Show of hands. Who thinks the XB1 is objectively better than the PS4?

#21regsantotomasPosted 9/23/2013 6:13:30 PM
ImThe8thWonder posted...

Who in the right mind would argue that things such as power, price, or online servers ever not being a universal benefit?

If you wanted to simply play Nintendo IPs, those things aren't a factor in your decision. I don't really know what you are seeking here. Everyone has their own personal reasons why they make these choices.

The idea that you can create a list that will objectively apply to everyone with regards to superfluous entertainment decisions is silly.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#22Troll_DirectoryPosted 9/23/2013 6:14:09 PM
Objectively, the new Xbox hardware has more capabilities than the PS4. Objectively, the PS4 hardware can do more teraflops than the Xbox. Objectively, we must recognize that our taste and opinions on what is better for games is multifaceted and subjective.

Subjectively, we have to decide whether gaming is the only thing that matters anymore, when both machines are being touted as computer entertainment devices, even though they are both gaming machines first (with gaming controllers, and gaming marketplaces, and gamertags, and gamerscores, and gaming development kits, with gaming adverts and game demos to sell games to gamers).
#23ImThe8thWonder(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 6:23:57 PM
Foxx3k posted...
Sorry, that's not sufficiently defined to reach what you would consider an objective conclusion.

You're killing me, here. You know what I mean, no need to make me jump through hoops. Just think of which details are most likely relevant advantages to at least the majority of the playerbase. The online servers are just one example out of the several possible features.

@ Sniper_Brosef
@ gunner967
@ everyone else...

I strongly believe you guys are missing the point to begin with. YES, I KNOW that deciding which console is best is ultimately up to subjective reasons. I did not ever say that wasn't true. Subjectivity is why people decide to buy anything.

Also, since people are starting to argue in circles here, I'll just say this: Subjectivity is why people buy consoles, but that doesn't mean that there aren't obvious, constructive, relevant, factual benefits for all. When thinking of the point of this topic, think of details or features that the majority could consider to be a useful benefit. Otherwise, your arguments would be based off of the wrong philosophy to begin with. The only reason why something is considered to be fact is because the majority of people agree that it is a fact. Well, like with that, what are details of both consoles that the majority of people would find to be a non-superfluous benefit?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J7CULOL8hXo
#24SunDevil77Posted 9/23/2013 6:24:10 PM
There is no objective view on "better" in this case. Some people will find a better time on one, and other people will find more fun on another.
---
The average lifespan of a raccoon is ~5 years.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#25TBONE_OGPosted 9/23/2013 6:55:10 PM
RollnThunder213 posted...
I feel that the XB1 is better than the PS4

---
Always O.G.
#26SilentS89Posted 9/23/2013 7:16:16 PM
*Insert uninspired "everything is subjective" and "no such thing as objective" speech.*
#27Sniper_BrosefPosted 9/23/2013 7:16:30 PM
ImThe8thWonder posted...
Foxx3k posted...
Sorry, that's not sufficiently defined to reach what you would consider an objective conclusion.

You're killing me, here. You know what I mean, no need to make me jump through hoops. Just think of which details are most likely relevant advantages to at least the majority of the playerbase. The online servers are just one example out of the several possible features.

@ Sniper_Brosef
@ gunner967
@ everyone else...

I strongly believe you guys are missing the point to begin with. YES, I KNOW that deciding which console is best is ultimately up to subjective reasons. I did not ever say that wasn't true. Subjectivity is why people decide to buy anything.

Also, since people are starting to argue in circles here, I'll just say this: Subjectivity is why people buy consoles, but that doesn't mean that there aren't obvious, constructive, relevant, factual benefits for all. When thinking of the point of this topic, think of details or features that the majority could consider to be a useful benefit. Otherwise, your arguments would be based off of the wrong philosophy to begin with. The only reason why something is considered to be fact is because the majority of people agree that it is a fact. Well, like with that, what are details of both consoles that the majority of people would find to be a non-superfluous benefit?

Also known as subjectivity. You're the only one missing the point here.
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#28ImThe8thWonder(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2013 7:50:19 PM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
Also known as subjectivity. You're the only one missing the point here.

Looks like we're going to have to talk about what a fact is. Everything that is considered a fact or undeniable benefit in life is just because the majority of the group agrees that it is. I'm sure that there are people out there who don't think the sky is blue, but that doesn't change how it is still considered a fact. If the majority of people find that a feature or detail is a relevant benefit for them, then that feature is by all means, objective. If objectivity exists in other aspects of life, then it can obviously exist for consoles as well. Just because individuals with opposing opinions exist, doesn't mean that a fact isn't any less true, since the standard for facts are just a common consensus between a majority. You guys seem to be saying that objective benefits only exist with unanimous agreement, when that is not the case for anything that is a fact.

So telling me that objectivity doesn't exists for consoles is just ridiculous. The majority of details are subjective, but there are objective benefits that most people agree are benefits. Console power, price, and something like online servers are variables that most consider to be logical benefits. It's not about how individual opinions may vary, it's about what we know most people currently agree on.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J7CULOL8hXo
#29regsantotomasPosted 9/23/2013 9:05:37 PM
Incorrect.

Facts aren't open to popular opinion as you describe it.

Example: it was popular opinion at one time that the sun revolved around the Earth.

The fact that there was once consensus on that matter never made it fact or objectively true.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#30Foxx3kPosted 9/23/2013 9:34:07 PM
regsantotomas posted...
Incorrect.

Facts aren't open to popular opinion as you describe it.

Example: it was popular opinion at one time that the sun revolved around the Earth.

The fact that there was once consensus on that matter never made it fact or objectively true.

blah blah blah what is truth blah blah blah based on observation blah blah blah inductive reasoning blah blah blah
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]