Both consoles are maxed out before they are even released

#1mrshowtime333Posted 9/17/2013 4:59:57 AM
Does that bother anyone else? These are supposed to be 7-10 year consoles and devs are already maxing them out before they are in our homes. This isnt like before, both consoles are like PCs, theres not learning curve. So dont believe the "it will take a few years to unlock the power" excuse.

I realize its a very tough thing for these companies to produce a powerful enough box but at a affordable enough price.

Personally resolution isnt something I care about. 720p is enough as long as the gameplay is solid and at 60fps. But its still a bit disappointing that these things are already behind the curve.
#2VioletZer0Posted 9/17/2013 5:03:01 AM
This does not bother me at all.
#3Hi CPosted 9/17/2013 5:20:11 AM
XB may have a learning curve of a couple years because of the RAM.

PS4 will come out of the gate nearly maxed out.

Next gen will be more about using the time to create assets that can fully utilized by the systems not learning to use the system to present your assets.
---
You'll be my John G.
#4kingofjamaicaPosted 9/17/2013 5:20:57 AM
The previous consoles were maxed out at launch too. Look at the difference 7 years makes from PS3 launch to The Last of Us.

Optimization is the name of the game when developing for fixed hardware.
---
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.
#5capnhowdy18Posted 9/17/2013 5:56:29 AM
As its been sayed the consoles last gen were "maxed out" launch. What they really mean by the statement is that system resources being used where in the high 90's. clearly they were able to get more performance out those current gen machines.

The thing that does scare me about the simpler architecture of the next gen though, makes me wonder is if well see the same level of growth in the systems. Presumably with simpler architectures there are less ins and outs to learn, but also less tricks to be pulled off to extract that better performance.
#6Sniper_BrosefPosted 9/17/2013 6:02:24 AM(edited)
mrshowtime333 posted...
Does that bother anyone else? These are supposed to be 7-10 year consoles and devs are already maxing them out before they are in our homes. This isnt like before, both consoles are like PCs, theres not learning curve. So dont believe the "it will take a few years to unlock the power" excuse.

I realize its a very tough thing for these companies to produce a powerful enough box but at a affordable enough price.

Personally resolution isnt something I care about. 720p is enough as long as the gameplay is solid and at 60fps. But its still a bit disappointing that these things are already behind the curve.

You are absolutely, 100% wrong. These consoles are not maxed out. They haven't even started to crack the potential of both these systems. Xbox 360 was like a PC when it came out and look at what happened there. As the years pass developers find ways to fully use the hardware to be more efficient. This will not change this gen.

capnhowdy18 posted...
As its been sayed the consoles last gen were "maxed out" launch. What they really mean by the statement is that system resources being used where in the high 90's. clearly they were able to get more performance out those current gen machines.

The thing that does scare me about the simpler architecture of the next gen though, makes me wonder is if well see the same level of growth in the systems. Presumably with simpler architectures there are less ins and outs to learn, but also less tricks to be pulled off to extract that better performance.

I wouldn't worry about that one bit. Currently, games look better than 360 games but certainly not leaps and bounds. However, the 360 had 1/16 the RAM of the One and other components we're also scaled accordingly. This gen is going to be less about pushing the graphical envelope and more about pushing expansive, seamless environments. The graphical difference will be there but it won't be incredibly noticeable until 2014-2015. You will really see the next gen shine when Halo 5/Uncharted 4 drop.
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#7bessy67Posted 9/17/2013 6:57:40 AM
Here's a good post on Forbes showing the difference between launch 360 games and recent releases. Don't believe devs when they say they're already maxing out the systems.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/09/17/a-visual-reminder-of-how-far-xbox-360-games-have-come-in-eight-years/?partner=yahootix
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#8DamnEvilDogPosted 9/17/2013 7:04:25 AM
I highly doubt ether console is "maxed out" in the sense that games will not look better.

There are damn good looking titles coming out when the consoles launch and they are the best the game makers can do right now with some exceptions of course.
#9The_DarkwalkerPosted 9/17/2013 7:20:53 AM
TC, do you believe that because that's what you read somewhere? Someone said, so it must true, right?
---
Evil always wins because Good is dumb.
#10MRL3G3NDPosted 9/17/2013 7:39:02 AM
so much ignorance here lmao

nothing is maxed out...consoles held back the true capabilities of the technical advancements in the past 5 years.

devs develop games for the lowest common denominator (which is the console), and port it up

if you look at the comparison...there is little to no difference between high end pc and consoles

http://youtu.be/QT54QWvAOgQ

consoles are running on 512mb of RAM...todays PC's are running on average 8GB

the difference should be night and day
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q