Microsoft Isn't Giving Up On An All-Digital Future With Xbox One

#41CaIiber345Posted 9/22/2013 11:27:18 PM
sexbone posted...
http://www.purexbox.com/news/2013/09/microsoft_isnt_giving_up_on_an_all_digital_future_with_xbox_one

no disc no gamestop, and cheaper games please

Why don't people understand that an all-digital marketplace doesn't mean cheaper games? There is no competition so MS can charge whatever it wants to.
---
http://minus.com/ll6Wx5NemvtlV
GTA V: Jet Fighter Deer Hunting
#42SilentS89Posted 9/23/2013 3:39:22 AM
CaIiber345 posted...
Why don't people understand that an all-digital marketplace doesn't mean cheaper games? There is no competition so MS can charge whatever it wants to.

Because they are drinking Microsoft's "we want to be Steam" kool-aid.

Microsoft wants to be a "Steam without the benefits for consumers".

People act as if "All-Digital" is necessary for digital sales.

If Microsoft wanted digital sales there is nothing stopping them from having digital sales today. They don't have them because Microsoft has no interest in providing digital sales.
#43Evel138Posted 9/23/2013 3:49:07 AM
Anyone that hasn't seen the "all digital future" writing on the wall since iTunes is seriously fooling themselves.

Whether its iTunes or Steam or Netflix, we've been on a the march to this end for some time now. You, your device, the internet and digital delivery is the inevitable.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Lucky Number
http://fav.me/d6gbf9y
#44gobuffalo30Posted 9/23/2013 3:52:16 AM
_Sovereign_ posted...
vashtricham posted...
sexbone posted...
digital games are supposed to be cheaper
what's the point then if the price is still $60 when the physical all gone
so i believe ms has some plans to make digital games cheaper, except if ms wants to monopolize games sale

Entitled much, digital games do not HAVE to be cheaper. Games cost 2x as much to make as they did when the $60 price was made the standard.

Digital games HAVE to be cheaper. From that $60, the publisher only sees $27-35, everything else is costs for retail. Shipping, packaging, inventory fees, etc. If you actually pay $60 for a retail copy DIGITALLY, you're a moron, and further perpetuate the cycle that Steam users laugh at you for.

This.
#45ShadonicPosted 9/23/2013 5:39:06 AM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
sexbone posted...
so i believe ms has some plans to make digital games cheaper, except if ms wants to monopolize games sale

The point that everyone was missing in the first place. Digital library's that can be accessed at any, internet connected, XBO. Family game sharing amongst multiple accounts. Voice commands to change the game you're playing instantly. And others I'm sure I'm forgetting but these were the features I was most looking forward too.

Also, there is still a similar cost to digital games, when compared to physical, as they have to digitally store that you bought it and keep it available for redownloading purposes. This stuff costs money.

EDIT*

60 for physical and 50 for digital? Do you have any clue how cheap it is to actually make the physical media? The difference is much smaller than that.

Physically printing a disc, printing instruction manual, making up the packaging, shipping the game to a shop, then having that shop sell it, including maintaining all their own systems, a second layer of tax, paying employees etc, and having to redo this all over again in the case of warranties and replacements, everything is isnured, from warehouses to truck drivers versus connecting a server up to host all that over the internet?

Bandwidth isn't free, but anyone who knows anything about the shipping chain will tell you that there is no comparison between the two, that's part of the entire appeal to Digital.
---
Gah! My 0's fallen off! has anyone seen it?
#46stalker_sanPosted 9/23/2013 6:13:52 AM
That means you cannot really trust MS with their DRM-reversal. Good thing to know I have to stay away as far as possible from this thing.
---
Games in gamer's hands, to ensure our freedom! Against DRM, Digital Distribution and Steam!!!
Just pretend Bravely Default is the real Final Fantasy XV
#47saleamaPosted 9/24/2013 1:37:06 PM
I think one thing people tend to overlook is that once a copy of the game goes to, say, Wal-Mart, that is counted as a sale because Wal-Mart bought the game. Digital sales are not and can not be counted in this manner. They are counted at the time the consumer makes the purchase. The amount of time the producer has to wait for their money actually costs them money. There is not and should not be a difference in price based on digital or physical. There are costs associated to both that make them equal in terms of cost of production and sales.
#48saleamaPosted 9/24/2013 1:45:59 PM
Shadonic posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
sexbone posted...

The point that everyone was missing in the first place. Digital library's that can be accessed at any, internet connected, XBO. Family game sharing amongst multiple accounts. Voice commands to change the game you're playing instantly. And others I'm sure I'm forgetting but these were the features I was most looking forward too.

Also, there is still a similar cost to digital games, when compared to physical, as they have to digitally store that you bought it and keep it available for redownloading purposes. This stuff costs money.

EDIT*

60 for physical and 50 for digital? Do you have any clue how cheap it is to actually make the physical media? The difference is much smaller than that.

Physically printing a disc, printing instruction manual, making up the packaging, shipping the game to a shop, then having that shop sell it, including maintaining all their own systems, a second layer of tax, paying employees etc, and having to redo this all over again in the case of warranties and replacements, everything is isnured, from warehouses to truck drivers versus connecting a server up to host all that over the internet?

Bandwidth isn't free, but anyone who knows anything about the shipping chain will tell you that there is no comparison between the two, that's part of the entire appeal to Digital.

Except NONE of those cost associated with the shops and shipping and taxes etc.., are paid by the producers of the game. And actually the cost of the case, cover etc.., is relatively small now. It was a good portion back in the Nintendo 64 days with a cartridge and cardboard box but it is pennies now. Basically, everything you mentioned is paid by someone else while the expense of maintaining a server would be as well, the producer and/or developer would still have to maintain those servers, which makes, drum roll please, the cost of digital the same or more!!!!
#49Lord_Ka1nPosted 9/24/2013 1:46:16 PM
whether or not it costs less to make digital games doesnt matter.

if they want people to buy digital over physical; to buy a license over a copy, the digital version damn well better be cheaper.