Let's talk about indies...

#1Kosmo240985Posted 9/26/2013 5:39:01 AM
ok , so everyone is talking about indie games.

and i'm just curious. what are some examples of indie games that were "hits"?

are we talking about arcade games? or are we talking about real games.

i'm not hating on indie games. i just feel that consoles are made for the AA, AAA etc games.

i mean would dark souls be considered indie? i mean it was not a well known game other than the fact that it was published by namco bandai. however from software the developer is not well known.

would titanfall be an indie then since respan is a brand new firm? other than its two members that have COD experience but were fired?

because if indie games are just arcade games, then sony can keep them. i have a tablet for that crap so can play that crap while i crap on the crapper.
---
GT: Kozzie85
#2Ch3wyPosted 9/26/2013 5:43:26 AM
They are self-published games. Meaning the developer is the same as the publisher.

Plenty of indie games are able to be played on fairly low end PCs but there are some that have AAA level graphics like Trine.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#3Kosmo240985(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 5:52:58 AM
Ch3wy posted...
They are self-published games. Meaning the developer is the same as the publisher.

Plenty of indie games are able to be played on fairly low end PCs but there are some that have AAA level graphics like Trine.

are they sold through retailers? or published as digital downloads?
---
#4scoobydoobydontPosted 9/26/2013 5:54:03 AM
Pretty much always DD.
---
"I don't hate people, I just feel better when they're not around." - Charles Bukowski
http://i.imgur.com/mRh5ifp.png
#5Kosmo240985(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 5:59:29 AM
scoobydoobydont posted...
Pretty much always DD.

any titles that were hits or popular? got fantastic ratings? anything like that?
---
#6Ch3wyPosted 9/26/2013 6:03:25 AM
Kosmo240985 posted...
scoobydoobydont posted...
Pretty much always DD.

any titles that were hits or popular? got fantastic ratings? anything like that?

Yes, plenty.

Minecraft, Bastion, Braid, Hotline Miami, To the Moon, Limbo, Super Meat Boy just to name a few.

Technically Valve games like Half Life 2 are independent but they don't tend to get called indie because the studio is too big.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#7goombatommyPosted 9/26/2013 6:12:29 AM
Kosmo240985 posted...

i'm not hating on indie games. i just feel that consoles are made for the AA, AAA etc games.

i mean would dark souls be considered indie? i mean it was not a well known game other than the fact that it was published by namco bandai. however from software the developer is not well known.

would titanfall be an indie then since respan is a brand new firm? other than its two members that have COD experience but were fired?

because if indie games are just arcade games, then sony can keep them. i have a tablet for that crap so can play that crap while i crap on the crapper.

I'm not a 100% fan of them, but I do respect them. But I'll try my hardest to help your feeble minded self out here..

So your basically asking a question or two about why people like Indie's, yet at the end of it you call them all crap. I'm confused as to what you're trying to accomplish here; legitimately wanting to know what makes Indie's so good or to just trash each and every single Indie game (which is sad, because you've clearly never played any.)

But, to answer your question:

Limbo
Super Meat Boy
Journey
Spelunky
Hotline Miami 1 (HM2 is coming soon)
Minecraft

Should I continue? And there are many, many other ones down the pipeline that look fantastic. What makes Indie's so good, is because they're usually by a smaller team (sometimes even a one-person developer), and it expresses the freedom of creativity and diversity. I applaud the developer/developers who put the effort into making these games.

But, I dare you - I challenge you to come up with something better than what I've listed above since you seem to know it all and consider them crap.
---
PSN ID - Frdranger
#8BigBizShillPosted 9/26/2013 6:20:50 AM
Pro tip: No one cares about indies except the hipster gamers that are going to complain about everything no matter what.
---
MasterChief14: "Oh look. Somebody incapable of reason so they resort to petty taunts."
#9Kosmo240985(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 6:26:42 AM
goombatommy posted...
Kosmo240985 posted...

I'm not a 100% fan of them, but I do respect them. But I'll try my hardest to help your feeble minded self out here..

So your basically asking a question or two about why people like Indie's, yet at the end of it you call them all crap. I'm confused as to what you're trying to accomplish here; legitimately wanting to know what makes Indie's so good or to just trash each and every single Indie game (which is sad, because you've clearly never played any.)

Limbo
Super Meat Boy
Journey
Spelunky
Minecraft

Should I continue? And there are many, many other ones down the pipeline that look fantastic. What makes Indie's so good, is because they're usually by a smaller team (sometimes even a one-person developer), and it expresses the freedom of creativity and diversity. I applaud the developer/developers who put the effort into making these games.

But, I dare you - I challenge you to come up with something better than what I've listed above since you seem to know it all and consider them crap.

sorry for not being as hardcore informed as you are. i have a life (not using it as an insult or saying you don't) and that life keeps me busy between friend, the missus, work, softball, football etc you get my point.

unless these games become advertised more loudly, i will most likely come across them as pooper games. games i play on my tablet on the pooper. i've actually played micecraft, bastion and limbo. good games, but they are mediocre at best to the real console games.

if you had a choice of playing titanfall, dr3 or bastion what would you choose?

i would choose the two former.

so when people yell and shout at how unfair microsoft is to indie gamers, i could care less. i don't buy consoles for bastion, i buy them for madden, cod, dark souls, etc..
---
#10Ch3wyPosted 9/26/2013 6:29:39 AM
Kosmo240985 posted...
goombatommy posted...
Kosmo240985 posted...

Limbo
Super Meat Boy
Journey
Spelunky
Minecraft

sorry for not being as hardcore informed as you are. i have a life (not using it as an insult or saying you don't) and that life keeps me busy between friend, the missus, work, softball, football etc you get my point.

unless these games become advertised more loudly, i will most likely come across them as pooper games. games i play on my tablet on the pooper. i've actually played micecraft, bastion and limbo. good games, but they are mediocre at best to the real console games.

if you had a choice of playing titanfall, dr3 or bastion what would you choose?

i would choose the two former.

so when people yell and shout at how unfair microsoft is to indie gamers, i could care less. i don't buy consoles for bastion, i buy them for madden, cod, dark souls, etc..

Good for you.

For people who don't judge games by how shiny they look, they're kind of a big deal.
---