Microsofts and kinect - Their "vision" compared to our "vision"

#11LICKWIDPAlNPosted 9/25/2013 3:36:41 PM
aj4x94 posted...
I've been wondering a bit about this whole Kinect business. If Xbox One buyers never use the Kinect, or people simply don't buy the One because it has Kinect bundled, will Microsoft finally get the message that we don't want Kinect and boot it out forever?

Nope. Too much money to be made from the ads.
---
PS3 / Vita / 2600K@4.7Ghz water cooled by Corsair H80, Dual GTX580s in SLi, 8 Gigs Corsair RAM, 120Hz screen. Vsync? I don't need no Vsync!
#12Ramsus082Posted 9/25/2013 5:02:55 PM
Sony and Nintendo aren't the competitors that Microsoft was targeting with the XboxOne. They're really trying to compete against Google and Amazon and Apple, where there's a lot of products and services tied up in that competition that brings in more potential for revenue, long term. Things like Cloud hosting, which has been existence for who knows how long now, are being talked about like they're new concepts not because of gaming benefits necessarily, but because there's huge competition in the server hosting industry especially lately and Microsoft wants a bigger piece of that. Amazon slashed their prices for their cloud hosting by a third less than a week after the XboxOne's, which is NOT a coincidence. Bing integration helps them compete better against Google in the search market, and Windows integration allows them a better footing against Android.

The Kinect? Plenty of people will have some neat interactions with it, for sure. But it's here to help Microsoft compete with Google in advertising. This is obvious.

Microsoft completely underestimated Sony or just doesn't care about the backlash and the Xbox brand being tarnished as much as many want them to care; The XboxOne trojan-horses so many Microsoft products and services, that it's clear who the console was built to compete against.
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#13NewmoonPosted 9/25/2013 6:27:07 PM
By creating a 100% attach rate the kinect will be far more intrigial to the system then it ever could be with the 360 which had a 30% attach rate.

The kinect hatred is by and large stupid, the price point is fair but the people who state that they would buy a Xb1 without kinect for $500 are idiots plain an simple.

Also I hate that the people here state that no one wants a kinect when the original sold more then any video game of the last gen not bundled with a system. We might as well complain about how no one wants COD.
---
WWE Fantasy Name: Blings 4 Life Season 4 and 6 Gamefaqs League Champion
Former PWB Trivia '07 Champ! -Crowned by DarkRuneblade
#14Ramsus082Posted 9/25/2013 7:03:40 PM
The fact that there's no killer-app for Kinect, and there never has been one, has nothing to do with the attachment rate previously. Nobody so far has made a good case for the thing in games. If there ever was a time for a killer Kinect app, why wouldn't it be now, and from the company that's trying to sell us over on it's forced inclusion in the first place? You don't need a 100% attach rate to demonstrate innovation. Most of us have yet to see any innovation that justifies it. Why isn't it here yet? We're being asked to buy and subsidize it right now. Is that not a fair question?
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#15HellsControllerPosted 9/25/2013 7:42:41 PM
Newmoon posted...
By creating a 100% attach rate the kinect will be far more intrigial to the system then it ever could be with the 360 which had a 30% attach rate.

The kinect hatred is by and large stupid, the price point is fair but the people who state that they would buy a Xb1 without kinect for $500 are idiots plain an simple.

Also I hate that the people here state that no one wants a kinect when the original sold more then any video game of the last gen not bundled with a system. We might as well complain about how no one wants COD.

You do understand that the Kinect also came bundled right?
---
I spilled Spot Remover on my dog....Now he's gone
#16LICKWIDPAlNPosted 9/25/2013 7:52:03 PM
Once you realize that MS just needs to sell 10 million XBones to eclipse the profits of the 360 long term due to the data mined focus advertising, it will all make sense.

A wise man once said "Follow the money".

How much money does MS stand to gain with those Kinects doing data acquisition? Heck, I won't lie, if I was MS and I knew my fanbase was that stupid, I'd do it too.
---
PS3 / Vita / 2600K@4.7Ghz water cooled by Corsair H80, Dual GTX580s in SLi, 8 Gigs Corsair RAM, 120Hz screen. Vsync? I don't need no Vsync!
#17GotTruthPosted 9/26/2013 3:11:48 AM
LICKWIDPAlN posted...
Once you realize that MS just needs to sell 10 million XBones to eclipse the profits of the 360 long term due to the data mined focus advertising, it will all make sense.

A wise man once said "Follow the money".

How much money does MS stand to gain with those Kinects doing data acquisition? Heck, I won't lie, if I was MS and I knew my fanbase was that stupid, I'd do it too.

^this guys gets it.
---
You know they call it main-stream? Its because a stream is shallow.
GT: BuzzKillingt0n
#18scoobydoobydontPosted 9/26/2013 3:16:23 AM
"Our vision"? There is no us, I want Kinect. Hell, Kinect is more interesting than One itself. 360 2.0 with a Kinect 2 that has the bandwidth it needs would be more appealing than an Xbox One with no Kinect. Also, lol at the "dictatorship" remark. You have a choice, buy a different console. Buh bye.
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
http://i.imgur.com/mRh5ifp.png
#19MrSpaM111Posted 9/26/2013 3:27:03 AM
BadLuckInc posted...
I'm open minded to this technology, and the fact that everyone who buys a new X1 will have it in their box, it makes me a little more hopeful that developers and Microsoft will do more with it.

It's like a camera on a smart phone. Most phones come with a camera, so many apps, and other features can be utilized because more people have it rather than a small percent. If the incentive is there and the user base (regardless if people use the Kinect or not), at least it won't be a waste of time logically if everyone has it.

You say that though, but how many of the XBO launch games are using the Kinect for anything other than voice commands, which you could simply do with a headset instead?

The answer : Zero

Developers have no faith in this piece of hardware, every video we have seen of Kinect 2.0 show it has the exact same lag issues as the previous one, if they can't eliminate the main issue everybody had with the previous one I honestly don't see the point in bundling it with the console and increasing the price.
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#20LICKWIDPAlNPosted 9/26/2013 4:42:13 AM
scoobydoobydont posted...
"Our vision"? There is no us, I want Kinect. Hell, Kinect is more interesting than One itself. 360 2.0 with a Kinect 2 that has the bandwidth it needs would be more appealing than an Xbox One with no Kinect. Also, lol at the "dictatorship" remark. You have a choice, buy a different console. Buh bye.

How can the Kinect be more interesting when there is basically nothing of note that has been shown for it? And Yet, Xbots say that the ps4 has no gamez so that's why they want the XBone.

Sounds a little hypocritical if you ask me.
---