Cloud can improve graphics?

#1MrImpatient35Posted 9/26/2013 7:07:07 AM(edited)
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09/26/microsofts-phil-harrison-explains-that-xbox-ones-cloud-can-actually-improve-graphics/

Itís also about cloud processing and AI. This is where some of the computational effort of a game can be offloaded to the dedicated CPUs on the cloud, to make your game experience even better, better graphics, better lighting, better physics.

This is an example of where we think the the cloud is going to push the next generation of game development in new and creative ways, that will make the experience even more better.

I find this hard to believe. Part of it anyway. I can believe the whole lighting, physics, and AI thing, but Cloud improving the graphics? I'm not sure about that one. I was already a fan of cloud for better AI, but this would just be icing on the cake. Until I actually see it for myself, I'm only gonna be hype about cloud improving the AI in games, because horrible AI can make a great game suck.
---
Dost thou even hoist?
Dead Rising 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 are already a done deal!
#2goombatommyPosted 9/26/2013 7:10:33 AM(edited)
I still find a lot of this hypothetical and strange. So what about the people who have NO broadband or at best - very crappy broadband? How well does this fare for them?
---
PSN ID - Frdranger
#3LICKWIDPAlNPosted 9/26/2013 7:07:22 AM
This topic has bee discussed to death TC. It's basically blast processing all over again.
---
PS3 / Vita / 2600K@4.7Ghz water cooled by Corsair H80, Dual GTX580s in SLi, 8 Gigs Corsair RAM, 120Hz screen. Vsync? I don't need no Vsync!
#4BigBizShillPosted 9/26/2013 7:07:51 AM
goombatommy posted...
I still find a lot of this hypotheical and strange. So what about the people who have NO broadband or at best - very crappy broadband? How well does this fare for them?

It doesn't fare well to them.
---
MasterChief14: "Oh look. Somebody incapable of reason so they resort to petty taunts."
#5Exodus_PrimePosted 9/26/2013 7:09:42 AM
InBeforeYou'reInsaneTCstopDreamingAboutcloudsMArkCernyIsGod
---
Xbox One and PlayStation 4
Because I can buy both.
#6SinisterSlayPosted 9/26/2013 7:09:54 AM
nVidia proved it can be done. They even made a demo of it.

Sadly, all the consoles use AMD parts.

And extra sadly, it was extremely uneconomical as it requires a PC that exceeds the cost of the console and they need one per player
That's excessive.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#7ElPolloDiablo87Posted 9/26/2013 7:12:26 AM
I just don't understand how people think it won't improve graphics. Any computational load you can take off of the actual Xbox console frees up resources to work on other things, which could lead to improved graphics.
---
Madre de Dios, es El Pollo Diablo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28WrhpTzQA
#8MrImpatient35(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 7:17:06 AM
ElPolloDiablo87 posted...
I just don't understand how people think it won't improve graphics. Any computational load you can take off of the actual Xbox console frees up resources to work on other things, which could lead to improved graphics.

Oh ok. I read a few of the comments in that article, and some guys were saying that too. I guess it makes sense to me now. I wholeheartedly believe that it will help offload AI stuff, so it makes sense now.
---
Dost thou even hoist?
Dead Rising 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 are already a done deal!
#9LICKWIDPAlNPosted 9/26/2013 7:20:19 AM(edited)

No one is saying it CAN'T be done. It just can't be done at the scope they intend to use with the current infrastructure. Too much lag and ping times. Not everyone one has 50 down 5 up so as of now, it is BS marketing.
---
PS3 / Vita / 2600K@4.7Ghz water cooled by Corsair H80, Dual GTX580s in SLi, 8 Gigs Corsair RAM, 120Hz screen. Vsync? I don't need no Vsync!
#10SinisterSlayPosted 9/26/2013 7:19:44 AM
LICKWIDPAlN posted...

No one is saying it CAN'T be done. It just can't be done with the current infrastructure. Too much lag and ping times. Not everyone one has 50 down 5 up so as of now, it is BS marketing.

nVidia showed that even up to 250ms, the effect was still believable, it didn't appear to badly lagged.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence