Ask Microsoft Anything About Xbox One - 9/16 update

#1regsantotomasPosted 9/16/2013 7:47:49 PM
From IGN
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

What is the minimum distance you can stand and have the Xbox One Kinect function properly?

MARC WHITTEN, CHIEF XBOX ONE PLATFORM ARCHITECT: Well, it depends on how tall you are and where you place your sensor. But on average, a 6 feet tall person can stand 2 feet closer than they could with the first generation Kinect sensor.

Will you offer extension cables for the Kinect sensor? For those of us whose AV racks are a bit further than 3 meters away...

WHITTEN: It is something we are looking at, but don’t have anything to announce at this time.

Any chance, with the power of the cloud and new online functionality, that games and experiences like 1 vs. 100 might come back? i.e. "live" video games?

WHITTEN: Great question – we believe in the power of the community and live events and “1 vs. 100” is a great example of that in the past. We’ve been focused on building experiences around live or linear content – sports, fitness, live events and more. You’ll see many of these ideas in products like our NFL experience, the UFC experience and much more. This is an area where we will keep experimenting and learning with our community.

Is there a more robust stat tracking for seeing how long you have played each game?

WHITTEN: In Xbox One you will find a consistent and powerful experience for tracking your own activity and progress in any game or app, as well as comparing your stats with the people you care about. Some of the interesting gameplay statistics you can track include how long you have played and your overall progress on each game. In addition to this, each game and app will be able to showcase compelling and engaging aspects of their title (we call these hero stats) and display this directly on the Xbox One dashboard.

Outside of pinning favorite games, how will I be able to organize my digital games?

WHITTEN: Your home screen always has the five things you've done most recently to give you fast access to the games you play the most. Your library shows you every game and game add-on you own, digital and physical, whether or not you have it installed, sorted by what you've done most recently. But Pins are the best way to organize the games, apps, websites, movies and TV shows, and music you care about.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#2Foxx3kPosted 9/16/2013 7:53:52 PM
I'm so upset that they haven't asked my question.

Hello,

Because many features of the Xbox One rely on having digital copies of games, I am curious to know if retail stores - both on the internet and brick & mortar - will carry 'redemption' cards that can be priced competitively with the physical disc versions of video games. Is this up to the publisher, and if so, does Microsoft have any plans for their first party titles? If this is not allowed, are there plans for the Xbox One's digital market place to remain price competitive with the retail market, which is to say, unlike the Xbox 360's "Games on Demand" marketplace? This is a critical issue that's important to many gamers hoping to transition to an all-digital ecosystem and a response would be greatly appreciated.

I think I'm too aggressive. :'(
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#3bessy67Posted 9/16/2013 7:55:29 PM
Is there a more robust stat tracking for seeing how long you have played each game?

WHITTEN: In Xbox One you will find a consistent and powerful experience for tracking your own activity and progress in any game or app, as well as comparing your stats with the people you care about. Some of the interesting gameplay statistics you can track include how long you have played and your overall progress on each game. In addition to this, each game and app will be able to showcase compelling and engaging aspects of their title (we call these hero stats) and display this directly on the Xbox One dashboard.

That one's kinda cool.
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#4Foxx3kPosted 9/16/2013 7:57:10 PM
bessy67 posted...

That one's kinda cool.

Now my friends can know much easier how much of a loser I am for sinking days and days played into nearly every competitive shooter that comes out. :'(
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#5regsantotomas(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 8:03:14 PM
Foxx3k posted...

Hello,

Because many features of the Xbox One rely on having digital copies of games, I am curious to know if retail stores - both on the internet and brick & mortar - will carry 'redemption' cards that can be priced competitively with the physical disc versions of video games. Is this up to the publisher, and if so, does Microsoft have any plans for their first party titles? If this is not allowed, are there plans for the Xbox One's digital market place to remain price competitive with the retail market, which is to say, unlike the Xbox 360's "Games on Demand" marketplace? This is a critical issue that's important to many gamers hoping to transition to an all-digital ecosystem and a response would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think that it's as much that it's too aggressive as much as your question is too verbose and goes too far into business strategies and relationships that they probably are unwilling to share publicly.

IMO, I think that there will simply be a split DRM system for disc and digital purchases.

I doubt that games digitally will be cheaper on release date either though I wouldn't be surprised to see digital games become more price competitive for older titles.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#6Foxx3kPosted 9/16/2013 8:04:58 PM(edited)
regsantotomas posted...
Foxx3k posted...

Hello,

I don't think that it's as much that it's too aggressive as much as your question is too verbose and goes too far into business strategies and relationships that they probably are unwilling to share publicly.

IMO, I think that there will simply be a split DRM system for disc and digital purchases.

I doubt that games digitally will be cheaper on release date either though I wouldn't be surprised to see digital games become more price competitive for older titles.

Well if you ask me, the question is even more relevant now with the new Call of Duty Ghosts information announcing that retailers will be carrying digital redemption codes for the dual-platform release.

Also the business strategy interests me. :'(
---
#7regsantotomas(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2013 8:07:16 PM(edited)
Foxx3k posted...

Well if you ask me, the question is even more relevant now with the new Call of Duty Ghosts information announcing that retailers will be carrying digital redemption codes for the dual-platform release.

I did not know this. So CoD Ghost will provide the disc AND a digital download for Xbox One in the same retail package?

---
#8Foxx3kPosted 9/16/2013 8:09:21 PM
regsantotomas posted...
Foxx3k posted...

I did not know this. So CoD Ghost will provide the disc AND a digital download for Xbox One?

Ah, no, I must not have explained correctly.

Microsoft is offering a cross-platform digital release of Call of Duty Ghosts. It will activate digital copies on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One (on a single gamertag). It'll cost $70. But they said that it will be available at retailers.

I wish that it would provide a disk + digital download option.
---
#9whitelytningPosted 9/16/2013 8:18:17 PM
bessy67 posted...

That one's kinda cool.

I generally do like stats about my play but the one I really really do hate is time played. it just makes me think of the better ways I could have used that time. I hate that you can't turn it off in some games. It just depresses me.
---
http://i.imgur.com/iZdWIKJ.jpg
#10FinzFan4lifePosted 9/16/2013 10:48:49 PM
Foxx3k posted...
regsantotomas posted...
Foxx3k posted...

I did not know this. So CoD Ghost will provide the disc AND a digital download for Xbox One?

Ah, no, I must not have explained correctly.

Microsoft is offering a cross-platform digital release of Call of Duty Ghosts. It will activate digital copies on both Xbox 360 and Xbox One (on a single gamertag). It'll cost $70. But they said that it will be available at retailers.

I wish that it would provide a disk + digital download option.

Oh so you want the original Xbox one

The reason they don't do this is so you can't have the digital version and sell the physical copy
---
Not Changing until Miami Dolphins Win a Super Bowl signed 02-09-2012