Anybody else think 60fps looks weird?

#1GuillermoGagePosted 9/26/2013 8:10:36 AM
Yesterday, I downloaded a 60fps 17-minute trailer for a game I was not generally interested in, Battlefield 4, via a Eurogamer link because YouTube can't do 60fps.

Without doing a prior comparison, I immediately noticed an obvious blatant difference. But the motions, while smoother, just look too fluidy. Apparently real life is supposed to be closer to 60fps, so this is supposed to be better for gaming, because apparently this is useful when you are actually playing a game apparently. Except that I am not a competitive shooter game person.

Movies are done at no more than 30fps, and games with all their interactive nature look more comfortable in 30fps.
#2Ch3wyPosted 9/26/2013 8:12:46 AM
No man that makes no sense.

And real life has nothing to do with frames.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#3BadLuckIncPosted 9/26/2013 8:14:01 AM
I think it looks great, and is one reason I'm very excited to play BF4 on my X1 come this November =)
---
Xbox One Day 1 edition Pre-Ordered via Amazon~
Xbox 360: Bad Luck Ink ~]=|~ Wii U NNID: BadLuckInk
#4Wii_UsedPosted 9/26/2013 8:18:26 AM
Play Rayman Legends for a fantastic example of 60fps, smooth beauty.
---
"It's like getting into a car and trying to go in the quarter mile 5 seconds. That's for me strange."
#5Reflex-ArcPosted 9/26/2013 8:21:36 AM
It (high frame rates looking strange) depends on the content. Live action looks weird to me in HFR. The Hobbit in the theater was so distractingly odd looking to me that it was almost unwatchable. Games, on the other hand, are amazing with a high frame rate.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#6reincarnator07Posted 9/26/2013 8:33:32 AM
That's because you're so used to 30fps (or lower). Once you get used to it, going back to 30 looks like a stuttery mess. As for why it's better, you get a new frame every ~16ms instead of ~33ms. You get better feedback on what's going on and your actions get registered a bit quicker, which makes controls feel more responsive. That split second can be the difference between killing and dying in a fast paced game.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#7GuillermoGage(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 8:44:10 AM
reincarnator07 posted...
That's because you're so used to 30fps (or lower). Once you get used to it, going back to 30 looks like a stuttery mess. As for why it's better, you get a new frame every ~16ms instead of ~33ms. You get better feedback on what's going on and your actions get registered a bit quicker, which makes controls feel more responsive. That split second can be the difference between killing and dying in a fast paced game.

How fast-paced are we talking? You talking elitist first-person shooter games? Or maybe the types of people who are really competitive about Super Smash Bros. (who want all the games to be like Melee)?
#8ElectricMolePosted 9/26/2013 8:52:29 AM
it does look weird for some games.

i still think 120hz looks reaaaally weird for tv shows with live actors.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://abload.de/img/metabanderasps45tuxx.gif
#9ErevilePosted 9/26/2013 8:58:59 AM
reincarnator07 posted...

Except everyone has that same "delay" in a competitive setting. So that's a wash.

For single player you're telling me you can't plan 33ms into the future? Very few games have anything that comes out of nowhere. Your general time to register and respond is rarely less than 2 seconds.
---
Tonight I will serenade you with the tortured screams of my lunatic soul.
PSN: Khoron
#10MeaglesVPosted 9/26/2013 9:01:12 AM
I don't know about games but I know had to turn off the motion blur assist thingy when watching Breaking Bad on Netflix. Looked like a daytime soap opera with it on.