#1RybalPosted 9/24/2013 7:35:06 AM
Here's what I see the immediate benefits of Kinect are:

Menu interaction
Auto-login by using facial recognition
Auto-reorientation by using facial recognition
Simple commands
HIGHLY interactive games, such as dance games
Skype on your TV

None of these are enough to sell me on Kinect. What are some ways that the Kinect has been used to benefit the majority of games and how do you think it can be used to really make things better?

As someone who has thus far had no desire to have anything to do with Kinect, how can it be FUN? I'll be honest - part of the reason that I asked is because of the ign video where they were demonstrating some of the interactivity of Playroom with the PSEye, which actually made me start to consider it.

I understand that the Kinect is the superior camera, but I still want to know what they are going to do to make it interesting.

I also know that it's pointless to say this, but I'm looking for serious, non-trolling, answers only. There is no reason for a fan of one system or company to belittle the other; they both have their positives and negatives. I'd love to see a thread with no trolling, but that's probably about as likely as peace in the Middle East. Maybe less.
---
Brand loyalty is most evident in Apple acolytes - the Applytes - that most rabid of fan bases who will buy a brand new device with every minor upgrade
#2BadLuckIncPosted 9/24/2013 7:39:00 AM
The things you mentioned seem pretty neat to me. I'm actually pretty open minded with the new Kinect, and am happy they are putting it in every box with the Xbox One for the time being. It gives developers more incentive to use it and I will like its features for movies and turning on and off the system =P
---
Xbox One Day 1 edition Pre-Ordered via Amazon~
Xbox 360: Bad Luck Ink ~]=|~ Wii U NNID: BadLuckInk
#3Mindwipe77Posted 9/24/2013 7:41:57 AM
easy for the Gov to spy on you is another plus
---
Lightning Returns GOTY 2014
Day 1 buys- Ps4 and Xbox one, ready for next-gen!!
#4Sniper_BrosefPosted 9/24/2013 7:52:19 AM
I believe the system will not only use facial recognition to sign you in at home but also at a friend's house, given that your tag is stored on the "cloud" and I believe it is also used to sign you in to certain player spots when the controller changes hands.
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#5MetroidFan9999Posted 9/24/2013 7:52:49 AM
Targeted advertisements.
---
Xbox One = Xbone = Crossbone = Jolly Roger.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mind_blown.gif
#6DesperateMonkeyPosted 9/24/2013 7:53:17 AM
There is no reason commands have to be simple anymore. It has extremely accurate reads so there is no reason you can't use hand signals, drag items by pinching them, expand or manipulate by pulling, tugging or pushing and so on.

From what we've seen so far, Kinect has the ability to act like a touch screen in terms of accuracy.

For the motion part there could be plenty of interactions. Kinect could simply function as added keys beyond what can be mapped on the controller. Hence certain hand gestures or swipes can act as simply more hotkeys.

An example might be Fallout 3.

A lift motion could raise your pip boy in which you could just press on the objects you want just like a mouse. You could navigate the map by scrolling, tap items of interest with your hand, setup waypoints with motion and have much better inventory management options.

During gameplay, you can have tons of motions and voice controls to assist you. You could do things like instantly fast travel by saying "travel to ...", manipulate objects with your hand rather than the analogue stick (finally can organize my house on consoles!) and more importantly, have more hotkeys/macros than what controllers allow. For example, you no longer have to stick to radial menus. You could have the system open up a real menu and simply tap on what you want. Considering how things are mapped to the dpad right now, I would much prefer double my choices and mapping something like a stim pack to simply a light controller shake.

There are also obviously much more obvious advantages like voice controller AIs. There are a crapload of things you can do with AIs in Fallout and its a slow process to do them. Now you can do things like ask them to trade with you directly, give commands such as "wait in megaton" and so on.

