How do you feel about the Xbox One being a more difficult system to work on?

#31Ramsus082Posted 9/17/2013 9:42:17 AM
It won't be harder than the X360/PS3 for sure, but likely harder than the PS4. We don't know how much more time/resources will need to be spent on the X1 version to get similar performance yet, and we may never know.
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#32-CheeseSteak-Posted 9/17/2013 9:54:55 AM
I personally think it's a ploy to make for devs to only focus on making certain games for their(MS) console and their console only.

If a dev wants to make a splash they would have to jump through too many hoops making a game for one console and then having to essentially remake that same game just so it works on the other, so I imagine new up and coming devs would end up making console - exclusive products that make MS more money and at the same time handcuff devs who don't feel like doing double duty just to make that extra buck going multi - plat.

Yeah I know I have my tinfoil hat on with this one, but it's just my two cents.
---
http://i.imgur.com/oYxrozA.jpg http://i.imgur.com/bf7V5UA.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CX2wuHR.jpg http://i.imgur.com/wrC7PDT.jpg
#33VioletZer0(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 10:19:19 AM
If the Xbox One is operating on the same setup as the 360, then why not make it backwards compatible?
#34assassin10133Posted 9/17/2013 11:35:26 AM
VioletZer0 posted...
If the Xbox One is operating on the same setup as the 360, then why not make it backwards compatible?

Same memory setup, different architecture, they're using x86 this gen compared to PowerPC last, X360 games weren't designed to run on x86 so wouldn't work without either emulation, putting X360 hardware in XB1 or going the Gaikai route
#35Shik_stickPosted 9/17/2013 1:24:53 PM
Orange_Apples posted...
They're going to fall behind. PS3 was more difficult to develop for, the games under-performed and the 360 moved ahead. If PS4 is really that much easier to develop for then developers making multi-platform titles will make it on PC, port it to both consoles and the XB1 might under-perform.

If someone has both the XB1 might end up being for exclusives. Lots of people did that for the seventh gen where they played everything on 360 and used their PS3 for exclusives.

How strong XB1 exclusives are? we wont know until we see what they do in 5 years.

But then the PS3 moved back ahead with much better exclusives, more units sold worldwide and a better online service.
---
E3 2012 Best Games- Assassin's Creed 3, Watch Dogs, The Last of us, SplinterCell:BlackList, Tomb Raider-nObama2012
#36IroncondorzPosted 9/18/2013 8:10:17 PM
VioletZer0 posted...
Ironcondorz posted...
It's basically the same setup as the 360. So while it is harder to develop for, most developers are already familiar with the setup.

That's...odd then. Why are developers who have frequently worked on the Xbox 360 (Like that guy from People Can Fly) saying the PS4 is 50% more powerful.

Maybe I spoke too soon.

I don't know why someone would say the PS4 is more powerful as an answer to a discussion about programming difficultly. Maybe this developer guy is an idiot?
#37pjnelsonPosted 9/18/2013 10:31:40 PM
VioletZer0 posted...
Ironcondorz posted...
It's basically the same setup as the 360. So while it is harder to develop for, most developers are already familiar with the setup.

That's...odd then. Why are developers who have frequently worked on the Xbox 360 (Like that guy from People Can Fly) saying the PS4 is 50% more powerful.

Maybe I spoke too soon.

You responded with an unrelated statement. Being 50% more powerful was unrelated to ease of development. When developers talk about ease of development, they aren't talking about how much processing power is under the hood. PS2 was more powerful than N64 and PSX, yet more difficult to build for.
---
I'm not here for friends. I'm here for the truth to the best of my knowledge of it, even if it's not what people want to hear.
#38DesperateMonkeyPosted 9/18/2013 10:46:57 PM
DelRowe posted...
pblimp360 posted...
1. It isn't relevant as that's an old ass cover with likely different writes/editors etc. It has no bearing on how they are NOW.

2. I never called them fanboys of any system, so stop putting words into my mouth/on my fingers.

3. They've had more than just this unprofessional cover to which that claim holds water. That cover was just the most obvious.

Enough of this back and forth though. I think they are and you wont be changing my mind anytime soon.

Okay you said they were biased. Not quite fanboy, but you still think they have an unreasonable preference towards the PS4 for some reason. I'm curious as to why you think this. Do you think they have some agenda against MS or something?

Because certain opinions are popular and something like this stirs up traffic and interest.... like it clearly has. They are a business.

Also, the system isn't 50% more powerful... even without ES ram the system isn't 50% more powerful. Its much easier to develop for which means it costs less time and money to achieve similar results, a gap that shrinks as developers become familiar with each hardware. Basically, the PS4 should be able to start the race running while XB1 is still trying to pick up steam which means we actually should see bigger difference in one of the first waves of games (maybe year 1 games).

Launch titles don't count. They won't look that different because devs haven't pushed either systems yet.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H