Investors calling for Microsoft to sell off its gaming division!

#21Orange_ApplesPosted 9/21/2013 1:42:04 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#2282xenoPosted 9/21/2013 1:50:42 PM
MS profits due to Live Gold. Since $$ is require for online now for Sony, expect them both to profit fairly equally....well, advantage MS because they shove advertisements everywhere and designed this console with advertising in mind.

But you'd have to be ignorant if you don't think Sony will profit this gen, they have far more revenue opportunities than they've had last gen.
---
Shwing
#23Orange_ApplesPosted 9/21/2013 1:56:29 PM(edited)
bessy67 posted...
Revenue is not profit. Sony had an operating loss on the games division, meaning they lost $149 million. Revenue - expenses = profit, and apparently their expenses were greater than their revenue. MS had an operating income of $848 million over the same period.

Wait, you're comparing Sony's 3 months to MS's year.
April 2013 - June 2013
Sony's game division lost $149 million.
MS's entertainment division lost $110 million.

Both divisions lost money, however MS lost less.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#24Laylow12Posted 9/21/2013 1:56:25 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#25bloodlover4everPosted 9/21/2013 2:26:37 PM
82xeno posted...
MS profits due to Live Gold. Since $$ is require for online now for Sony, expect them both to profit fairly equally....well, advantage MS because they shove advertisements everywhere and designed this console with advertising in mind.

But you'd have to be ignorant if you don't think Sony will profit this gen, they have far more revenue opportunities than they've had last gen.

This and the digital downloads from games and the avatar store.
My guess it is in billions and far more better than all their hardware sales so I cannot understand investors' points unless the article is fake!
#26tobydammit(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 2:44:55 PM
bloodlover4ever posted...
82xeno posted...

My guess it is in billions and far more better than all their hardware sales so I cannot understand investors' points unless the article is fake!

Unfortunately, the article is all too real. Apparently, an "activist investor"group called ValueAct just spent $2 billion dollars to gain a stake in Microsoft and make huge changes to the way the company is run - including killing off its gaming division.

Here are another couple of articles from earlier this month detailing this major change to the gaming marketplace:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/report-activist-microsoft-investor-push-sale-xbox-division/
http://www.gengame.net/2013/09/analyst-believes-microsofts-newest-board-member-could-push-to-sell-off-xbox-division/
#27Golden_GonadsPosted 9/21/2013 2:56:40 PM
Oooh! Sell it off, and let someone release new MechCommander/Starlancer/Freelancer games....
#28SoulTrapperPosted 9/21/2013 2:58:30 PM
bloodlover4ever posted...

Article isn't fake, this has been reported upon multiple times already and by reputable sources.

The xbox division is currently making a profit, but if you look at it throughout the years since the first xbox launch, they're still in the red and haven't made a single cent out of it.

The investment group behind this (ActiValue) is known for pushing for major changes in the companies they buy stocks in (they got photoshop to become subscription based for example) and investors have said they wanted MS to focus on just Windows, so it's not out of the question that they would push for something like selling off the xbox division.

Though it's much more likely that they'll sell off division that has Bing and other crap like that that makes even less money.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#29micheal82Posted 9/21/2013 3:34:33 PM
As long as Bill Gates likes the Xbox MS will not sell of the Xbox brand no matter how much that one investor kicks and screams.
---
I can shoot a whole load into a guys face and they just brush it off. - Psquared34
#30Xeeh_BitzPosted 9/21/2013 6:05:47 PM
Who cares if MS gets out of the gaming market, their exclusives suck. I mean Halo for god's sake, what are we? 12?
---
Best Windows ever, Windows 8!