out and stopped acting like devs will start producing good games for it. It'll just be kids games and fitness games more than likely.

I think the problem is everyone is expecting games for the kinect. I feel like they are going for more interactive immersion with it. It's going to be part of the game experience. Most gamers don't want to jump around in their living room after a day of work or school so they are finding new ways to incorporate this tech. Look at DR3. I don't think devs will have much trouble adding little things like that to games to give you a more interaction.
---
#1 at absolutely nothing!
#8Eternal JehutyPosted 9/14/2013 5:33:31 AM
GnarKills posted...

He was talking about the different between Xbox 360 and PS3.

Also, my main problem is still the price and the "forced" inclusion of Kinect. I don't want one, and I doubt many people would care for one either. They talk about how it enhances the gaming experience, yet they have not shown one thing that I give a crap about.

However, the initial reveal is what swayed me from Microsoft to Sony. Their lack of caring (until the pre-order numbers started rolling in) did nothing to help their cause.

I know I'm just one person, but I own over 200 games for my 360 (most bought at full price) and have went through 3 consoles. I've maintained my gold subscription, and have a 131k gamerscore. Even when all of my friends switched to PS3, I remained. I'm not a fanboy of either system, but what Microsoft tried to pull put me over the edge and I went and pre-ordered my PS4 right after E3's Monday press conferences. I now have a subscription to Plus and my PS3 library increased from around 5 games to now over 30.

If someone like me can be swayed, I have no doubt that tons of other people can be, too.
---
XBox Live: ImmortalArbiter | PSN: EternalJehuty
#9axelfooley2k5Posted 9/14/2013 5:59:06 AM
1. The specs are facts
2 The price is crazy....with inflation it is a ps3 launch system
3. NuADS......yea
4. kinect
5. They went and changed the perfect controller
6. The ads everywhere....they will be and you know it
---
Kramerica Industries
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icDXNHF-oEw
#10Ryan-06Posted 9/14/2013 6:03:07 AM
MajesticFerret posted...

Indeed. And read this, from Activisions CEO, mr. COD guy Eric Hirshberg

http://www.gamespot.com/news/activision-xbox-one-has-to-convince-gamers-that-its-worth-499-6410752

in an interview with GamesIndustry International:
"If you do a focus group of a gazillion people and you show them two prices for two competitive products, 100 percent always prefer the lower price."
---
0=Rei. Pronounced Rei-six. Born New England. Lived in Japan. Citizen of Earth. Want to move to Canada. US sucks.