Is the X1 a cable box or a gaming console? Philosophical debate thread!!!!

#21Juvart24Posted 9/18/2013 11:18:08 AM
regsantotomas posted...
False dilemma.

Is a smart phone a phone? Is it a gaming device? Is it a calculator? A GPS?

yes.
---
"A true hero turns into a werewolf, kills a village full of idiots, then pimps their women out for profit to buy new armor" - Exar0s
#22zephirrainesPosted 9/18/2013 11:45:54 AM
So xbox is or tv and ps4 is facebook. Tc must be getting a wiiu but the tablet will confuse him....
#23DelRowePosted 9/18/2013 12:11:49 PM
zephirraines posted...
So xbox is or tv and ps4 is facebook. Tc must be getting a wiiu but the tablet will confuse him....

Sony hasn't even mentioned Facebook since the February reveal.
---
You are not in control.
#24MrImpatient35Posted 9/18/2013 12:18:35 PM
An_Ethiopian posted...
whitelytning posted...
It depends on what the user wants out of it.

/thread.

Surely MS's influence on the product will sway its usefulness. First advert of the product focused completely on the cable side of things. Hmmmmmmmm.

Regardless of what MS advertises it as, that wont change what I will personally use it for. Then again, I'm not easily swayed one way or another. I'll be using it as both. Mainly a gaming console though.
---
Dost thou even hoist?
Dead Rising 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 are already a done deal!
#25regsantotomasPosted 9/18/2013 1:03:42 PM
MrImpatient35 posted...
Regardless of what MS advertises it as, that wont change what I will personally use it for. Then again, I'm not easily swayed one way or another. I'll be using it as both. Mainly a gaming console though.

I think that at the end of the day, the Xbox One will reach a variety of consumers. Like yourself, I will primarily use it for gaming but most of the other members in my household will use it for other things like IPTV and apps like Skype.

There is no evidence that this device can't be all those things as well as a gaming console. In fact, if it were only a gaming console, it would be a far less interesting product IMO.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#26Satchmo25Posted 9/18/2013 1:41:57 PM
DelRowe posted...
zephirraines posted...

Sony hasn't even mentioned Facebook since the February reveal.

Not mentioning it means what exactly? That they're going to support it half-assed like trophies and six-axxis and Home? They put a dedicated button on the controller so they better support it.
---
GameFAQS... a forum where the mods fall asleep for days at a time and when they do their job, they do it badly.
#27Charging_ZebraPosted 9/18/2013 1:44:23 PM
Actually it's a converter for a cable box. Seeing as how it doesn't provide any actual cable...
#28kakarot-uchihaPosted 9/18/2013 10:52:46 PM
great topic. the ps3 and 360, and even wii are wholly considered consoles. this last gen added a layer of features to be expected on a console. i think its great.

ms marketing WAS terrible, it must be judged by results. nobody would have seen the new 360 or 720 having actual resistance. what? it was a given the 720(going by all the pre-reveal hype) was going to at least as great as the 360 and maybe more. but to have actual tangible friction and still be pushing uphill. no way. if it had great marketing it would be this real close 50/50 battle with ps4.

i honestly think its cause they thought they could take a chunk of sonys market. i think that because so many of thier 'points' and 'advantages' ps3 already had. the ps3 is a set-top box. ive had 2 360's and i never new it didnt do updates overnight. they advertised the 24 check-ins being able to update your games automatically while you slept. i literally never knew it didnt already. they worded features like these as if they were exclusive and next-gen. that just left it open to all the bullet points of criticism that were actually non-issues.

they built it as a set-top and marketed it like that. not a bad thing by itself. my ps3 has been my only device for 4 years, except when i got another 360 for awhile. internet to ps3 to tv, im using it right now. ive got a ton of movies, netflix, occasionally hulu plus, i watch movies and anime and read manga, heavily into politics... my point is that im very active online not to mention play the crap out of some games and i couldn't on my 360 alone. instead of gearing this to the fanbase it was an offensive campaign and it obviously alienated large chunks of fans. i only know 4 gamers that have tv.

i wrote a topic called "this needs to be said" where i state some philosophical points. i said it better there, i think philosophically ms offered an almost total loss of privacy in exchange for almost total brand synergy. it hasnt launched yet but a small install base might definitely affect that experience to the point where it might not even happen, as in resembling the original vision. marketing bears the brunt of this, its almost launch and we're still speculating about, the cloud hypotheticals, the kinnect GAME HYPOTHETICALS. there shouldn't be any questions this big this close to launch. nothing vague like that when 'xbox is kinnect' and the new product is such a radical departure from the old one.

so i think it was trying to attack a new demographic without bridging the gap of the current demographic essentially. if your so inclined and are familiar with the wall of text technique, read 'this needs to be said' its basically about the privacy
#29SilentS89Posted 9/19/2013 12:13:49 AM
It would be pretty silly to market the Xbox One as a "reasonable business expenditure" if it was a gaming console.