Am I the only one that's very worried about what Phil Harrison just said?

#61ejay8320Posted 10/2/2013 10:15:05 AM
khardbored posted...
Porunga posted...
khardbored posted...
Did you even read the entire article?

"I think when you create a vision of the future, you paint the vision of the future that you are most excited about," he said. "But we got clear feedback that some of the things we were proposing were perhaps a little too far into the future. So we changed. We took feedback from the community; we changed our plans. We think that's a good thing."

Honestly, I find that statement a little insulting. Because the way I hear it is "We have a vision of the future, and you ignorant little cretins weren't mature and sophisticated to understand it.. so we had to take our glorious console back to the stupid ages."

Are you being serious? Everyone and their mother whined to no end about the features he is referring to. So they downgraded the console to appease all the complainers. I really have no idea how you took that as an insult to us.

It's an insult because they had chances multiple chances to revert policies earlier but chose not to and claim they are listening to their fans...

Chance 1: Right after the reveal - there was already an outcry about their policies
Chance 2: During E3 - a great majority disliked the policies
Chance 3: Right after Sony announced their policies and got an applause never seen in E3 Ever and should;ve been a clear indication of what the fans wanted.

3 chances to make the change where "listening to their fans" would be actually true. But they didn't they waited till the pre-order numbers came in to actually do something.

There were many indications before the pre-order numbers even came in that the policies were unpopular, yet they did nothing. And when the Pre-order numbers came in and they were well behind the PS4 numbers, they reverse their policies and claim to listen... This is an insult to our intelligence.
#62HypnoCooshPosted 10/2/2013 10:19:04 AM
This is common knowledge we all know xbone will change back to DRM when they have a large enough install base.
---
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~F.Nietzsche~
#63FriedLemonPosted 10/2/2013 4:18:42 PM
kidwgm posted...
FriedLemon posted...
I don't get why people think that digital only is "the future and that it's gonna happen whether you like it or not". Digital only will only happen if the consumers accept it, if the X1 has taught us anything it's that the majority of console gamers right now do not like the idea of going digital only.

When current evidence suggests that people are clearly not receptive to the idea of digital only, how can anyone say with a straight face that everything will be digital only and how digital only is "the future"?

Also like many people pointed out there are still many places selling CD/DVD and Bluray.

I can say it with a definitive straight face digital only is coming and a lot of people will be welcoming it with open arms. The only people that are not are just hanging on to this archaic disc based system.

Well then you're gonna have to lend me that crystal ball of yours, because all the current evidence is pointing towards that the majority of console gamers prefer a physical based medium.
#64kidwgmPosted 10/2/2013 4:26:54 PM
FriedLemon posted...
kidwgm posted...
FriedLemon posted...
I don't get why people think that digital only is "the future and that it's gonna happen whether you like it or not". Digital only will only happen if the consumers accept it, if the X1 has taught us anything it's that the majority of console gamers right now do not like the idea of going digital only.

When current evidence suggests that people are clearly not receptive to the idea of digital only, how can anyone say with a straight face that everything will be digital only and how digital only is "the future"?

Also like many people pointed out there are still many places selling CD/DVD and Bluray.

I can say it with a definitive straight face digital only is coming and a lot of people will be welcoming it with open arms. The only people that are not are just hanging on to this archaic disc based system.

Well then you're gonna have to lend me that crystal ball of yours, because all the current evidence is pointing towards that the majority of console gamers prefer a physical based medium.

With every generation of new medium there is always a resistance to the new. This resistance is because MS cowered to the whining self entitled gamers. Digital only is going to happen. It's the evolution of our media. Whether it be music, movies, books or games.
---
GT: Kid Whimsical 3DS FC: 4811-7436-8881
(Owner: gaming PC, 360, PS3, 3DS, Wii and Wii U.)
#65FriedLemonPosted 10/2/2013 4:53:17 PM(edited)
kidwgm posted...
FriedLemon posted...
kidwgm posted...
FriedLemon posted...

With every generation of new medium there is always a resistance to the new. This resistance is because MS cowered to the whining self entitled gamers. Digital only is going to happen. It's the evolution of our media. Whether it be music, movies, books or games.

I don't remember any kind of resistance to digital music, movies or books. In fact, there are still plenty of places selling the physical mediums of those 3 examples you mentioned.

Also, MS only changed their policies after the first preorders came out. Judging by how they presented the X1 reveal and how they completely ignored the massive backlash from gamers on the internet. They obviously didn't care about the core gaming audience at all, their target was the casual consumer.

However, after the first preorders came out it was obvious that their policies didn't even appeal to the casual audience, hence the policy change.

So again, how can you say with a straight face that console games will be digital only when current evidence clearly suggests otherwise?
#66kidwgmPosted 10/2/2013 6:39:01 PM
Easy. Look at the trajectory this is going with all mediums. Gaming is going to go all digital maybe not completely this next gen but is going to happen.
---
GT: Kid Whimsical 3DS FC: 4811-7436-8881
(Owner: gaming PC, 360, PS3, 3DS, Wii and Wii U.)
#67anonmanPosted 10/2/2013 6:50:55 PM
harrison, your vision for the future of gaming is ****, I will never accept it. When gaming goes all digital, I'm done.
#68SORS_IMMANISPosted 10/2/2013 6:51:31 PM
ejay8320 posted...
It's an insult because they had chances multiple chances to revert policies earlier but chose not to and claim they are listening to their fans...

Chance 1: Right after the reveal - there was already an outcry about their policies
Chance 2: During E3 - a great majority disliked the policies
Chance 3: Right after Sony announced their policies and got an applause never seen in E3 Ever and should;ve been a clear indication of what the fans wanted.

3 chances to make the change where "listening to their fans" would be actually true. But they didn't they waited till the pre-order numbers came in to actually do something.

There were many indications before the pre-order numbers even came in that the policies were unpopular, yet they did nothing. And when the Pre-order numbers came in and they were well behind the PS4 numbers, they reverse their policies and claim to listen... This is an insult to our intelligence.

Precisely.
#69pigman2003Posted 10/2/2013 6:56:25 PM
Every time I think people start to get to an intelligent point across I get a thread like this.

Microsoft said it's trying to bring back family sharing, not DRM.

Their will always be discs, don't take things out of context, that's how wars start.

To be honest as it stands now, Sony is much more DRM heavy than Microsoft.

PS Plus free games require a subscription or you can't play them, that includes an internet connection, Sound familiar? Microsoft's free games are free no matter what, once you download them you own them.

Sony has released frequent firmware updates to update security including tying your account to be able to play digitally downloaded games, Microsoft has not.

I just call it as I see it. The Xbox One looks like a great system with a ton of fun games to play at launch and far into the future.

The PS4 looks like a great system with nothing at launch in addition to hardly anything in the future.

Why is it that Everyone feels the need to bring up topics discussed dozens of times?

We'll have our fun and you can have yours.....3 months after launch when Infamous comes out.
#70TheCyborgNinjaPosted 10/2/2013 7:02:27 PM(edited)
I don't think they're popular enough right now to make any big moves with the Xbox One. I think they'll probably save it up for the next system.

Also worth mentioning: The DRM stuff was so unpopular they had to overhaul their console or face a complete and utter failure at launch. The fact they backed down on what seemed like a key component is proof that they've learned not to go against the grain again regarding this issue. The same people who refused to buy the Xbox One until the "always on" was scrapped would probably jump ship to PS4 if they brought it back, or at the very least feel their rights were infringed and potentially start a class-action lawsuit.

---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo