Is the steam box in trouble because of Xbox one?

#11Cowboy082288Posted 9/21/2013 4:05:09 PM
bruno1983br posted...
I think any Steam user knows there is a huge difference between what the Steambox offers and what Microsoft was originally planning for the Xbone. They are two worlds apart.

hmm idk, I have been a steam user for awhile, and played PC games for a loooong time. None of the MS policies were really all that new to me and sounded like a lot of the stuff thats been going on in the PC world for some time now. I hope this doesn't hurt the steam box and valve is certainly a savy company. But I was pretty amazed at how bad the backlash at MS was, console players clearly have different expectations from PC players. Well mabye MS tested the waters for them and now valve has a heads up on what to do and not do :)
---
PSN/XBL - cowboyoni
#12Orange_ApplesPosted 9/21/2013 4:09:36 PM
Cowboy082288 posted...
Well mabye MS tested the waters for them and now valve has a heads up on what to do and not do :)

Not include a disk drive and half-ass the whole online ecosystem thing with a 24 hour check-in?
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#13lilj812Posted 9/21/2013 4:28:30 PM
The steambox is fine because gamers trust them and they have great prices on their games.

The difference in the pricing of software alone makes the xbox one and the steambox completely different.
---
"World's best heel and you don't even know it"
#14IemanderPosted 9/21/2013 4:35:23 PM(edited)
lilj812 posted...
The steambox is fine because gamers trust them and they have great prices on their games.

The difference in the pricing of software alone makes the xbox one and the steambox completely different.

The biggest problem with the X1 was a lack of an offline mode and seriously competitive pricing. I don't mind digital, but it needs to have it's (financial) advantages. I look at Games on demand and have to laugh at the horrid and immature take Microsoft has on the digital gaming market, they're even more expensive than what I can buy in a store here. What Microsoft gets in it's pocket for a digital game needs to be cut to about Steam's level. If Microsoft doesn't want to do that, no market leader for you!

There's a reason why Steam is such a success while the other stores fail.
---
PC: i7-3820 | GTX 680 | 16GB DDR3 ---- Laptop: Dell Precision M6700 | i7-3740QM | Quadro K3000M | 16GB DDR3
360 | PS3 | WII | DS | 3DS | Vita
#15Foxx3kPosted 9/21/2013 4:43:37 PM
Iemander posted...
lilj812 posted...

The biggest problem with the X1 was a lack of an offline mode and seriously competitive pricing. I don't mind digital, but it needs to have it's (financial) advantages. I look at Games on demand and have to laugh at the horrid and immature take Microsoft has on the digital gaming market, they're even more expensive than what I can buy in a store here. What Microsoft gets in it's pocket for a digital game needs to be cut to about Steam's level. If Microsoft doesn't want to do that, no market leader for you!

What's Microsoft's cut? Steam takes at least 30%.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#16IemanderPosted 9/21/2013 4:47:59 PM
Foxx3k posted...
Iemander posted...
lilj812 posted...

What's Microsoft's cut? Steam takes at least 30%.

Steam is by far considered the cheapest, even next to other digital download platforms like GoG, Steam is still cheaper.
---
PC: i7-3820 | GTX 680 | 16GB DDR3 ---- Laptop: Dell Precision M6700 | i7-3740QM | Quadro K3000M | 16GB DDR3
360 | PS3 | WII | DS | 3DS | Vita
#17NewMoonShadowPosted 9/21/2013 5:01:37 PM
The difference between Steam and XBone DRM is that Steam has-

1: Fewer restrictions.

2: More benefits

I mean, if Microsoft had come out and announced that digital only games would be cheaper, or that they would have steep seasonal sales, or really anything comparable to the benefits Steam provides, people probably would have been okay with it. Hell at the time their policies were violently anti-indie, which means the only games you were gonna be able to play on it were the 60 dollar "AAA" titles from major publishers.

What they announced was, as Jim Sterling put it, "the limitations of a console with the bulls*** of a PC." It brought together the WORST parts of both platforms, and tried to sell it as if it was the next evolution of gaming. It's as if they saw how successful Steam was and tried to emulate it, but had no clue exactly what it was that made Steam successful in the first place.

TLDR; Steam as a service has more benefits and fewer restrictions than the original XBone DRM did, so people will be more receptive to it.
#18Crazy_tank51Posted 9/21/2013 8:10:41 PM
Foxx3k posted...
Gamers don't understand that Steam is a form of DRM.

It is DRM...that is no more intrusive or harsh than other download service like iTunes. And for putting up with it you earn access to Steam sales and ability to download games forever.

What's the benefit for the DRMBox 1's assumption you are a thief and treating you as such?
---
Sega is what EAin't.
3DS: 3909-7785-1874 (Crazytank*) Steam ID: CrazytankXD
#19leathelj(Topic Creator)Posted 9/22/2013 11:09:51 AM
Thanks for all the feed back guys but its like i expected to be some people will buy and some will not but how is valve going to get new customers i am talking about console gamers when most of them absolutely hate DRM and love owning a copy of there games in there hand i guess this could be for people who want to get started in PC gaming maybe i am just not sure maybe there not trying to get some of the console gamers maybe that's not there target audience then if not what is?
#20656stoogePosted 9/22/2013 12:01:14 PM
Foxx3k posted...
Gamers don't understand that Steam is a form of DRM.

Sure they do. What MS didn't realise is that Steam lets you play games offline and that Valve have already proven themselves with their fantastic sales.

Remember all those people defending the insane prices of Games on Demand games, and those piss poor XBL sale that are mostly for gold members only? Well the reason people like me were criticising the lack of effort in that area on MS's part, was because they needed to prove that if they were to push digital games as hard as they clearly wanted to, that they would need to show us from the get go that there would be benefits to such a system.

Don't think I'm ragging just on MS, either. Sony has GTAV for $40AUS more than retail on PSN at the moment.

So yeah, I might support a Steambox, because they've already shown that they'll pass some of he savings that would come from an all digital service onto the customers, but I would never have bought an X1 with the initial DRM that they had in place.
---
For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died.