For people who can't comprehend the differences between Ram

#1TurtlePowahPosted 9/25/2013 9:36:39 AM
There is this strange rumor that Xbox One will have better ram because of the ESRAM speeds of 204GB/s because of this article "http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-the-xbox-one-architects".

So let us see ^_^, let us input the numbers.

The smallest number we are dealing here with is 32MB so to avoid confusion for you people not good at math we will only use 32MB increments.

Xbox One has 256 32MB blocks running at 68GB/s has 1 32MB block running at 204GB/s.

PS4 has 256 32MB blocks running at 176GB/s.

So what happens if PS4 256 blocks and Xbox Ones 257 blocks run for 1 minute? 1 hour? How much data gets transferred?

These numbers represent operations achieved with max through put to give a idea of how much more "data" will be going through the chips.

PS4 @ 1 min - 2,703,360
One @ 1 min - 1,056,720

PS4 @ 1 hour - 162,201,600
One @ 1 hour - 63,403,200

That's PS4 Ram running 255.8% times faster then Xbox Ones Ram while utilizing its "ESRAM".

So will people please stop acting like 1/257th of Xbox Ones ram will make the system faster.... Please?
#2Skynet82997Posted 9/25/2013 9:40:39 AM
Well, I'm sure you know more than the people who actually created the thing, so yes - we will defer to your superior knowledge that it is indeed a slow piece of ****, utterly inferior to the mighty PS4 in every conceivable way.
---
XBL Gamertag - SkyNett / PSN ID - SkyeNett / Clan - TheSynndicate
#3bksonic123Posted 9/25/2013 9:41:17 AM
So when people say "8GB ram", they actually mean 256 32MB blocks of RAM? I didn't know that, thanks.
#4khardboredPosted 9/25/2013 9:44:47 AM
Wow Turtle, just wow. You really can't grasp the concept of esRAM. You're pretty much wrong.
---
As I was going up the stairs I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. I wish, I wish he'd go away.
#5TurtlePowah(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2013 9:47:24 AM
bksonic123 posted...
So when people say "8GB ram", they actually mean 256 32MB blocks of RAM? I didn't know that, thanks.

It's fine most people don't know that Ram Boards have multiple Ram chips on them.

Though to be accurate it doesn't really matter, all we were looking for is the percent. To show the total speed differences between the two. So you could of looked at it from any increment as long as it matched the smallest. (such meaning 8mb and 16mb would of worked as well)

Though in this case you are correct in your assumption ^_^.
#6TurtlePowah(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2013 9:47:59 AM
khardbored posted...
Wow Turtle, just wow. You really can't grasp the concept of esRAM. You're pretty much wrong.

I did this to explain it to people like you, but I guess some people can never grasp or understand hardware ~_~.
#7GothmogzPosted 9/25/2013 9:48:19 AM
You expect irrational fanboys to understand something logic like Math?, your faith in the cloud is disturbing.
---
Gamertag: Alehappy
#8psycho_slicerPosted 9/25/2013 9:48:41 AM
I think he is just trying to say that people are over reacting to the addition of esram, which I actually agree with.
#9capnhowdy18Posted 9/25/2013 9:52:05 AM
Sure except thats not at all how ram will be utilized by just running full till for an hour at a time. Theres tons of small reads and writes.

This is the exact argument that the engineers at MS have been making. You can't just use the raw power of the top spec and say it has x% performance over the other. You have to look at real world usage. MS has supposedly looked at where the most read & write are and designed their memory around that usage.

Now where they successful in there tweaks? Idk. Is it faster or at least comparable to Ps4's actual memory in game? Idk. But MS is claiming around 140-150GB/s on their system, realworld, in game. Its possible they are lying, but considering how high the peak is, it seems to me they would have lied higher. PS4 supposedly has a peak of 176gb/s. I say supposedly cause sony is being mum about any modifications they have made. We don't know how often it will really stay at peak though.
#10TurtlePowah(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2013 9:56:07 AM
capnhowdy18 posted...
Sure except thats not at all how ram will be utilized by just running full till for an hour at a time. Theres tons of small reads and writes.

This is the exact argument that the engineers at MS have been making. You can't just use the raw power of the top spec and say it has x% performance over the other. You have to look at real world usage. MS has supposedly looked at where the most read & write are and designed their memory around that usage.

Now where they successful in there tweaks? Idk. Is it faster or at least comparable to Ps4's actual memory in game? Idk. But MS is claiming around 140-150GB/s on their system, realworld, in game. Its possible they are lying, but considering how high the peak is, it seems to me they would have lied higher. PS4 supposedly has a peak of 176gb/s. I say supposedly cause sony is being mum about any modifications they have made. We don't know how often it will really stay at peak though.

I could run the number with a more "realistic example" such as only 60%-80% of the ram running constantly.

But either way the ESRAM even if it's running 24/7 only makes up for 1/257th of the total ram. For it to run "faster" then the PS4s ram the PS4 would literally have to be using less then 32 MB of RAM @_@ ignoring the other 8,160MB.