Lengthy interview on Xbox One architecture

#51RayconPosted 9/22/2013 9:37:09 PM
RollnThunder213 posted...
TurtlePowah posted...
How come no one as commented on how on average around 2-3 CU's end up bad during manufacture and sometimes as many as 4?

The people who end up with 4 being dead are literally going to lag in advanced games ~_~

Why is Microsoft gambling and not caring some customers will get borked systems?

How are they gambling? There are 14 CUs in their system but only 12 will be used simultaneously. So isn't Microsoft instead protecting from occurrences such as this?

Sony's GPU has 18 and all 18 are supposed to be available to developers for their games, wouldn't it be the same sort of situation but even worse if this happened to PS4 units?

I'm just confused as to what you're trying to say specifically about Microsoft in this case...

Didn't Sony kind of do this with the Cells back when the PS3 was being manufactured? That they were originally supposed to come with 8 SPEs or something, and Sony shot for 7 to increase the amount of useable ones?
---
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718
#52ManInGorillaSutPosted 9/22/2013 9:54:09 PM
Forgive me for taking ANYTHING M$ says about their own console's specs with a grain of salt. Especially after nearly 3 months of 180s/damage control on their end. I'll want for more developers to speak up thanks.
---
Give me Banana!
PSN ID; EL_BOMBASTICO
#53Troll_DirectoryPosted 9/22/2013 10:32:42 PM
ManInGorillaSut posted...
Forgive me for taking ANYTHING M$ says about their own console's specs with a grain of salt. Especially after nearly 3 months of 180s/damage control on their end. I'll want for more developers to speak up thanks.

But, now developers have this article to refute. Isn't that good for your disposition?
#54PendragoonPosted 9/23/2013 6:53:33 AM
The PS4 has 20CUs, two are disabled just like on the Xbox One and will never be used. They are only in there to improve yields.

Cerny busted the 14/4 split a long time ago, all 18CUs can be used as devs see fit, and the console was designed to fully take advantage of those added cores. Just because the Xbox One doesn't see a large benefit from adding CUs does not mean it applies in any way to Sony.

Leadbetter's PC comparison used GPUs that are vastly overpowered for each console. (He chose them purely for the CU difference, he "forgot" about everything else the PS4 GPU has an advantage in. Read this for a closer comparison.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=74541511&postcount=621

And here is a great write up on how the esram is designed and functions based on the new info we got from this article.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=83282449

It was great that Microsoft did this press release, and it does clear up the confusion about some of their specs. Too bad it had so much PR fluff in it (I haven't read balance this many times since Nintendo's Wii Fit was announced) and they had Leadbetter write it. (He has posted so much FUD in the past year that he really should have been fired for it) A lot of people will dismiss it just because it is him, Digital Foundry should have had someone else publish this.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#55BudWisenheimerPosted 9/23/2013 9:30:20 AM
Raycon posted...
RollnThunder213 posted...
TurtlePowah posted...
How come no one as commented on how on average around 2-3 CU's end up bad during manufacture and sometimes as many as 4?

The people who end up with 4 being dead are literally going to lag in advanced games ~_~

Why is Microsoft gambling and not caring some customers will get borked systems?

How are they gambling? There are 14 CUs in their system but only 12 will be used simultaneously. So isn't Microsoft instead protecting from occurrences such as this?

Sony's GPU has 18 and all 18 are supposed to be available to developers for their games, wouldn't it be the same sort of situation but even worse if this happened to PS4 units?

I'm just confused as to what you're trying to say specifically about Microsoft in this case...

Didn't Sony kind of do this with the Cells back when the PS3 was being manufactured? That they were originally supposed to come with 8 SPEs or something, and Sony shot for 7 to increase the amount of useable ones?

^ That's right. They call it "redundancy."