Lets talk about F2P

#1MrImpatient35Posted 9/19/2013 7:56:47 AM
Being a console gamer, the F2P model is completely new to me. My first experience with it is Candy Crush Saga on Facebook. That was a bad first experience lol. Then there's Plants vs. Zombies 2. I THINK it's only for iPhones or something, so I haven't played it, but I saw the review, and it seems like it's totally playable, and isn't pay-to-win, like Candy Crush is. Then there's the timed PS4 exclusive Warframe. From the IGN demo, it seems like that also wont be pay-to-win.

Then, what I PERSONALLY think would be a great fit for the F2P model, Killer Instinct 3. I can imagine the model being very successful for fighting games. I normally don't use more than 3 fighters anyway, so it would be nice to only pay $15 (each fighter is $5) instead of $60. What do you think?
---
Dost thou even hoist?
Dead Rising 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 are already a done deal!
#282xenoPosted 9/19/2013 8:00:45 AM
MrImpatient35 posted...
Being a console gamer, the F2P model is completely new to me. My first experience with it is Candy Crush Saga on Facebook. That was a bad first experience lol. Then there's Plants vs. Zombies 2. I THINK it's only for iPhones or something, so I haven't played it, but I saw the review, and it seems like it's totally playable, and isn't pay-to-win, like Candy Crush is. Then there's the timed PS4 exclusive Warframe. From the IGN demo, it seems like that also wont be pay-to-win.

Then, what I PERSONALLY think would be a great fit for the F2P model, Killer Instinct 3. I can imagine the model being very successful for fighting games. I normally don't use more than 3 fighters anyway, so it would be nice to only pay $15 (each fighter is $5) instead of $60. What do you think?

This pay model will be unsuccessful for an online fighting game, and here is why: If you only offer a single fighter for free, 95% of the competition you will face online will be that free fighter. It's a balancing and longevity issue. More and more people will get sick of the game to the point where it just gets pointless to play.
---
Shwing
#3Exodus_PrimePosted 9/19/2013 8:00:56 AM
I dislike F2P still don't agree with it. But what can you do when a game like Killer Instinct is built around it. The only reason I would but it is because it's not a PayToWin type, they give you options. Try demo for free,pay per character or buy it all at one price.

I disliked what they did with Tekken Revolution on the PS3, I love me some Tekken but I can't use all the characters, the idea of earning them is cool and all but I just pop in Tekken Tag 2 and I'm good lol. But sadly I think that's the way fighters are going now.
---
Xbox One and PlayStation 4
Because I can buy both.
#4darkphiresagePosted 9/19/2013 8:02:52 AM
MrImpatient35 posted...

question for you and everyone else who says this: how do you know which 3 fighters you're best with without trying them all? watching someone play a fighter is completely different than actually trying him yourself. no one has been able to answer this yet, so they usually just ignore it...cookie if you don't.
---
"Dat b**** crazy."
"Ya, b****** be trippin." - every guy ever and his best friend at some point in life.
#5MrImpatient35(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 8:03:56 AM
82xeno posted...
MrImpatient35 posted...

This pay model will be unsuccessful for an online fighting game, and here is why: If you only offer a single fighter for free, 95% of the competition you will face online will be that free fighter. It's a balancing and longevity issue. More and more people will get sick of the game to the point where it just gets pointless to play.

Never thought of that. That'd definitely be a bummer. To fight Jago all day. I think the most popular paid character right now is Glacius, so you'd be fighting Jago and Glacius all day. That wouldn't be good.
---
Dost thou even hoist?
#6MrImpatient35(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 8:14:26 AM(edited)
Hmm. Well this answer prolly wont be to your liking, but I'm fairly good at determining if I'd like something by just looking at it, like video reviews for games or watching someone fight in KI3. Based on the gameplay videos I've seen so far, Jago and Sabrewulf look my what I'd buy. Glacius looks amazing, but I'm not ready for him. I'm not that good at fighters just yet. I haven't played the genre since the first Tekken Tag. The Mohawk dude (forgot his name) looks decent, but I don't like him that much. The new chick looks like she could be great. I'll wait until they show her.
---
Dost thou even hoist?
#7DesperateMonkeyPosted 9/19/2013 8:17:35 AM
darkphiresage posted...
MrImpatient35 posted...

question for you and everyone else who says this: how do you know which 3 fighters you're best with without trying them all? watching someone play a fighter is completely different than actually trying him yourself. no one has been able to answer this yet, so they usually just ignore it...cookie if you don't.

How do all those SF guys know they only like Ryu and Ken? They've clearly never tried anything else.

I personally mained Chun Li because she was so hot in SFIV. Before that, I only played KoF seriously.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#8catzrul2002Posted 9/19/2013 8:18:27 AM
F2P means a game where you can unlock a vast majority or even 100% of the game without paying a penny, Killer Instinct is not that kind of game.

It's a glorified demo.

darkphiresage posted...

I'm also waiting for this answer, as this has been asked many times. At least the free Dead Or Alive lets you try certain characters on certain days to see if they are worth buying.
---
Fingers crossed for Sony to enable PSN name change!!
#9sworderPosted 9/19/2013 8:29:00 AM
how exactly is it successful? how does giving people the choice of paying a fourth of what the game costs going to provide them more profit?

the F2P model is successful because it encourages people to spend money on microtransactions while bringing in more people that normally wouldn't give the game a chance if they had to pay straight up

only way KI would make MORE money being F2P is if it was a mediocre game in the first place that people wouldn't buy
#10darkphiresagePosted 9/19/2013 8:33:25 AM
MrImpatient35 posted...
Hmm. Well this answer prolly wont be to your liking, but I'm fairly good at determining if I'd like something by just looking at it, like video reviews for games or watching someone fight in KI3. Based on the gameplay videos I've seen so far, Jago and Sabrewulf look my what I'd buy. Glacius looks amazing, but I'm not ready for him. I'm not that good at fighters just yet. I haven't played the genre since the first Tekken Tag. The Mohawk dude (forgot his name) looks decent, but I don't like him that much. The new chick looks like she could be great. I'll wait until they show her.

no, it doesn't matter if I like it or not, you answered and believe that will work for you. (::) <----- choco chip

I don't necessarily agree with your answer, but in your specific case, i could be wrong. but generally, watching a character fights means nothing. even if he looks great in play, you may never have the timing, reflexes, or ability to pull off every move correctly and at the correct time when you play that character. sentinel is a beast in the hands of some, and just a big ass target in the hands of most, regardless of how much ass you see him kicking in that tournament. looks good, but you may or may not ever be able to play on that level with him.

I was never a big fg fan, but I played the hell outta melee. watching tournaments, shiek, fox, marth and falcon should have all been incrdible. they looked fun, and i loved their fighting styles. shiek was the only one I could play. I was lousy at controlling cap's speed constantly running right past opponents and knee'ing the air, could never get the spacing right to hit with the sweet spot of marth's blade and just flat out sucked with fox. zelda and link would have been my only useful purchases following KI's model. I would have blown through a hell of a lot of money before I ever found out I was incredible with doctor mario, pichu samus or ganon.
---
"Dat b**** crazy."
"Ya, b****** be trippin." - every guy ever and his best friend at some point in life.