Is there a real reason to buy next gen right away? (I swear this isn't trolling)

#1ilikewalmartPosted 9/16/2013 1:08:09 AM
I was gonna get an X1 right away. Then I thought about a few things.

1: The first time a system comes out, there's usually bugs. I know MS fixed the RROD for free but it's still a pain to ship it away and wait for it to come back.

2: No backward compatibility. I know it has it's own games but a majority of games I wanna play are on 360.

3: The price is obviously too high and I expect a quick price drop for MS to hang with Sony in the sales.

4: What if friends don't get it? I won't be able to chat with them, cross platform.

I know that this has all been asked/said but I really am torn on whether to get it or not.
---
Signature coming soon
#2TrueSephir0thPosted 9/16/2013 1:30:33 AM
dont do it unless youre %100 sure

the 360 is still radass on its own, i personally dont see any reason to go next gen
---
GT- Flying Abstract
i boost achievements, hit me up!
#3Millertime660Posted 9/16/2013 1:32:02 AM
all personal preference man.... Im just excited for it. And I will have plenty of decent launch game options to choose from.
#4g7g7g7g7Posted 9/16/2013 2:34:28 AM
Wait, seriously, with all the last minute hardware changes you can bet there is going to be some hardware problems on both sides. Also there will be a handful of worthwhile games so I would say just wait about 6 months at least.
---
You never see people quoting each other in sigs anymore. - Adam Laz
#5RollnThunder213Posted 9/16/2013 3:19:16 AM
All very good points for a person to wait. Let me share what I think about each individually.

1. Software bugs can obviously be patched out, that's no problem. Hardware problems COULD be a problem, but I feel more confident this time around. This console was designed by the same people who did the Xbox 360 slim which had a low failure rate and MS has claimed they designed the console to stay constantly on for 10 years. With how large that fan is trying to displace the small amount of air in the console I bet it will be ultra quiet and produce barely any heat, so RROD like failures won't occur this time around.

2. BC isn't coming (maybe if MS can find a way to use the cloud in a similar way to stream games), so I'm not exactly sure how this lends itself to waiting. Whether or not you buy it now or in 2 years it will be the same. I also am not excited for GTAV at all so I don't feel a need to play 360 anytime soon like others might, just a personal opinion. And since there's no BC, if I were to buy some of the games mentioned in my point below on my 360 I would have to play them on my old hardware that could kick the bucket unexpectedly at some point and I won't be able to play them a few years from now.

3. You might see a bundle next fall that equalizes the price a little bit but you won't see a price drop until 2015. For me, that's too long to wait as I want to play a couple of the launch window games (BF4, Titanfall, AC4, Ryse) and multiplayer games don't lend themselves well to being played for the first time long after launch. So paying the $100 more to get to play these this fall instead of 2 years from now is worth it to me. If I was going to be buying these games at launch anyway, why not buy the superior next gen version?

4. This is true. For me, I made sure at least 1 of my friends buys the X1 so that I can play my multiplayer games with them, otherwise I probably would have waited too. This is more on a case to case basis than something about the system.

As you can probably see, it's a very personal decision to upgrade because it depends on many factors (finances, games you want to play, friends upgrading too). If it doesn't feel right for you to upgrade right now then the smart choice is to wait in your case. Wait until the games and the system becomes compelling enough to YOU. If you jump in just because someone on a message board said you should then you'll probably come to regret the decision.
---
"No control beyond these skies"
GT: RollnThunder213
#6SuperShadowAcePosted 9/16/2013 5:27:44 AM
You're an idiot if you buy a console at launch.

Bugs and hardware issues out the ass.
Long stretches of time between worthwhile exclusives.
Features aren't there yet.
Prices drop in a year.
---
http://ofnoobsandmen.com/ <----Good comic
Game contact information in profile.
#7ianthegamerPosted 9/16/2013 5:52:38 AM
price drop wont be for 2 or 3 years (look at the last gen for a hint of price drops)
and I agree. There is no point to buy at launch UNLESS thee is a game you want. For me I really want to start playing BF4 so im getting xbox one day one
---
"Nobody cares about SKN or King of Fighters anymore. Go play Art of Fighting or SvC Chaos 29.99 ONLI and get lose."-GWEndlessDuel
#8SuperShadowAcePosted 9/16/2013 6:07:33 AM
ianthegamer posted...
price drop wont be for 2 or 3 years (look at the last gen for a hint of price drops)
and I agree. There is no point to buy at launch UNLESS thee is a game you want. For me I really want to start playing BF4 so im getting xbox one day one

Why not get it on PC?
---
http://ofnoobsandmen.com/ <----Good comic
Game contact information in profile.
#9DIVINExFABLEPosted 9/16/2013 6:36:21 AM
I'm getting the new one because I'm still on my original white 20gig 360 and it takes some manual labor to get it to read discs(i.e. smacking the hell out of the top of it) so I figured it was time. And I have a 3 year service plan for it so I have confidence in my purchase.
---
XBL GT: Karmosity
Believe it or not, He's the good guy.
#10AlexanaxelaPosted 9/16/2013 6:42:43 AM
some people just have to take one for the team and buy these things the day they come out
---
There's no way I can pay you back, but my plan is to show you that i understand.
You are appreciated.