LMFAO! Microsoft bans user from XBL for life for posting GTA V spoilers

#101DarknessXSeekerPosted 9/16/2013 8:44:08 PM
For posting spoilers of GTAV? GTA of all games, who plays GTA for story anyway?
---
"You're gonna get shown the door, old man."
#102gogogodzillaPosted 9/16/2013 9:01:39 PM(edited)
PsychoGates posted...
The banning has been requested by Rockstar

In my view, Rockstar is no more important than you or I. Less, actually, as they depend on us for life (aka: sales).
---
My Chicken says, "Cluck!"
#103gogogodzillaPosted 9/16/2013 8:55:34 PM(edited)
NerdimusPrime posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
ITT: Lots of armchair lawyers who need to research all the times ToS agreements were laughed out of civil courts.

Get off your high horse. He broke a rule. That doesn't mean he got off lightly because the gestapo didn't bust down his door and haul him to federal prison over something that wasn't even close to unethical, much less illegal.

OOO, another snarky kid on the internet! who would have thought it? The guy agreed to the terms in order to use XBL. He violated those terms, MS banned him from XBL. the end. He has no legal recourse, he broke the rules of their service and they banned him for it.

You do realize that it's perfectly legitimate for one party to unilaterally change a ToS without securing the approval of the other party. Credit card companies do this whenever they 'update' their terms of use.

So, the guy just 'updated' the Xbox360 ToS without securing Microsoft's approval.

#Dealwithit
---
My Chicken says, "Cluck!"
#104stalemate_666Posted 9/16/2013 9:27:56 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
RedZaku posted...
NerdimusPrime posted...
they didn't brick his console, take away his game or take legal action, they simply revoked his XBL service forever. Perhaps he should read the ToS before he agrees to it.

Well the ToS says nothing about spoilers someone posted it and tried to suggest he obtained the game illegally, but stores actually broke the street date of GTAV so there's no way to prove he actually obtained his copy illegally in the first place. So yeah, there's no grounds for him to be banned particularly if the store gave him the game and broke street date themselves.

That IS considered illegally >.<

By what court of law. I personally don't consider anything that hasn't been decided in an actual court room part of the law. If a law is so weak it can't survive a trail it has no business being a law.
---
psn: Stalemate666
#105RyuuHou25Posted 9/16/2013 10:02:26 PM
Thewinner14 posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
RedZaku posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
Yes, yes it is, they're selling something illegally, you buying it from them doesn't magically negate it being an illegal copy. So no, they did ~not~ buy it legally.

Well, yes it does. When you pay for something legally the consumer is not at fault if the story decided to break the release date of the game intentional or otherwise. It apparently does violate MS's TOS but he's not being banned for anything that violates TOS because posting spoilers is no where on MS's TOS. If they want to ban him for a legit reason fine, but Spoilers don't constitute that.

Well, no it doesn't.

Please, try and use this logic when you get busted for buying drugs or something "But I bought it legally with money! It's his fault for selling them to me!"

See how that goes for you, yeah?

Just because the store is at fault, doesn't excuse ignorance of the fact that said game isn't supposed to be out yet. So, if you got one, and had ANY brains whatsoever, you'd keep it the f*** quiet and play OFFLINE so nobody could tell until the actual release date. Otherwise, you deal with the consequences of such.

MS TOS says anything obtained illegally. You can try and justify it however you want, they consider early copies illegal, hence, they can, and will, ban you for doing such. Especially if you're idiotic enough to post game play and spoilers with YOUR GAMETAG SPLASHED ALL OVER IT.

Also, it's their system, it's Rockstars games, they could ban you for whatever the f*** they want if they really wanted to. It wouldn't win them a lot of customers by any means, but they CAN do it. It's THEIR property.

drugs are illegal, the video game disk is not.

The store violated a contract (which would end up in civil court, not criminal) that is NOT the fault of the end user. Illegal implies there is a violation of criminal law, such as the case with pirated games. If the game wasn't pirated the copy is legal, regardless if the store violated it's contract or not.

Also, since it wasn't bought digitally, first sale doctrine says the DVD and contents therein are the property of the end user.

It's just as illegal to sell it when it violates a contract!! It's the same damn thing. There's no difference there except that everyone knows drugs are illegal. Knowing that early copies of a video game are illegal if the store is under a contract to not sell it early isn't.

Ignorance of the law, as MANY police officers would attest to, is not an excuse.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liGiTVdVu1A
#106RyuuHou25Posted 9/16/2013 10:05:23 PM
stalemate_666 posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
RedZaku posted...
NerdimusPrime posted...
they didn't brick his console, take away his game or take legal action, they simply revoked his XBL service forever. Perhaps he should read the ToS before he agrees to it.

Well the ToS says nothing about spoilers someone posted it and tried to suggest he obtained the game illegally, but stores actually broke the street date of GTAV so there's no way to prove he actually obtained his copy illegally in the first place. So yeah, there's no grounds for him to be banned particularly if the store gave him the game and broke street date themselves.

That IS considered illegally >.<

By what court of law. I personally don't consider anything that hasn't been decided in an actual court room part of the law. If a law is so weak it can't survive a trail it has no business being a law.

Well, by all means, get yourself into the same situation and pose that outlook to MS or an actual court, let me know how it goes.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liGiTVdVu1A
#107EcotronPosted 9/16/2013 10:05:41 PM
Good. Justice was served
#108NerdimusPrimePosted 9/17/2013 3:04:34 AM
gogogodzilla posted...
NerdimusPrime posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
ITT: Lots of armchair lawyers who need to research all the times ToS agreements were laughed out of civil courts.

Get off your high horse. He broke a rule. That doesn't mean he got off lightly because the gestapo didn't bust down his door and haul him to federal prison over something that wasn't even close to unethical, much less illegal.

OOO, another snarky kid on the internet! who would have thought it? The guy agreed to the terms in order to use XBL. He violated those terms, MS banned him from XBL. the end. He has no legal recourse, he broke the rules of their service and they banned him for it.

You do realize that it's perfectly legitimate for one party to unilaterally change a ToS without securing the approval of the other party. Credit card companies do this whenever they 'update' their terms of use.

So, the guy just 'updated' the Xbox360 ToS without securing Microsoft's approval.

#Dealwithit

He got the Permaban and there will be no appeal... I think he has to #dealwithit.
---
If you value privacy please sign here: https://optin.stopwatching.us/
#109Spetsnaz420Posted 9/17/2013 3:15:51 AM
BudWisenheimer posted...
gobuffalo30 posted...
Porunga posted...
I don't know.. hacking sure, cheating sure, but spoilers? Seems unnecessarily harsh for just spoilers.

I agree. But of course people get banner on XBL for all sorts of crappy reasons. Makes me wonder how it's going to be on X1.

Not harsh at all if the people working on the game don't want anyone sharing spoilers. Pretty tame punishment actually. But maybe just enough to deter others?

I feel he deserves the ban but in what way is it tame? Does MS do more serious penalties than a ban? Could they go to his house and rough him up?
---
I don't conform to social convention
#110nintendofan100Posted 9/17/2013 3:45:47 AM
Only read the first page...and SERIOUSLY? Every SINGLE person in this topic would be screaming for weeks on end if something like this happened to one of you!
---
This snarky comment has been brought to you by "the internet" if it doesn't have "inter" in it, its...probably a regular kind of net.