Is the industry ready for FOUR CONSOLES? Valve to officially announce it!

#71darkphiresagePosted 9/21/2013 10:13:25 AM
good luck to them, but I don't see the audience. pc gamers are pc gamers because they love graphics, performance and customization. they won't downgrade to a pc box that runs linux just for s**** and giggles, they'll continue to game on their rigs.

console gamers are console gamers because they like the exclusives, price point, and convenience. they won't switch to a box with multiple different versions that require hardware upgrades just like a pc, and uses "the other" os while losing the guaranteed optimization of consoles and missing the exlusives they like. if they were gonna bother with all of that, they'd just buy an actual pc.

the thing is too gimped for pc gamers to care, and too much like a pc for console gamers to care. who is this box for?
---
"Dat b**** crazy."
"Ya, b****** be trippin." - every guy ever and his best friend at some point in life.
#72CrimsonCorpPosted 9/21/2013 11:06:43 AM
X1 and PS4 are all I need. Last thing I need is to buy a game and wonder if it will even run on a steambox.

I bought so many games in the late 90's and early 00's that did not work. fast forward to last year, I wasn't able to play KOTOR and KOTOR 2 on my PC. What's the fix? open up directories and try a whole bunch of mods. gtfo here....
---
"In the grim darkness of the far future... there is only awesome"
#73NewMoonShadowPosted 9/21/2013 11:28:36 AM
darkphiresage posted...
good luck to them, but I don't see the audience. pc gamers are pc gamers because they love graphics, performance and customization. they won't downgrade to a pc box that runs linux just for s**** and giggles, they'll continue to game on their rigs.

console gamers are console gamers because they like the exclusives, price point, and convenience. they won't switch to a box with multiple different versions that require hardware upgrades just like a pc, and uses "the other" os while losing the guaranteed optimization of consoles and missing the exlusives they like. if they were gonna bother with all of that, they'd just buy an actual pc.

the thing is too gimped for pc gamers to care, and too much like a pc for console gamers to care. who is this box for?

There was a time when console versions had this. That time is long past.
#74Thewinner14Posted 9/21/2013 12:34:29 PM
The point is to bring steam away from the computer desk and to the couch. It's targeted at both current console gamers, and PC gamers who may want to move from the desk and monitor to their couch and big screen TV. For $500 they could easily build a machine that will be current for at least the next 5 years (hint hint devs haven't been taking advantage of modern hardware for awhile because of console specs). Which was the standard for console lifespans until this present generation.

Depending on its design, I could see them selling upgrade kits for a $100-$200 every 5 years, which would be cheaper or equal to buying a new console in 5/10 years.
---
3DS FC: 3496-9988-4201
AC:NL dream code: 4000-2184-5956
#75SilentS89Posted 9/21/2013 12:39:21 PM
Back in the day, Steam sounded like it would never work either.

Valve has a precedent of making the impossible happen.
#76EroyumePosted 9/21/2013 1:56:26 PM
It's a tough sell for the enthusiast. I've already built a Steambox of sorts (it's an HTPC that looks like a receiver). I guess maybe if it has the form factor of the Xi3 Piston, the portability would be enticing, but then they are sacrificing specs. So what other incentives are there? Some revolutionary input device? Meh...

There's also a lot of hurdles inherent to PC gaming that Valve would need to overcome if they want to sell this to the console crowd. I just don't see it happening, but I also didn't expect Steam to become a thing in 2003, either. They are smart and forward-thinking, so I'd trust their judgement over my own. XD
---
http://eroyume.com
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eroyume
#77leatheljPosted 9/21/2013 2:03:02 PM
I hope it does well but i am just not sure the DRM when people hear that word ist going to cause chaos and many will not buy it i am just worried is all.
#78Thewinner14Posted 9/21/2013 2:38:18 PM
Eroyume posted...
It's a tough sell for the enthusiast. I've already built a Steambox of sorts (it's an HTPC that looks like a receiver). I guess maybe if it has the form factor of the Xi3 Piston, the portability would be enticing, but then they are sacrificing specs. So what other incentives are there? Some revolutionary input device? Meh...

There's also a lot of hurdles inherent to PC gaming that Valve would need to overcome if they want to sell this to the console crowd. I just don't see it happening, but I also didn't expect Steam to become a thing in 2003, either. They are smart and forward-thinking, so I'd trust their judgement over my own. XD

I remember when Xfire was the program to have, even when steam started. It was a library, friends list, chat client, and server searcher all in one. Now, I don't think I've heard anyone talk about it in....well a damn long time, because steam has become the be all.
---
3DS FC: 3496-9988-4201
AC:NL dream code: 4000-2184-5956
#79bloodlover4ever(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 2:39:38 PM
hotgamer posted...
This steambox will fail. People who are interested in PC gaming already have a gaming PC. Why the hell would someone with a gaming PC buy a steambox, which is likely gonna be inferior to any gaming pc in the last 3 years.

Release something at 500$, it's gonna be outdated and release something at 1000$, it's worthless to buy because it's too expensive and with that price, for 1000-1200$, you could buy a top quality gaming pc which you could upgrade in the future (which isn't gonna be possible with steambox)

Gamers said the same thing when Xbox was released in 2001!
#80bloodlover4ever(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 3:18:18 PM(edited)
assassin10133 posted...
http://www.sticktwiddlers.com/2013/01/09/valves-steam-box-just-the-facts-xi3-piston-specs/

Some interesting points on the steambox from back in January. Of interesting note is the "best" model which is stated as having whatever parts manufacturers want to put in, and with 15-20 companies looking into building "steamboxes", pretty much takes optimization out of the picture. Sounds more like small form factor dedicated gaming PC running Linux based on this. Out of curiosity how many people would be interested in something like that here?

Interesting link, I liked this part

"Valve aren’t interested in including motion control support as Valve “can’t see how it makes games fundamentally better.”

To answer your question I am one of those who will buy it if it can give me the best graphic in the market and can, this is the challenge, get the best version of multiplatform games. I bought Xbox in 2001 because I hated the direction Nintendo was going to with its consoles at that time, didnt like PS2 graphics and performance so Xbox came as the powerful solution with some cool games as well.

I am an Xbox gamer but I am not with MS direction toward the industry! It is completely the opposite of MS in 2001.

Now I never liked Sony and Nintendo has nothing really that new to offer! So if Valve is planning to treat us as gamers and dedicate their console for pure gaming experience with their innovative titles: Half life, Porta and the rest then I would not mind buying their console.

But back to my original question and the question of this topic, is the industry ready for that?
They have an advantage of the stream so any game on PC will be their eventually and my guess with the best graphics in the market.

Ouya was different as it was developed by indie developers and it was simply mobile gaming experience on your TV!
Here we are talking about Valve and a well established digital platform.