Why do Sony even try with PS+?

#101embrandedonePosted 9/26/2013 12:54:31 AM
Woah there, feller. What do you think you're doing with this topic? You might go and hurt some poor Xb1 fanboy's feelings.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzLUYX7M1SQ -- The Xbox One Board
#102YumeOMiru(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 2:50:23 AM
A few things worth mentioning, the worth of this month PS+ exceeds €50, counting what the games would cost if you bought them of PSN, and I´m not even counting the magnitude of PS+ discounts on discounted games.

So since I got my one year PS+ membership for €18 (it was great offer from Sony), I got all that for around €2 a month.

Now if we look at Xbox Gold, you get a €4 game (preowned at Gamestop for €1.5), the ability to bypass the blockade for online gaming and netflix for €8 (Just estimating). And the free games will end by November right?

So I´m must be quite blind to not see why people pay for Gold, are the Amercian´s just ignorant or am I simply not seeing the ultra benefits?
---
Having a dream is essential to live.
#103GotTruthPosted 9/26/2013 2:54:39 AM
I saw the Games for Gold was a Rainbow Six title and laughed; I did not get it. I would have been more excited for StreetFighterxTekken.....
---
You know they call it main-stream? Its because a stream is shallow.
GT: BuzzKillingt0n
#104ViryuPosted 9/26/2013 3:05:01 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
I don't think at any point has PSN ever been better than Xbox as an online service. With PS+, its a better value than what is on the 360. But you are being delusional if you think its about giving back to the fans. It was to justify paying $50 for something that is considered inferior to the competition. PSN has followed the pattern of waiting for Xbox to show them the way and then follow with an inferior imitation.

IMO, PS+ is a better value now than XBL on the 360 because its copied most of what XBL does and gives away games. But on the XB1 vs PS4 front, thats a completely different story. Giving away some games is really going to be the way to justify the lack of comprehensive dedicated server support, the lack of Cloud power (since they don't actually own much in terms of servers) and the other features that XBL is coming out with first.

Whereas XBL is delivering a better online experience, PS4 plans to make up for it with giving away games. You are kidding yourself if you think either of these companies are doing it just for the fans and not for increasing their userbase. All that talk about PS+ beating XBL yet PS+ still has far less subscribers, something Sony wants to remedy before the next generation. You are also kidding yourself if you think providing dedicated servers is easier or cheaper than giving the free games. Dedicated server support is a much more massive undertaking which requires a huge investment of capital. The only reason MS can do it is because they are rich and they deal in software anyways.

Xbot alert! Xbot alert! I hope you're enjoying having to pay for lag fiesta P2P connection on Gold, while PS3 users had online on DEDICATED SERVERS since forever. For free. Now MS suddenly discovered the existence of dedicated servers and advertises how they innovate games with them, while for Sony it's something as normal as breathing, and PS4 games will use those as well.

Also, just lol at that "cloud power," it would be valid if not so idiotic. Everything can use "cloud," just look at Titanfall. It was advcertised to use "cloud," but it will come out on 360 and PCs as well, so yeah... cloud is nothing more than dedicated servers. Which Sony used for years. And now they will have their Gaikai as well, which could be utilised in the same way.

Do you know why people hate MS? Because they introduced the oh so innovative blackmailing into buying subscriptions, or no online. Sony was smart enough, and works on incentives, gives people choices if they want free games or not. PS4 won't be much different, since so many F2P games won't require PS+, nor will other services (like Netflix) or subscription based games.

PoppaKrogan posted...
the free games on PS+ would be a great idea, if their online system didn't download at 1MB an hour.

Buy a better connection, I've downloaded Far Cry 3 in 1 hour.
#105NewmoonPosted 9/26/2013 5:59:06 AM
YumeOMiru posted...
A few things worth mentioning, the worth of this month PS+ exceeds €50, counting what the games would cost if you bought them of PSN, and I´m not even counting the magnitude of PS+ discounts on discounted games.

So since I got my one year PS+ membership for €18 (it was great offer from Sony), I got all that for around €2 a month.

Now if we look at Xbox Gold, you get a €4 game (preowned at Gamestop for €1.5), the ability to bypass the blockade for online gaming and netflix for €8 (Just estimating). And the free games will end by November right?

So I´m must be quite blind to not see why people pay for Gold, are the Amercian´s just ignorant or am I simply not seeing the ultra benefits?

People pay for Gold to play online, people pay for Plus for the game subscriptions. They are not really comparable services at the current time. If you have a 360 and want to play online you need to have an XBL subscription. If you can't understand that I can't help you, do you really think that playstation plus membership isn't going to increase on PS4? Why us that, mandatory online fees. . The games with gold thing is not the reason why anyone buys gold.

The current version of plus is awesome though the value is overstated, the real value for each user is the marginal amount the user would be willing to pay for each game, not how much each game costs. For example. A game you already own has 0 value to you on plus (save for the possibility that you trade in your game to download the plus version. While a game that you are very interest may have the full $40 value (value shouldn't exceed the cost to but elsewhere).

