MS needs to price their devices more competitively

#1ElPolloDiablo87Posted 9/23/2013 12:52:01 PM
I like MS and their products, but with they way they price their products it's becoming harder and harder to support them especially since they're all going against established brands. I have a Zune 80gig that I got when it first came out. I love that thing to this day; it is easily my favorite mp3 player. But now Zune is dead because MS didn't price it competitively enough to compete with a well-established ipod brand. They did a great job with 360, releasing it before PS3 and pricing it under PS3 but now with One they're releasing at the same time as PS4 and for $100 more. I'm intrigued by kinect and feel as if it's worth the extra $100, but a lot of people aren't and when they see two similar products on the shelves they'll pick the one that's $100 cheaper. And then today we get news of Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2. I've really been wanting a Surface Pro to replace my laptop and get tablet functionality on top of it, but when they announced the price for the Surface Pro 2 today I was shocked. $900 for an i5 processor, 4 gigs of RAM and a 64 gig HD? What? Then on top of that you want me to spend $120 on a keyboard for it? I can get a laptop with similar specs for $450. It sucks because MS makes great products and I really want them, but I can't justify the prices. I'm still getting Xbox One since to me that is worth $500, but if MS is really serious about staying competitive with other companies in the devices market they need to start pricing accordingly.

/rant
---
Madre de Dios, es El Pollo Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28WrhpTzQA
#2Troll_DirectoryPosted 9/23/2013 12:56:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU1NgGm3yr0
#3MetroidFan9999Posted 9/23/2013 12:57:58 PM
They do on some things.

See: Surface Tablet.

Unfortunately, in that case, it isn't helping one iota.
---
Xbox One = Xbone = Crossbone = Jolly Roger.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mind_blown.gif
#4Bikes-Posted 9/23/2013 12:58:46 PM
Yeah, honestly MS's current major flaw is their complete disconnect from reality and/or arrogance. They're trying to jump into well established markets with expensive products, or are just not making things people showed interest in (which isn't always bad, but there is taking risks and then there's just being stupid)
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#5MRL3G3NDPosted 9/23/2013 1:02:07 PM
it seems MS lives in it's own world

they make products for themselves it seems
they solve problems that never existed
they feel as if they say it, it's law smh
It seems as though they do not believe in market research AT ALL

it's taken a huge toll on their hardware division, and now they are considering dumping it all and just going back to strictly software.

Kinect by large was a failure, yet they press on with it as if it really was revolutionary to gaming...because they stated that it was lol smh

they will suffer very bad for their decisions this gen... I can look in the furture and see the interviewee saying "Yeah we've made some mistakes on the outset, but we're are focused now and are locked in tune with what our customers want"

but just like PS3 by the time they got their junk together the Generation was moving on lol

I've never owned a sony console in my life, and won't start now...but as of right now there is no way on Gods green one I'll be owning a xbox one in the near future...
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q
#6bessy67Posted 9/23/2013 1:19:43 PM
I'm with you on the Surface Pro 2 thing. I've been wanting a Surface Pro but was waiting for the Surface Pro 2. I was hoping that they'd have an 8 gig ram, 128 gig hard drive version for $900, but no. Definitely not getting one now. I might look at that Surface 2 for $450 though...
---
"Immigrants. That's all they do, you know. Just driving around, listening to raps, shooting all the jobs." - Malory Archer
GT: Bessy67
#7ImThe8thWonderPosted 9/23/2013 1:37:54 PM
They seem to think they can price things like Apple. Even then, some of their prices exceed even what Apple would charge for their things.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J7CULOL8hXo
#8Sniper_BrosefPosted 9/23/2013 1:44:51 PM
ElPolloDiablo87 posted...
I like MS and their products, but with they way they price their products it's becoming harder and harder to support them especially since they're all going against established brands. I have a Zune 80gig that I got when it first came out. I love that thing to this day; it is easily my favorite mp3 player. But now Zune is dead because MS didn't price it competitively enough to compete with a well-established ipod brand. They did a great job with 360, releasing it before PS3 and pricing it under PS3 but now with One they're releasing at the same time as PS4 and for $100 more. I'm intrigued by kinect and feel as if it's worth the extra $100, but a lot of people aren't and when they see two similar products on the shelves they'll pick the one that's $100 cheaper. And then today we get news of Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2. I've really been wanting a Surface Pro to replace my laptop and get tablet functionality on top of it, but when they announced the price for the Surface Pro 2 today I was shocked. $900 for an i5 processor, 4 gigs of RAM and a 64 gig HD? What? Then on top of that you want me to spend $120 on a keyboard for it? I can get a laptop with similar specs for $450. It sucks because MS makes great products and I really want them, but I can't justify the prices. I'm still getting Xbox One since to me that is worth $500, but if MS is really serious about staying competitive with other companies in the devices market they need to start pricing accordingly.

/rant

You're obviously missing the point of a tablet.
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#9Orange_ApplesPosted 9/23/2013 1:48:31 PM
MetroidFan9999 posted...
They do on some things.

See: Surface Tablet.

Unfortunately, in that case, it isn't helping one iota.

Surface tablet crap edition was $500. The SAME price as the well established iPad. If you wanted the useful one it is $800.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#10Special-EddPosted 9/23/2013 1:56:05 PM
Seems like if you are getting a tablet to replace a laptop you're going to be spending a lot more money than you would if you just bought another laptop. An i5 is actually a pretty beefy CPU for a tablet PC.

You pay for the size and convenience of a tablet PC as well. That $450 dollar laptop with similar specs would be far more clunky to carry around. If you want to buy a tablet, don't buy it to replace a PC if you don't want to spend a lot of money.
---
RebelGameMaster: You can't say poop is better than french toast because some people like the taste of poop.
Proud day one adopter of PS4 and Xbox One