The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

How do you feel about the Xbox One being a more difficult system to work on?

#1VioletZer0Posted 9/16/2013 5:38:03 PM(edited)
http://techland.time.com/2013/09/13/id-be-skeptical-of-reports-about-the-playstation-4-being-50-faster-than-xbox-one/

I saw this article and it only confirmed what I already believed. (Confirmation bias ho!) The PS4 being 50% more powerful is complete bogus.

But rather, this debacle could have revealed something much worse than the power difference. It's harder to work on.

When speculating on the console war, being easy to work on is probably one of the most important features of a system. If not the most important outright.

Oh sure we all like our spiffy graphics and polycounts but ultimately what it comes down to is the quality of the games. It may be more advanced, but is Golden Axe: Beast Rider really better than a game like A Link to the Past because it uses a higher polycount? Hell no!

Being easier to work on makes a system more attractive to developers. From a publisher standpoint, working on an easy system is cheaper. It allows new talent to come into the studios more frequently. It's a huge boon to indies or low profile publishers like Atlus.

Quality games is what is important.

This also means multiplat games are significantly less likely to compromise in graphics.
#2pblimp360Posted 9/16/2013 5:40:56 PM
While I agree with you and doubt that there'll be a 50% difference in terms of graphics and such, this topic has been made several times now. At this point, people have made up their minds on what they chose to believe.
---
Death isn't the exit of existence. It's the entrance into eternity. R.I.P Zora Nelson 3/6/13 Forever loved
#3VioletZer0(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 5:42:33 PM
pblimp360 posted...
While I agree with you and doubt that there'll be a 50% difference in terms of graphics and such, this topic has been made several times now. At this point, people have made up their minds on what they chose to believe.

This thread has been made already? Wow, faith in humanity +1!

This is kind of an obscure aspect of consoles and it isn't really readily apparent to the consumers.
#4Orange_ApplesPosted 9/16/2013 5:44:16 PM
They're going to fall behind. PS3 was more difficult to develop for, the games under-performed and the 360 moved ahead. If PS4 is really that much easier to develop for then developers making multi-platform titles will make it on PC, port it to both consoles and the XB1 might under-perform.

If someone has both the XB1 might end up being for exclusives. Lots of people did that for the seventh gen where they played everything on 360 and used their PS3 for exclusives.

How strong XB1 exclusives are? we wont know until we see what they do in 5 years.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#5pblimp360Posted 9/16/2013 5:47:05 PM
VioletZer0 posted...

This is kind of an obscure aspect of consoles and it isn't really readily apparent to the consumers.

Well, actually looking at the link, it was actually that other one that Edge (who seems all but biased for Sony) wrote, so I guess this topic hasn't been done exactly.

Expect the same Sony boys to troll though.
---
Death isn't the exit of existence. It's the entrance into eternity. R.I.P Zora Nelson 3/6/13 Forever loved
#6VioletZer0(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 5:49:49 PM
Well, the PS4 board is for discussing the PS4. Xbox One board is for discussing the Xbox One and PS4.
#7IroncondorzPosted 9/16/2013 5:52:28 PM
It's basically the same setup as the 360. So while it is harder to develop for, most developers are already familiar with the setup.
#8VioletZer0(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 5:58:07 PM
Ironcondorz posted...
It's basically the same setup as the 360. So while it is harder to develop for, most developers are already familiar with the setup.

That's...odd then. Why are developers who have frequently worked on the Xbox 360 (Like that guy from People Can Fly) saying the PS4 is 50% more powerful.

Maybe I spoke too soon.
#9DelRowePosted 9/16/2013 6:53:36 PM
pblimp360 posted...
VioletZer0 posted...

Well, actually looking at the link, it was actually that other one that Edge (who seems all but biased for Sony) wrote, so I guess this topic hasn't been done exactly.

Expect the same Sony boys to troll though.

Edge isn't biased. Just like they are calling the PS4 the best system this gen, they also endorsed the original Xbox, and then the Wii for the next gen.
---
You are not in control.
#10TheAmazingTrevoPosted 9/16/2013 6:54:44 PM
Some things are important to remember when reading the "PS4 is 50% better" reports. Edge is a magazine in the UK, who traditionally flock to Playstation to begin with, and their editorials are going to reflect their bias. The developers were anonymous, so we have no idea what kind of experience they have in the first place, what their goals were when using the machines, or even if they were indie, first-time devs, or AAA franchises. Several big name developers have already said that working with the Xbox One was very comparable to the PS4 (Hideo Kojima was one of them, and he's got an extreme dislike for Xbox). Only one developer in the Edge article actually stated that they disliked working with the Xbox One, and maybe it's a dev that has worked with PS in the past and is having a difficult time adjusting to the new platform. Reports circulated today that Bungie has had a struggle creating a multi-platform game while creating Destiny. Their struggle has been that Xbox has always been their tool, and Playstation has been a new experience and has offered its own challenges. The reports state that they've welcomed the challenge and expect it to be worthwhile in the end. I think most devs in the industry are going to view it the same way and try to capitalize on the multi-platform front. Some will find Xbox One comfortable, familiar and friendly, while others will think Sony's device is advantageous. Too many people are leaping to conclusions over one biased, over-the-top article written solely to stir up a hornets' nest.