When plus becomes mandatory for online play subscriptions will likely increase tenfold which is why I do not believe that it will be providing games at the same rate and quality as it does now.
---
WWE Fantasy Name: Blings 4 Life Season 4 and 6 Gamefaqs League Champion
Former PWB Trivia '07 Champ! -Crowned by DarkRuneblade
#106kyncaniPosted 9/26/2013 8:10:20 AM
HellsController posted...
kyncani posted...
El_Zaggy posted...
as a member of ps+ I find the next month pretty awesome :)

As a PS+ member, I got :

- (ps3) Far Cry 3
- (ps3) Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
- (ps3) Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
- (Vita) Street Fighter X Tekken
- (Vita) Touch My Katamari

Just yesterday :)

When the PS4 gets out, throw two or three PS4 games in that mix every month.

Xbox Live is a complete joke. It's like they're not even trying to make the Xbox One a game console.

Eurobros always seem to get better games. Though I did miss out on some games by buying the 3 month instead of a year earlier in January. Didn't make that mistake when I signed up for it again recently.

I'm also building up my vita library for when I eventually get one.

Pro tip : extend your PS+ subscription when PS+ itself is on sale ;)

Like for example :

YumeOMiru posted...

^ That is the way you extend your PS+ subscription.
#107vashtrichamPosted 9/26/2013 9:45:32 AM
Newmoon posted...
YumeOMiru posted...

People pay for Gold to play online, people pay for Plus for the game subscriptions. They are not really comparable services at the current time. If you have a 360 and want to play online you need to have an XBL subscription. If you can't understand that I can't help you, do you really think that playstation plus membership isn't going to increase on PS4? Why us that, mandatory online fees. . The games with gold thing is not the reason why anyone buys gold.

The current version of plus is awesome though the value is overstated, the real value for each user is the marginal amount the user would be willing to pay for each game, not how much each game costs. For example. A game you already own has 0 value to you on plus (save for the possibility that you trade in your game to download the plus version. While a game that you are very interest may have the full $40 value (value shouldn't exceed the cost to but elsewhere).

When plus becomes mandatory for online play subscriptions will likely increase tenfold which is why I do not believe that it will be providing games at the same rate and quality as it does now.

Just because they will have more users does not equal less games or quality. Sony still has to compete with Msoft and their subscribers have to come to relate the value Ps+ with games, sales and discounts. This will not change, just like msoft hasnt stopped trying to compete with sony by now giving away games. The only thing that will happen is fewer games until the library increases but we will get more indie games and F2p games in order to bridge the gap.
---
Injustice Main: Superman, Flash
Subs : Green Lantern, Shazam
#108Charging_ZebraPosted 9/26/2013 9:51:01 AM
Sweet, FC3 is muh game. PS+ is awesome.
#109Ryan-06Posted 9/26/2013 3:16:23 PM
MicroSleaze.
---
http://i.imgur.com/40W5r.jpg -wisdom
0=Rei. Pronounced Rei-six. Born New England. Lived in Japan. Citizen of Earth. Want to move to Canada.
#110DesperateMonkeyPosted 9/27/2013 5:53:21 AM(edited)
Viryu posted...
DesperateMonkey posted...
I don't think at any point has PSN ever been better than Xbox as an online service. With PS+, its a better value than what is on the 360. But you are being delusional if you think its about giving back to the fans. It was to justify paying $50 for something that is considered inferior to the competition. PSN has followed the pattern of waiting for Xbox to show them the way and then follow with an inferior imitation.

IMO, PS+ is a better value now than XBL on the 360 because its copied most of what XBL does and gives away games. But on the XB1 vs PS4 front, thats a completely different story. Giving away some games is really going to be the way to justify the lack of comprehensive dedicated server support, the lack of Cloud power (since they don't actually own much in terms of servers) and the other features that XBL is coming out with first.

Whereas XBL is delivering a better online experience, PS4 plans to make up for it with giving away games. You are kidding yourself if you think either of these companies are doing it just for the fans and not for increasing their userbase. All that talk about PS+ beating XBL yet PS+ still has far less subscribers, something Sony wants to remedy before the next generation. You are also kidding yourself if you think providing dedicated servers is easier or cheaper than giving the free games. Dedicated server support is a much more massive undertaking which requires a huge investment of capital. The only reason MS can do it is because they are rich and they deal in software anyways.

Xbot alert! Xbot alert! I hope you're enjoying having to pay for lag fiesta P2P connection on Gold, while PS3 users had online on DEDICATED SERVERS since forever. For free. Now MS suddenly discovered the existence of dedicated servers and advertises how they innovate games with them, while for Sony it's something as normal as breathing, and PS4 games will use those as well.

I think you really need to educate yourself. The PS3 has almost the same number of dedicated server games as the Xbox 360. Everyone has been asking for them. The PS3 could not even assure dedicated servers for its biggest games (uncharted 3 and Last of Us), let alone come anywhere close to what the XB1 is trying to do with dedicated.

Sorry if you thought Xbox 360 games didn't have any dedicated servers at all but even if your misinformation was truth it would still make no difference to the issues of PS4 vs XB1. Its only relevant in the minds of fanboys. Its going to be an undeniable fact. Just as PS4 is undeniably going to look better sometime in the future, XB1 is going to have much better dedicated server support. The PS3 had like 1-2% of games running on dedicated. Pretty much a joke compared to XB1.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H