Why do few gamers embrace 3D in games?

#1levyjl1988Posted 9/17/2013 9:29:40 PM
I've been enjoying a lot of 3D movies, games, etc. Stereoscopic 3D with an 3D active glasses have been a very exciting and visual treat for my senses.

What I don't get is why people are refusing 3D altogether? There seems to be hesitation in that direction. Some of the complaints I don't understand are people whining about that it doesn't add to the experience, or it feels gimmicky, or even that it darkens the picture, etc. But most of these complaints can be alleviated by simple fine tuning. Darken images, just turn up brightness, getting migraines, well then that's a different story.

3D in games is bloody amazing and I'm sure once the Oculus Rift comes around people will turn around and be more accepting of it in the media. Nintendo 3DS, IMAX 3D, Sony 3DTVs are really pushing it and the effort is amazing. Avatar in 3D, simply mind blowing.

Then again I'm assuming people who refuse it haven't adapted tot he technology yet and are too broke to get in on the experience. The glasses complaint doesn't inconvenience me one bit, probably because I wear glasses anyways and used to it.
---
I hate games with bad game design
#2whitelytningPosted 9/17/2013 9:50:59 PM
3D costs money.
Gamers have 0 money.
---
http://i.imgur.com/iZdWIKJ.jpg
#3_Sovereign_Posted 9/17/2013 9:59:25 PM
Wearing sunglasses for more than an hour gives me headaches, and even if it didn't I wouldn't want to wear glasses while I watch a movie/play a game.

3DS is fantastic, though I don't keep the 3D on too long. A handheld is never stable for various reasons and watching the picture distort every 30 seconds from movement isn't appealing.

3D was something I experienced when I was like, 8 or something, and while cool for my young mind, it was never something I thought would be "neat" to have in my house...and it isn't.
---
"Microsoft demands simultaneous multiplatform releases" - Type that into your search bar and you'll see why you should buy Rayman on Wii U, not ports.
#4GuardianShadow0Posted 9/17/2013 9:59:40 PM
3D has always given me a headache. Just don't make it mandatory and I won't care.
---
Killer of Topics
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RYXYmYq3kWc
#5ORANGE666Posted 9/17/2013 10:00:33 PM
3D has been around for decades, it's just a fad. And Oculus is virtual reality not referred to as "3D"
#6Spetsnaz420Posted 9/18/2013 1:00:05 AM
I don't enjoy losing resolution for the crappy 3D we have now
---
I don't conform to social convention
#7BalmungTheAzurePosted 9/18/2013 2:07:05 AM
My 55" Samsung LED does 3D, and I absolutely love it. I use it at least a couple times a week. Games with really good lighting are especially nice. I think the key to the best experience is to be far enough away from the tv to find the sweet spot.
---
"Game Faqs Needs You, Balmung" -Samurai_Man
XBL: OG Aries PSN: VirusX77
#8EoinPosted 9/18/2013 2:46:58 AM
Is there really any mystery to why 3D hasn't taken off? Let's look at the reasons briefly:

1. It's more expensive.
2. HDTV migration is quite recent for many people and there's still people transitioning to HD. Some people went from SD to 720p to 1080p. Some even went from 4:3 SD to 16:9 SD to EDTV to 720p to 1080p. There are limits on how many times people will upgrade TV technology.
3. It is extremely obvious that glasses-free 3D TV sets are on the way later and nobody wants to be the sucker watching TV with silly glasses in 2016.
4. Only two pairs of glasses come with most 3DTVs. Additional pairs are expensive.
5. 3D Glasses are often clunky and many people think that they look stupid.
6. Virtually 100% of content made before 2009 or so is made for 2D. 95% or more of content made after 2009 is made for 2D. All 3D content works in 2D as well. There is no such thing as an exclusively 3D film or an exclusively 3D game (or, if there is, people aren't aware of its existence, which means it may as well not exist).
7. Most people with glasses don't want to wear two pairs of glasses. If you do, great, but you're an exception.
8. Games in 3D don't perform as well as the same game played in 2D.

People aren't sold on the actual benefits of 3D, and that is not, in any sense, the fault of those people.
#9AvirosbPosted 9/18/2013 2:52:37 AM
My eyes aren't fond of that kind of visual depth.
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#10Auction SniperPosted 9/18/2013 2:52:41 AM
While 3D is great, the novelty just isn't enough to get people to ditch their 5 year old LCD sets (The same with 4k).
---
Sorry i don't know what the hell steam is. I thought it was that stuff that fogs up your bathroom after a hot shower. - STN79