What are the benefits of Kinect?

#21DesperateMonkeyPosted 9/24/2013 11:31:22 AM(edited)
@Rybal

Sorry but it sounded like trolling when you compare the Kinect to the touchpad. Its not going to be more intuitive. A touchpad has never been more intuitive than iPad controls and thats what is being mimicked with the Kinect. You will be using it like a smart phone with pinch, zoom and so forth. The whole point of motion controls is that they are intuitive. It is also why its associated with casuals because their is practically no learning curve. You know how to move your hands? You know how to use motion controls.

As for the Pipboy, I didn't mean to raise your arm up like the pip boy in the game. It would be more like a motion where you take your hand off the controller and do an up motion with your hand for for like a quick swipe which then leads to a hand + controller controlled menu, whichever people want to use. It would be cool if you could even have it half raised or raised to the level you want while playing but that might be too much to ask for from a multiplat. Those kinds of advanced features would be better suited to exclusives.

For example a survival horror game could have you hold out a map while you run with the controller in your left hand, meaning you can look at a map in real time and hold it up but you wouldn't be able to fight effectively.

There are many interesting things you can do with Kinect now that it is powerful enough to actually be used in games.

This just wasn't possible with the previous Kinect. The thing would mess up if you had different lighting which means it would mess depending on how bright it is outside... It also had tremendous input lag and was way too inaccurate.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#22Rybal(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 1:10:34 PM
Like I said, I am not sold on Kinect (I have had my PS4 paid off since 11 June with no regrets).

I am just glad that I have seen some things that are positive about it, especially with all of the negativity that frequents these boards. Some of these possibilities are actually really interesting and I am interested to see how things play out over time.
---
Brand loyalty is most evident in Apple acolytes - the Applytes - that most rabid of fan bases who will buy a brand new device with every minor upgrade
#23MRL3G3NDPosted 9/24/2013 1:15:56 PM
Rybal posted...
Here's what I see the immediate benefits of Kinect are:

Menu interaction
Auto-login by using facial recognition
Auto-reorientation by using facial recognition
Simple commands
HIGHLY interactive games, such as dance games
Skype on your TV

None of these are enough to sell me on Kinect. What are some ways that the Kinect has been used to benefit the majority of games and how do you think it can be used to really make things better?

As someone who has thus far had no desire to have anything to do with Kinect, how can it be FUN? I'll be honest - part of the reason that I asked is because of the ign video where they were demonstrating some of the interactivity of Playroom with the PSEye, which actually made me start to consider it.

I understand that the Kinect is the superior camera, but I still want to know what they are going to do to make it interesting.

I also know that it's pointless to say this, but I'm looking for serious, non-trolling, answers only. There is no reason for a fan of one system or company to belittle the other; they both have their positives and negatives. I'd love to see a thread with no trolling, but that's probably about as likely as peace in the Middle East. Maybe less.

to add to that, none of those things will act as advertised lmao
the real truth is NuAds...it's the only reason MS is making you buy the thing...

I have Kinect 1.0, and it's a POS
the whole thing was a farce...whats crazy is that everything they say the Kinect 2.0 was promised to work in Kinect 1.0...they know no one will ever fall for that crap again so they force it on you this time

they screwed up by letting us know we can just chuck it in the trash when we unbox the damn thing...either that or trade it in for cash at gamestop and get a nice hamburger combo...maybe with cheese...
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q
#24WartPig_Posted 9/24/2013 2:06:13 PM
instead of moving my thumb a tiny bit i get to wave my arms and yell.
---
PSN-WartPigX, XBL-WartPig
"people talking without speaking, people hearing without listening"
#25DesperateMonkeyPosted 9/24/2013 3:19:25 PM
MRL3G3ND posted...
Rybal posted...

Menu interaction
Simple commands
Skype on your TV

None of these are enough to sell me on Kinect. What are some ways that the Kinect has been used to benefit the majority of games and how do you think it can be used to really make things better?

As someone who has thus far had no desire to have anything to do with Kinect, how can it be FUN? I'll be honest - part of the reason that I asked is because of the ign video where they were demonstrating some of the interactivity of Playroom with the PSEye, which actually made me start to consider it.

I understand that the Kinect is the superior camera, but I still want to know what they are going to do to make it interesting.

I also know that it's pointless to say this, but I'm looking for serious, non-trolling, answers only. There is no reason for a fan of one system or company to belittle the other; they both have their positives and negatives. I'd love to see a thread with no trolling, but that's probably about as likely as peace in the Middle East. Maybe less.

More troll facts.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#26MRL3G3NDPosted 9/25/2013 7:07:01 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
MRL3G3ND posted...
Rybal posted...

Menu interaction
Simple commands
Skype on your TV

More troll facts.

you are the number one troll here lol, desperately losing everyday
I've had kinect since launch, I wanted it to work, but I've had to just unplug it because it was more fail than helpful

You need to google NuAds...but then it wouldn't matter you are only here to troll people having a serious exchange about furutre gaming consoles...
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q
#27straymatterPosted 9/25/2013 7:49:05 AM(edited)
This new Kinect is looking to be very badass, we'll see if it works. It seems mostly to be surprising and impressing people.
I feel that during the time of launch they may have had a few work in progress issues making slight changes to the console and drivers etc.
I look forward to seeing how independents will be able to create with it now it is part of the sdk. We all get the sdk too.
One great benefit for Kinect is being able to create 3d motion capture, as well 3d object scanning and texture scanning.
In games there are so many opportunities waiting for someone to take advantage of untapped possibilities and huge demand.

I feel most know the potential is huge, and the new Kinect is truly capable to realize what the old one could not. Thanks.