The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

A little perspective into the 4:1 ratio for preorders

#1Kosmo240985Posted 9/19/2013 6:50:42 AM
The real reason is quite simple. Even xbox 360/ps3 was similar.

sony is a hardware manufacturer. Their business is deepy seeding in distrobution and manufacturing facilities. Each of which can easily be converted from manufacturing a tv or a ps3/4.

microsoft is not a manufacturing company by nature. it is a software company. their business is not deeply seeded in the production of product, rather the development of product.

this is also why i believe the xbone and ps4 will even out for the most part. ps4 better hardware, xbox one (although more difficult to develop for) better software.

when the 360 released there was a huge shortage for months, when ps3 released there was never a shortage. i picked up a ps3 day one without waiting. xbox i waited at walmart for almost 20 hours for a midnight release. and they only had about 30-40 consoles and the pattern continued for months.

this is what people don't understand. ps4 has higher preorder limits not (only) becasue of demand, but becasue they can provide it. thats why xbox cut theirs off even though there is still room for more preorders.

just an example:
the regional manager at my gamestop stopped by a few weeks ago while i was buying diablo 3 and we discussed the preorders at legnth (i've been shopping at this store since i was in highschool, now 27 and we have a pretty good friendship, he was a clerk back then) said people always ask if there are more xbox preorders, he said that the preorders would be much closer if xbox could allocate more to the stores but due to manufacturing limitations they couldn't.

i know this is my opinion and it is not a proven fact, i do however have a little back ground in accounting for a software firm and an electronics manufacturer. as an accountant you may not know the nitty gritty of day to day but you do understand the structure of the business. wherever there is cost we are knee deep in controls.

tl:dr not saying it's more popular than ps4, just saying the 4 to 1 ratio floating around is skewed due to manufacturing limitations.
---
GT: Kozzie85
#2kingofjamaicaPosted 9/19/2013 6:53:17 AM
You're just assuming Xbox One will have better games.

What makes you think that will happen when all evidence so far puts multiplatforms as better on PS4, and Sony having a much better lineup of first-party studios?
---
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says. - Arbor Day Rule, Grand List of RPG Cliches.
#382xenoPosted 9/19/2013 6:55:53 AM(edited)
Ummm....both the 360 and the PS3 shipped around 3 million consoles at around the 90 day mark.

That's point 1. Point 2: preorders are not selling out at all for the Xbox One, which kind of flies in the face of your logic, if what you are saying is true: That the demand for the Xbox One cannot be seen in preorder numbers..
---
Shwing
#4Kosmo240985(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 6:57:50 AM
kingofjamaica posted...

What makes you think that will happen when all evidence so far puts multiplatforms as better on PS4, and Sony having a much better lineup of first-party studios?

How did you come to that conclusion. I never said anything about Games.
---
#5Big_IsaacPosted 9/19/2013 7:01:12 AM
Kosmo240985 posted...
kingofjamaica posted...

How did you come to that conclusion. I never said anything about Games.

you posted...
this is also why i believe the xbone and ps4 will even out for the most part. ps4 better hardware, xbox one (although more difficult to develop for) better software.

---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#6Kosmo240985(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 7:01:39 AM
82xeno posted...
Ummm....both the 360 and the PS3 shipped around 3 million consoles at around the 90 day mark.

That's point 1. Point 2: preorders are not selling out at all for the Xbox One, which kind of flies in the face of your logic, if what you are saying is true: That the demand for the Xbox One cannot be seen in preorder numbers..

List any store that has open preorders.

And it took like 5 to 6v years for ps3 to surpass the xbox in sales and its still close. But that wasn't the point. The point was xbox was harder to get at release because console manufacturing was limited while ps3 want
---
#7Big_IsaacPosted 9/19/2013 7:02:56 AM
Kosmo240985 posted...
82xeno posted...

List any store that has open preorders.

And it took like 5 to 6v years for ps3 to surpass the xbox in sales and its still close. But that wasn't the point. The point was xbox was harder to get at release because console manufacturing was limited while ps3 want

the WiiU had a crapton of preorders, too.
preorders mean jack
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#8COBRAxDFWxPJPosted 9/19/2013 7:03:25 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9COBRAxDFWxPJPosted 9/19/2013 7:03:45 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10COBRAxDFWxPJPosted 9/19/2013 7:04:45 AM
you just said xbox has the better software