A question about cloud computing...

#1khardboredPosted 9/17/2013 1:01:41 PM
First, please, those of you who don't care much for the Xbox One, feel free to just go ahead and hit back. Or at the very least, keep it civil.

Anyway, I understand that the One will utilize cloud-computing in various games. I am just curious how that plays out over the internet since your machine isn't doing whatever calculation gets designated to the cloud. How much of a roll does internet speed play in this? I would assume a standard, 1.5MBPS or higher connection will be fine and that faster speeds will not equate to better/faster/different cloud computing...

Anyone know exactly how that works??
---
As I was going up the stairs I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. I wish, I wish he'd go away.
#2khardbored(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 1:03:12 PM
Also, the reason I mentioned PS4 fanboys and the like is simply because I don't want this topic to derail or turn into some rant about "omgz, ps4 is teh ownz0rs krad ereet konsul yoh!"
---
As I was going up the stairs I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. I wish, I wish he'd go away.
#3GiannyBoy0924Posted 9/17/2013 1:08:44 PM
Not to mention anyone without unlimited internet will get killed on their bills if they are constantly using "The Cloud"
---
"People are making apocalypse jokes like there's no tomorrow... Too soon?"
-Ellie
#4Ramsus082Posted 9/17/2013 1:10:52 PM
khardbored posted...
First, please, those of you who don't care much for the Xbox One, feel free to just go ahead and hit back. Or at the very least, keep it civil.

Anyway, I understand that the One will utilize cloud-computing in various games. I am just curious how that plays out over the internet since your machine isn't doing whatever calculation gets designated to the cloud. How much of a roll does internet speed play in this? I would assume a standard, 1.5MBPS or higher connection will be fine and that faster speeds will not equate to better/faster/different cloud computing...

Anyone know exactly how that works??

It's online only, no exceptions. So, games like MMO's will take advantage of cloud processing exactly how they've always been doing it. If you've ever played WoW, it's the same thing; NPC AI and some environment stuff gets processed on their servers rather than your PC.

But no, it won't be helping your single-player, non-MMO type games at all.
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#5Ch3wyPosted 9/17/2013 1:15:06 PM
Yeah it's only going to help with MMO games.

If the cloud is going to be doing resource intensive calculations, there's no way they would have enough servers to do anything significant for every persons single player games. But if it's in one game where all the results of these calculations and such get transmitted to several people in one game, that's very practical.

I think they recommended 3mbps but it would probably depend on the game.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#6khardbored(Topic Creator)Posted 9/17/2013 1:17:03 PM
What type of things can we expect from cloud computing in the Xbox Ones environment? Have we been given any examples? I read somewhere that it is supposed to help with visual fidelity but I really don't see how that can be accurate. Well, in a round about way...maybe. A server somewhere else could be calculating X things thus freeing up cycles on the CPU (NOT the gpu for this right?) for other tasks, all of which helps increase anything graphically related that is handled on the CPU side...
---
#7Ramsus082Posted 9/17/2013 1:18:52 PM
Ch3wy posted...

If the cloud is going to be doing resource intensive calculations, there's no way they would have enough servers to do anything significant for every persons single player games. But if it's in one game where all the results of these calculations and such get transmitted to several people in one game, that's very practical.

Still doesn't sound enough for much other than some baked lighting effects(...) since game code is processed locally at the nanosecond scale.
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#8MrImpatient35Posted 9/17/2013 1:21:03 PM
I haven't seen anything concrete about cloud yet. I just know that it helps with AI, and other minor things. The most significant thing I've seen is the cloud lighting, but I'm not sure if that's definitely gonna happen or not. I wouldn't expect it to do anything major.
---
Dost thou even hoist?
Dead Rising 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 are already a done deal!
#9Ch3wyPosted 9/17/2013 1:22:46 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
Ch3wy posted...

Still doesn't sound enough for much other than some baked lighting effects(...) since game code is processed locally at the nanosecond scale.

As far as visual things I don't expect anything from it.

But it could make some massive, real time worlds in games. Thousands of AIs just going on about their day. I think a lot of MMOs already pretty much do this.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#10CyDetrakDPosted 9/18/2013 1:04:46 PM
The cloud is something that isn't being utilized with Ryse being 900p, Killer Instinct being 720p, and Dead Rising 3 being "Dynamic Resolutions barely able to keep a constant 30fps:. I mean Ms has hyped the almighty cloud to be a killer feature why isn't being used to help the three launch exclusives? Well to answer my own question the cloud will only help with Ai and Mmo games but Ms seriously needs to clarify what all the cloud can do which does not help the graphics get magically better or a bunch of people who don't browse Gamefaqs or other forums will be disappointed when the One comes out in November since so far its been misleading to the general public.