Role reversal?

#1pigman2003Posted 9/19/2013 5:13:49 AM
Does anyone else feel that these consoles mirror last gen?

Last gen the Xbox 360 lacked exclusives games but had the hardware that was easy to work with and was cheaper, whereas the PS3 had the most exclusives.

Now it feels like the Xbox one has the exclusives and the PS4 has the hardware and price.

of course they're other factors involved but I just have this sense that we're reliving last generation console wars with a new name.
#2jairusmonillasPosted 9/19/2013 5:28:25 AM
Microsoft learned it the hardway, Sony's PS3 was a result of overconfidence from PS2's success. Microsoft thought they can easily repeat 360's success and had the guts to force gamers with anti-consumer policies cause they thought they already won gamers' heart and Sony had no chance with PS4. They learned that there's no such thing as loyalty in the gaming world.

Gamers are the ones who decide not Sony, Not Microsoft, Not Nintendo.
---
All of you, want to be loved... needed by someone, so we look to others... By ourselves, we are lonely, so we try to draw together to live
- Elly [ Xenogears ]
#3SunDevil77Posted 9/19/2013 5:36:31 AM
360 actually had a badass lineup for the first few years. It started getting pretty dry around 2010. Still amazing games, just a lot of time between.
---
The average lifespan of a raccoon is ~5 years.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#4DionysusPosted 9/19/2013 5:42:25 AM
I think it is a role reversal, but it's more that Sony screwed up by pushing Blu-Ray and inflating the price of the system, and now MS might be screwing up by doing the same thing with Kinnect.

I actually think MS is worse off with exclusives than they were with the 360. They really gutted their 1st party devs.
#5TheMeanRockPosted 9/19/2013 5:44:46 AM
The difference here is that it is still very clear that the Xbox is looking at the casual market (latter years of the 360) I wouldnt expect much to change in the future...

I can't believe anyone is looking forward to eithers launch lineup... pitiful as far as I am concerned.

I am seriously on the fence as to whether or not I am going to keep a preorder or just say screw it and wait till something decent comes out.. At this point either console would sit there as a media machine.. because I cant justify the buying a single one of the games coming out.

(Infamous, and TF are big maybes... but they arent launch.. and I can wait besides)
---
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8059/8199250304_01370f5a4e_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8337/8207044795_85d12224dd_z.jpg
#6Bikes-Posted 9/19/2013 6:02:00 AM
TheMeanRock posted...
The difference here is that it is still very clear that the Xbox is looking at the casual market (latter years of the 360) I wouldnt expect much to change in the future...

I can't believe anyone is looking forward to eithers launch lineup... pitiful as far as I am concerned.

I am seriously on the fence as to whether or not I am going to keep a preorder or just say screw it and wait till something decent comes out.. At this point either console would sit there as a media machine.. because I cant justify the buying a single one of the games coming out.

(Infamous, and TF are big maybes... but they arent launch.. and I can wait besides)

To be fair launch titles generally never good, it's just a matter of not really having the time, a good game takes years to make and who knows how long the devs had.
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#7pigman2003(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 6:02:13 AM
I can agree that Microsoft marketing priorities are somewhat questionable but I have to disagree with lack of good games argument.

I personally think the Xbox One launch and launch window line up is the best in console history.

not to mention the flurry of AAA games they've announced for next year.

If I had one complaint it would be that Microsoft is lacking in first party studio's. They can't rely on only a few anymore.

But they've opened quite a few new studio's and I'm interested in the new black tusk game.

Is Microsoft going to keep dishing out money for 3rd party exclusives or are they going to invest in developing new studios like black tusk?

Though I still can't believe that after the PS3 hardware debacle that Microsoft would go out of their way to implement eSRAM instead of more powerful normal RAM, but who knows, maybe it'll be a trump card in the future.
#8MrSpaM111Posted 9/19/2013 6:40:40 AM(edited)
Dionysus posted...
I think it is a role reversal, but it's more that Sony screwed up by pushing Blu-Ray and inflating the price of the system, and now MS might be screwing up by doing the same thing with Kinnect.

I actually think MS is worse off with exclusives than they were with the 360. They really gutted their 1st party devs.

Sony screwed up by pushing Blu Ray?

What you mean the disc format everybody is using next gen? The format that dominated the movies market and completely wiped the floor with HD DVD?

Don't quite understand where you've got 'blu ray was a screw up' from
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#982xenoPosted 9/19/2013 6:44:31 AM
pigman2003 posted...
Does anyone else feel that these consoles mirror last gen?

Last gen the Xbox 360 lacked exclusives games but had the hardware that was easy to work with and was cheaper, whereas the PS3 had the most exclusives.

Now it feels like the Xbox one has the exclusives and the PS4 has the hardware and price.

of course they're other factors involved but I just have this sense that we're reliving last generation console wars with a new name.

What?

The launch lineup of the X1 is oddly similar to the 360. It has hyped legacy sequel game that will most likely be a dud (Perfect Dark Zero/Killer Instinct), obligatory racing game (PGR3/Forza 5), "horror themed" game (Condemned/DR3), the technical achiever (Kameo/Ryse), bunch of third party games that can be played elsewhere....

Was it really that bad that people forget about that launch? I oddly remember it being hyped up just the same as the Xbox One launch...

Are all these games in the xbox one launch supposed to be 90+ games?
---
Shwing
#10DionysusPosted 9/19/2013 6:54:20 AM
MrSpaM111 posted...
Dionysus posted...

Sony screwed up by pushing Blu Ray?

What you mean the disc format everybody is using next gen? The format that dominated the movies market and completely wiped the floor with HD DVD?

Don't quite understand where you've got 'blu ray was a screw up' from

They lost half half of their marketshare, which was quite large. Blu-Ray was too expensive and immature at the time that the PS3 launched.