Will the next generation of consoles be the final generation?

#11twiztidfreak6t9Posted 9/26/2013 3:20:47 PM
Let me just set my delorean to June 11th 2023 & I'll get back with you on that.......
---
AlienWare M14x R2 6111BK // Intel Core i5-3210M // 8 GB DDR3 RAM // 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive // 2GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForceGT 650M
#12METALINGUS5150Posted 9/26/2013 3:24:12 PM
MarvelFan848 posted...
nmaharg81 posted...
METALINGUS5150 posted...
RollnThunder213 posted...
Of consoles that process games locally? Maybe

I think we might get form factor type things like small cubes of Ouya size that streams games. That hardware will be around for a while.

that would be horrible.

I look at pandora and netflix and think its only a matter of times before games head in a similar direction.

Not sure I like the sound of that yet. We really don't have the infrastructure to rely so heavily on streaming and all-digital yet. Xbox One found that out the hard way.

Even if we DID have the infrastructure, that would STILL be horrible.
#13nmaharg81Posted 9/26/2013 3:24:42 PM
MarvelFan848 posted...
nmaharg81 posted...
METALINGUS5150 posted...
RollnThunder213 posted...
Of consoles that process games locally? Maybe

I think we might get form factor type things like small cubes of Ouya size that streams games. That hardware will be around for a while.

that would be horrible.

I look at pandora and netflix and think its only a matter of times before games head in a similar direction.

Not sure I like the sound of that yet. We really don't have the infrastructure to rely so heavily on streaming and all-digital yet. Xbox One found that out the hard way.

Personally I rather own what I buy, but the success of streaming in other media markets will dictate what gaming does. Not what I want personally.

I look at how badly Digital Downloads has killed retail on PC and can't help but seeing consoles trying to emulate this success.
#14coltsfan4ever31Posted 9/26/2013 3:25:07 PM
There will be another generation of consoles. But I think this will be the last gen that uses physical media.
---
---"If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score?"-Vince Lombardi
#15jamieyelloPosted 9/26/2013 3:33:10 PM
Yes. Wii U PS4 & Xbox One FOREVAR.

Lolno. Do you think our grandchildren will really be playing on these systems? Maybe 10-15 years down the road but forever? No. And no it does not surprise me that EA said this. XD
---
#16MarvelFan848(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 3:33:55 PM
I totally enjoy owning physical copies as well. I've been fighting the digital push as hard as possible. I still buy blu rays and hard copies of games. But I'm admittedly a collector and probably not in the same boat as the majority looking for simple convenience.
---
Courtesy, your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man
#17reincarnator07Posted 9/26/2013 3:49:47 PM
That depends how fast the internet infrastructure improves. Services like Onlive and Gaikai are the future, it's just unknown how far in the future that is. Not that I'm much of a fan of such a future though.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#18MarvelFan848(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2013 6:34:20 PM
jamieyello posted...
Do you think our grandchildren will really be playing on these systems? Maybe 10-15 years down the road but forever? No. And no it does not surprise me that EA said this. XD

If Sony and Microsoft actually commit to software updates and hardware upgrades rather than developing new consoles post next-gen, then yeah. But obviously hardware will continue to evolve. The only question is when the next leap in technology will come without breaking the bank for consumers. It's going to be a long while before we're ready for another drastic leap that will merit successors to these consoles that remains cost effective.

Minor graphical and performance improvements aside, I don't think it's going to get much better than what next-gen consoles are packing anytime soon.
---
Courtesy, your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man
#19slyman19Posted 9/26/2013 6:58:26 PM
I would say yes for Nintendo, maybe for Microsoft, and a no for Sony.
#20True_FoeHammerPosted 9/26/2013 7:12:33 PM
This generation should be the last, not the next, if Microsoft isn't lying out their *******s about the cloud being able to bring limitless power to (very) limited hardware.