What has Microsoft actually pioneered in the videogame industry?

#1Dev0311Posted 9/25/2013 11:34:25 AM
After we all witnessed the massive failure of Microsoft trying to steer console gaming into an always on, DRM-locked, Kinect'd future, I'm sure many have stepped back and wondered why Microsoft even thought that they could pull this off in the first place. The gaming industry has been on a certain trajectory before Microsoft even came into the picture, so I suspect that's why the Xbone failed to impress people with all its crazy new 'features'. Cause the Xbone was so out of touch with what people were expecting.

So I'm asking all of you, what has Microsoft actually contributed to the growth of the game industry?

For example, Nintendo pioneered many of the controller features that are now pretty much common place today. Nintendo might not have been the first to develop those features like analogs, shoulder buttons, rumble, etc. but they were the first to bring them to our console gaming industry at a mass scale. Nintendo is also the handheld gaming king.

Sony pioneered disc-based consoles, and is now exploring streaming services that could change gaming forever. I'd say Sony is also the current leader in graphics technology.

Microsoft pioneered Kinect technology. Not too many people find that very appealing though. What else?
#2rusty12000Posted 9/25/2013 11:36:27 AM
DLC, Day one Patches, On Disc DLC, Charging to play online games....
---
Everything EA contributed to gamers around the world in one youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoesEFWZnM
#3YeomanlyPosted 9/25/2013 11:37:12 AM
Really?

PC gaming, MS DOS, Windows, DirectX.
#4LovecraftiangodPosted 9/25/2013 11:37:43 AM
The answer is TV integration and voice controls that they failed to get to work in most countries
---
PSN kolobos212 The time has come when the normal revolt against time,space, and matter H.P. Lovecraft
#5Cable_mvc2Posted 9/25/2013 11:37:44 AM
Charging to play online and the RROD.
---
Think your argument out, because I likely already have before you've posted it.
---- Vegito >>> Bills ----
#6xninjagrrlPosted 9/25/2013 11:38:04 AM
They are actually quite accomplished. How many other companies/products would you tolerate if you had to keep buying new ones every year because they kept breaking? Xbox is like crack rock.
---
Pros: The pills were there.
Cons: So was the tank.
#7VRViperIIPosted 9/25/2013 11:38:26 AM
Online gaming done right.
---
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rheagar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Valar Morghulis
#8Skynet82997Posted 9/25/2013 11:38:28 AM
If you want to fit in on this board, then you'd have to say they pioneered every last terrible thing about the gaming industry.

And terminal cancer.

They pioneered terminal cancer too.
---
XBL Gamertag - SkyNett / PSN ID - SkyeNett / Clan - TheSynndicate
#9YeomanlyPosted 9/25/2013 11:39:23 AM
Oh forgot to add, Sony pioneered CD based console, how old are you?

CDTV
#10Sniper_BrosefPosted 9/25/2013 11:46:17 AM
Dev0311 posted...
After we all witnessed the massive failure of Microsoft trying to steer console gaming into an always on, DRM-locked, Kinect'd future, I'm sure many have stepped back and wondered why Microsoft even thought that they could pull this off in the first place. The gaming industry has been on a certain trajectory before Microsoft even came into the picture, so I suspect that's why the Xbone failed to impress people with all its crazy new 'features'. Cause the Xbone was so out of touch with what people were expecting.

So I'm asking all of you, what has Microsoft actually contributed to the growth of the game industry?

For example, Nintendo pioneered many of the controller features that are now pretty much common place today. Nintendo might not have been the first to develop those features like analogs, shoulder buttons, rumble, etc. but they were the first to bring them to our console gaming industry at a mass scale. Nintendo is also the handheld gaming king.

Sony pioneered disc-based consoles, and is now exploring streaming services that could change gaming forever. I'd say Sony is also the current leader in graphics technology.

Microsoft pioneered Kinect technology. Not too many people find that very appealing though. What else?

LOL! If you're this obviously ignorant why are you posting? The Sega Saturn launched before the Playstation and even those were predated well before by another system. Got anything else to troll with?
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.