Why the Xbox One is failing

#1Shik_stickPosted 9/21/2013 7:50:43 PM
The short version is simply this: Kinect.

The Kinect is a cool device with a lot of potential, but Microsoft has yet to show us how it can be used as a big advantage to gaming. It's a device built for convienece, nothing more. However, if you take the Kinect away what does the Xbox One have to offer? Nothing...nothing but a cable box and a few good games. Ninety five percent of the features that make the Xbone what it is are offered through the Kinect yet the vast majority of gamers don't want it. This is why the pre-orders went up after it was announced that the Kinect was no longer needed for the system to function.

Not to mention the way they are marketing it towards casual consumers, the very same people who aren't going to spend $500 for a device that can do everything they can already do in a number of different ways. You want to say its not failing? Look at the numbers and polls. Look at the comments made by developers...everything points to the PS4 being the better of the two.
---
E3 2012 Best Games- Assassin's Creed 3, Watch Dogs, The Last of us, SplinterCell:BlackList, Tomb Raider-nObama2012
#2BruceLee1974Posted 9/21/2013 8:03:37 PM
I would put my life savings on it, if MS took away Kinect, A LOT MORE PEOPLE would be interested in it. Just make ait an accessory like they did with the 360, if they give people a CHOICE, they can make their own mind up on what to buy or not.

I think most people don't like being forced to buy something they won't use or want. If MS did one more 180, I reckon preorders would skyrocket, by also dropping the price to match the PS4.
#3adonfrazPosted 9/21/2013 8:07:54 PM
It's because Microsoft has lost the trust of a chunk of their fanbase. A company can't try to implement restrictive online policies, while not explicitly showing consumers how it benefits them at all.

Coupled with Sony executing nearly everything right with the PS4.
---
XBL GT: Loyal Catalyst
PSN ID: Loyal_Catalyst 3DS FC: (Loyal) 0533-4535-6191
#4Foxx3kPosted 9/21/2013 8:08:18 PM
Short version: Internet holds grudges, likes hating things.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#5SunDevil77Posted 9/21/2013 8:13:42 PM
Failing? It is going to make tons of money.
---
The average lifespan of a raccoon is ~5 years.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#6jairusmonillasPosted 9/21/2013 8:20:12 PM
It's easier to press buttons than to SHOUT ON YOUR KINECT.
---
All of you, want to be loved... needed by someone, so we look to others... By ourselves, we are lonely, so we try to draw together to live
- Elly [ Xenogears ]
#7ImThe8thWonderPosted 9/21/2013 8:20:26 PM
TC is right. Some people might hold a grudge, but I'm sure the majority are simply opposed to an unwanted peripheral and a higher cost for less power. No kinect could have at least brought the price down to an acceptable level for the provided hardware.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J7CULOL8hXo
#8straymatterPosted 9/21/2013 8:28:22 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9Cowboy082288Posted 9/21/2013 8:27:53 PM
To the TC

I have lived threw every consle since the atari. These console wars are not sprints, they are marathons. Declaring the X! to be failing before it hits the market is silly. I remember people saying how the Wii was a joke, then it sold like hot cakes. Many people said the PS1 could not compete with sega and nintendo, we all know how that turned out. Neo Geo was the by far best tech of it's Gen, but that system ultimatley failed. Dreamcast was ahead of it's time (we wouldn't see a built in browser again until the PS3), but again it failed.

MS had a early setback with their DRM policies. They were considered unacceptable by many early console buyers. Those policies have been reversed or (180 ed) :). As for MS long term vision of a multi media console that uses the kenict funtionality..... that success or failure remains to be seen. What I do know is that the people at sony, MS, nintendo, and valve are not idiots.

Before assuming you know sooo much more than any them could possibly know about the game industry, relize that it is their job to be successfull at this. Not a random forum post that will be forgotten in a day. A lot of money and the personal reptutations of the leaders in their organizations are on the line.

Personally I hope all 4 of them turn out to be successfull. o and the PC market too :)
---
PSN/XBL/Steam - cowboyoni
#10regsantotomasPosted 9/21/2013 8:35:13 PM
Cowboy082288 posted...
To the TC

I have lived threw every consle since the atari. These console wars are not sprints, they are marathons. Declaring the X! to be failing before it hits the market is silly. I remember people saying how the Wii was a joke, then it sold like hot cakes. Many people said the PS1 could not compete with sega and nintendo, we all know how that turned out. Neo Geo was the by far best tech of it's Gen, but that system ultimatley failed. Dreamcast was ahead of it's time (we wouldn't see a built in browser again until the PS3), but again it failed.

MS had a early setback with their DRM policies. They were considered unacceptable by many early console buyers. Those policies have been reversed or (180 ed) :). As for MS long term vision of a multi media console that uses the kenict funtionality..... that success or failure remains to be seen. What I do know is that the people at sony, MS, nintendo, and valve are not idiots.

Before assuming you know sooo much more than any them could possibly know about the game industry, relize that it is their job to be successfull at this. Not a random forum post that will be forgotten in a day. A lot of money and the personal reptutations of the leaders in their organizations are on the line.

Personally I hope all 4 of them turn out to be successfull. o and the PC market too :)

+2 because +1 doesn't quite cut it.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego