Steam like sales were never a possibility with drm policies

#1CasualGamersPosted 9/14/2013 9:48:25 AM
Beware. Logic is being used here.

First of all, Microsoft can still have steam like sales if they really want to. There is nothing stopping them from doing so. They own their own platform and are free to do whatever they want. If they really were going to do steam sales, they absolutely can.

Secondly, Microsoft is charging people for gold. If they don't give you gold for free, what makes you think that they will give you a discount on these games aka product licenses? If giving consumers a discount is really a priority for them, they can just as easily discount or make gold for free.

Lastly, the model where they give massive discounts on product licenses has never ever existed in Microsoft before. Microsoft doesn't give massive sales on their other product licenses, such as exchange, office, server, and etc. what makes you think that they would give you a discount on their other product license on the xbox when they historically have never done it before?
#2BERZERKER17Posted 9/14/2013 10:50:39 AM
Yep, you pretty much have stated how I feel about the whole 'steam sales xbone lolz' thing, and for that, I completely agree -- M$haft were more concerned about the preorders the console was getting -- not the consumers interests nor the consumers in general.

Bump.
---
R.I.P TimeSplitters 4, R.I.P FreeRadical, 21st December 2008.
XBL Gamertag: Catalytic Flash
#3SilentS89Posted 9/14/2013 11:34:40 AM
The mere idea that Microsoft would ever have a Valve-like service is hilarious.

Microsoft and Valve couldn't be more different.
#4CyberneticRatPosted 9/14/2013 11:42:01 AM
Uh... they have sales on XBL Marketplace all the time. They also gave away free games.

Steam has sales like they do not because they're good sports but because it rakes in the money. Thousands of people buy games that they never would've otherwise and people picked up games they know nothing about and will probably never play just because they were dirt cheap. MS has seen this and now they want a piece of the pie as well.
---
Gamer Tag: MANNKILLER83
Proud Supporter of The Wonderbolts
#5PolishCockatielPosted 9/14/2013 11:48:52 AM
SilentS89 posted...
The mere idea that Microsoft would ever have a Valve-like service is hilarious.

Microsoft and Valve couldn't be more different.

I know, right? Valve has offered major updates to L4D games for FREE while on XBLA they cost money because MS wants to make $$$ and doesn't give a flying rat's ass about consumer loyalty.
#6Thewinner14Posted 9/14/2013 11:56:09 AM
Valve still puts word of mouth advertising ahead of everything else. That's why before going f2p, all TF2 updates (which have always been free) were accompanied by a free weekend. The exposure from current players word of mouth was enough to drive up sales.

Similarly, when they have a sale, my IRL friends and steam friends are always suggesting this game or that. The sale price drives up word of mouth which in turn drives sales.

MS, like many devs, would rather charge you for everything imaginable. They have completely different philosophies on generating revenue.
---
3DS FC: 3496-9988-4201
AC:NL dream code: 4000-2184-5956
#7cpcjlc3Posted 9/14/2013 12:22:51 PM
CasualGamers posted...

First of all, Microsoft can still have steam like sales if they really want to. There is nothing stopping them from doing so. They own their own platform and are free to do whatever they want. If they really were going to do steam sales, they absolutely can.

Secondly, Microsoft is charging people for gold. If they don't give you gold for free, what makes you think that they will give you a discount on these games aka product licenses? If giving consumers a discount is really a priority for them, they can just as easily discount or make gold for free.

Lastly, the model where they give massive discounts on product licenses has never ever existed in Microsoft before. Microsoft doesn't give massive sales on their other product licenses, such as exchange, office, server, and etc. what makes you think that they would give you a discount on their other product license on the xbox when they historically have never done it before?

I agree with almost everything you said. However I must disagree with the last part. MS often gives massive discounts on office and OS to students, large businesses.
#8SunDevil77Posted 9/14/2013 12:26:19 PM
They do have some very good sales. Nothing beats Steam, but Microsoft has some damn good digital sales. Just last year I picked up The Walking Dead episodes 1-5 for ~$7, Bioshock for $5, Borderlands 2 for $10 and the season pass for ~$10, Mortal Kombat 9 + all DLC for ~$15, Civ Revolution for $5, etc.

I hope they have more this gen.
---
The average lifespan of a raccoon is ~5 years.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#9CasualGamers(Topic Creator)Posted 9/14/2013 1:32:47 PM
cpcjlc3 posted...
CasualGamers posted...

I agree with almost everything you said. However I must disagree with the last part. MS often gives massive discounts on office and OS to students, large businesses.

The student discount is decent and large businesses get minor discounts based on volume. They still don't even remotely resemble steam sells.
#10Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 9/14/2013 1:34:07 PM
CyberneticRat posted...
Uh... they have sales on XBL Marketplace all the time. They also gave away free games.

Steam has sales like they do not because they're good sports but because it rakes in the money. Thousands of people buy games that they never would've otherwise and people picked up games they know nothing about and will probably never play just because they were dirt cheap. MS has seen this and now they want a piece of the pie as well.

they have maybe no more than 10 games on sale at any one time and it's still much more expensive then the going rates on steam
---
"i've had sex with a chick who was a psy major, so yeah i think i know what aspergers is" -LiquidFuze180