ESPN Programming Content - Need cable?

#1shanafanPosted 9/19/2013 8:00:49 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/19/microsoft-expanding-sports-broadcasts-on-xbox-one/

Would I still need a cable subscription to watch ESPN on the XBox One?

With the 360, most of the events require a cable subscription to watch (which I don't have), so I am left out in the cold.
---
XBL / PSN / Wii U : shanafan
Wii Friend Code: 8542 2842 2512 6271
#2bessy67Posted 9/19/2013 8:05:19 AM
Of course you need a cable subscription to use the watch ESPN app. That's how it works now, and it won't change. ESPN is one of the biggest reasons that cable companies can continue to do business, they won't let ESPN go without a huge fight.
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#3dj___rollPosted 9/19/2013 2:18:40 PM
Quote:Of course you need a cable subscription to use the watch ESPN app. That's how it works now, and it won't change. ESPN is one of the biggest reasons that cable companies can continue to do business, they won't let ESPN go without a huge fight.
@bessy67
It used to be free.
---
Sent from my iPad via PowerFAQs 1.12
#4iamdanthamanPosted 9/19/2013 2:55:40 PM
dj___roll posted...
Quote:Of course you need a cable subscription to use the watch ESPN app. That's how it works now, and it won't change. ESPN is one of the biggest reasons that cable companies can continue to do business, they won't let ESPN go without a huge fight.
@bessy67
It used to be free.

ESPN3 content was and is free as long as you have a participating ISP and the content is not blacked out in your area. There is a lot of other content available now though, stuff from ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNnews and ESPNU on demand, that you can't watch unless you have both a participating ISP and a cable subscription that includes those channels.
---
All your base are belong to us
#5dj___rollPosted 9/19/2013 3:44:59 PM
Quote:dj___roll posted...
@bessy67
It used to be free.

ESPN3 content was and is free as long as you have a participating ISP and the content is not blacked out in your area. There is a lot of other content available now though, stuff from ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNnews and ESPNU on demand, that you can't watch unless you have both a participating ISP and a cable subscription that includes those channels.

@iamdanthaman

Ah, cool. I couldn't seem to get any of it working and I have Comcast Internet. Whatever.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#6DeimirPosted 9/20/2013 1:36:59 AM
Still waiting for HBO to offer a standalone digital service. Really not interested in paying for a whole cable TV service to get one channel when I ought to be able to just subscribe to HBO GO and get my Game Of Thrones on that way.
---
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f2b_1371011276