The controls should be accurate and simple enough that you can do basic motions that have enough complexity that it would not be accidentally accessed by someone else in the room. This is also assured since there is skeletal tracking so it knows if its your hand or not. I am personally interested in seeing developers overcome the limitations of inefficiencies we've had with controllers in the past few generations. These changes alone would make the gameplay a lot smoother than what we've seen in the past.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#7RollnThunder213Posted 9/24/2013 7:57:49 AM
Many games have Kinect features that aren't Kinect operated.

Ryse, Dead Rising, and other games all have Kinect features. I think the best way will be to wait and see how it impacts the game before you can decide if it's fun or not, as some games might use it in interesting ways and some might be gimmicky.

You obviously can see the practical reasons for owning Kinect, I think you'll have an easier time deciding what you think of it after you see it in actual use and you can use your own judgement rather than people telling you certain features are interesting or not.
---
"No control beyond these skies"
GT: RollnThunder213
#8BadLuckIncPosted 9/24/2013 8:04:29 AM
Mindwipe77 posted...
easy for the Gov to spy on you is another plus

Quick man get off the internet! They are on to you! Oh you are already doomed. They know everything now. You better toss out that Cellphone too.. oh you already smashed it and melted the SIM in acid? Good job man.

Phew you put it to them didn't you. Glad that nothing else you own has the potential to have you information compromised and or spied on. You rock =)
---
Xbox One Day 1 edition Pre-Ordered via Amazon~
Xbox 360: Bad Luck Ink ~]=|~ Wii U NNID: BadLuckInk
#9couchtater12345Posted 9/24/2013 8:04:58 AM
Here's the thing, whether for better or for worse, when trying to introduce a new technology you have to commit to it. You can't offer it as an option because most people hate change and aren't going to want to have to deal with relearning how to do something. Additionally, developers are disinclined to develop something critical to gameplay on something a fraction of the gaming population has because that severely limits their market. By mandating the Kinect, MS has given developers the ability to develop some seriously cool things with Kinect and assuming that it really has improved as much as MS claims, I think we're going to see some absolutely amazing things out of Kinect. Will it replace a controller? I doubt it since most people like to chill when they game. Will it supplement the controller in a meaningful way? I think it absolutely willl
---
I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.
#10Rybal(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 9:24:22 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
There is no reason commands have to be simple anymore. It has extremely accurate reads so there is no reason you can't use hand signals, drag items by pinching them, expand or manipulate by pulling, tugging or pushing and so on.

My statement was mostly in regards to voice commands, not motions. Just wanted to be clear.

However, I can't help but feel that you are giving the precision of the Kinect too much credit. From 6-8 feet away, I highly doubt that it would be able to discern millimeter differences in where your finger is (in the Pipboy example). For map movement, the touchpad on the DS4 is arguably better and will be more familiar to the average consumer.

Setting "hotkeys" for specific items (such as "Use Stimpak") could be interesting. Also, if calibrated correctly, your example of being able to organize items exactly how you'd like could be really useful. I can't remember how many times I tried to put the butterfly jar on a shelf in Skyrim (kind of OCD with that one).

couchtater12345 posted...
Here's the thing, whether for better or for worse, when trying to introduce a new technology you have to commit to it. You can't offer it as an option because most people hate change and aren't going to want to have to deal with relearning how to do something. Additionally, developers are disinclined to develop something critical to gameplay on something a fraction of the gaming population has because that severely limits their market. By mandating the Kinect, MS has given developers the ability to develop some seriously cool things with Kinect and assuming that it really has improved as much as MS claims, I think we're going to see some absolutely amazing things out of Kinect. Will it replace a controller? I doubt it since most people like to chill when they game. Will it supplement the controller in a meaningful way? I think it absolutely willl

Oh, I don't expect that it will ever replace the controller. My biggest gripe with it is actually related to my gripes about a lot of the X1's "features", some of which were removed, which is that they are/were forcing things on players without giving them any sort of tangible reason to expect something good out of it. Don't just tell me that something is/could be good. Show me why I should want it.
---
Brand loyalty is most evident in Apple acolytes - the Applytes - that most rabid of fan bases who will buy a brand new device with every minor upgrade