Memory Constraints

#11kingofjamaicaPosted 9/18/2013 5:59:50 PM
They aren't complaining about it having a lack of memory, they're complaining about the memory setup.

The way it is now, they basically have to force everything through the 32MB of ESRAM. That's the only way to keep bandwidth up between the GPU and DDR3.

Not only do they have to use it for data transfer between CPU and GPU to the DDR3 if they want speed, they also have to push their framebuffer through it. So they really have to keep track of what they're doing or else they'll flood the ESRAM and performance will plummet.

The other reason they're complaining is because they don't have to worry about that on PS4. Both CPU and GPU just pull from the same memory pool. All the developers have to do is tell the data which bus to go through. Same thing happened with the 360 and PS3. Devs complained because it was harder to make games on PS3.
---
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.
#12PraetorXynPosted 9/18/2013 6:52:30 PM
kingofjamaica posted...
They aren't complaining about it having a lack of memory, they're complaining about the memory setup.

The way it is now, they basically have to force everything through the 32MB of ESRAM. That's the only way to keep bandwidth up between the GPU and DDR3.

Not only do they have to use it for data transfer between CPU and GPU to the DDR3 if they want speed, they also have to push their framebuffer through it. So they really have to keep track of what they're doing or else they'll flood the ESRAM and performance will plummet.

The other reason they're complaining is because they don't have to worry about that on PS4. Both CPU and GPU just pull from the same memory pool. All the developers have to do is tell the data which bus to go through. Same thing happened with the 360 and PS3. Devs complained because it was harder to make games on PS3.

This. The case can be made that developers should be used to it by now since they had to do the same thing with the 360, but given that they don't have to worry about it on the PS4 anymore (nor on the PC), I can see why they're complaining.

The situation just makes it more likely they'll develop for PC, port to PS4, and then port to One, which is pretty much the exact reverse order the majority used this gen.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#13MrImpatient35Posted 9/18/2013 7:53:17 PM
iamdanthaman posted...
TrickyPony posted...
who wants to tell him the X1 has the same amount of memory as PS4.

It actually has more. Not by much, but it does have 32MB more memory than the PS4.

Only 32MB more? I thought it was more like 500MB more? Ah well.
---
Dost thou even hoist?
Dead Rising 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 are already a done deal!
#14kakarot-uchihaPosted 9/18/2013 9:04:51 PM
thats why i keep coming back to this site. i clicked cuz i expected a real topic, quickly saw i was mistaken but thought juuuust maybe and clicked page 2 and look at that, factual information with some opinion and interesting points.
im pretty sure some great people will figure out ways to optomize, that esram is screaming. devs complaining about this might just be whining and mean nothing, not all devs are great at what they do and im not sure all even like it. look at bf3 triple a but when you lay down you can stick your legs through a wall, our just have your chest stick out of a shipping container. THE ENTIRE LMG CODE! thats bf3 with tons of employees. skyrim? nuff said. bad ports in general just due to laziness! but no worries its mosts dream job, i imagine the glitches even smaller this round.
#15DamnEvilDogPosted 9/18/2013 9:09:52 PM
Tc is just pushing buttons or maybe they are that unaware.

It gets more and more tragic here as the days go by, it is only gonna get worse when the PS4 comes out and people go full on idiotic and troll with the might of a god... a really stupid god but still.