Courting The Casuals: Player Customization In Call Of Duty: Ghosts

#1Dev445Posted 9/25/2013 5:19:55 PM
by Ben Hanson

It's refreshing to know that even Infinity Ward's executive producer Mark Rubin doesn't understand how Call of Duty has acquired such a gigantic player-base. Trying to add something new to the series and a stab in the dark at giving the silent majority of players something they might want, Call of Duty: Ghosts is offering extensive player customization options in multiplayer. We spoke with Rubin about this addition to the series and his attempts to better understand the audience that plays his team's games.

Watch the video interview below to hear Rubin talk about the power of customization, courting mass audiences, and how MMOs and Street Fighter have shaped Call of Duty.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/09/25/courting-the-casuals-player-customization-in-call-of-duty-ghosts.aspx
---
"You all say you want to be human, but why would you want to become something so flawed" - Edward Elric - FullMetal Alchemist
#2knightimexPosted 9/25/2013 6:28:45 PM
So a fast paced arcade style shooter is now considered a game for casuals?

Stupid/10
---
Games I'm currently playing: Star Ocean 2 (Ps1), Legend of Zelda OoT (N64).
#3BudWisenheimerPosted 9/25/2013 8:24:42 PM
knightimex posted...

Stupid/10

The majority of people I know who play CoD now are exactly as described in the video. Both young and old. But most of them with a family and a career. I'm either playing golf with them or CoD. They couldn't care less when I bring up a game like Last of Us.
#495_EclipsePosted 9/25/2013 8:35:59 PM
knightimex posted...

Stupid/10

Well, it is CoD. About the most simplistic game there is. It honestly is the most casual shooter out, which is why it sells so well.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
If you believe used games are the industries problem, then you sir or ma'am are a fool.
#5HiddenRoarPosted 9/25/2013 10:23:52 PM
knightimex posted...

Stupid/10

That anyone can pick up and play? And that being the only game they play (if not with Madden)

Like 10 year olds and 30+ year olds?

Yes.
#6Millertime660Posted 9/25/2013 10:47:34 PM
I dont see why anyone has an issue with people playing CoD. Casual or "Core" - Its a fun pick up and play game for some people..... quick matches, and the game is built extremely well with super tight controls. Most people on here seem to hate CoD anyways. So wheres the issue?
#7adonfrazPosted 9/25/2013 11:24:47 PM
Millertime660 posted...
I dont see why anyone has an issue with people playing CoD. Casual or "Core" - Its a fun pick up and play game for some people..... quick matches, and the game is built extremely well with super tight controls. Most people on here seem to hate CoD anyways. So wheres the issue?

Some gamers believe CoD's success has a negative impact on the gaming industry. It sells well, yet comes out every year, and doesn't change much year to year (Sports games too, but they've been that way so long). These gamers think every single developer will try to copy the CoD formula with their games like annual releases, season passes, and little changes between games.

I've played a lot of great games this gen, so I really don't care that much.
---
XBL GT: Loyal Catalyst
PSN ID: Loyal_Catalyst 3DS FC: (Loyal) 0533-4535-6191
#8Millertime660Posted 9/25/2013 11:46:14 PM
adonfraz posted...
Millertime660 posted...

Some gamers believe CoD's success has a negative impact on the gaming industry. It sells well, yet comes out every year, and doesn't change much year to year (Sports games too, but they've been that way so long). These gamers think every single developer will try to copy the CoD formula with their games like annual releases, season passes, and little changes between games.

I've played a lot of great games this gen, so I really don't care that much.

I agree..... theres always gonna be great games regardless.
#9josuna123Posted 9/26/2013 12:22:34 AM
Casuals can have fun customizing their cute little outfits and emblems, while I'm customizing my vehicles for mass mayhem and destruction.

BF4 10/10 GOTY.

Goodnight.
#10scoobydoobydontPosted 9/26/2013 1:16:18 AM
I like this, and this is why IW CoD is the best. Eff the haters.
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
http://i.imgur.com/mRh5ifp.png