Well that rumor around the Xbox One / AMD collaboration took a weird turn...

#1Foxx3kPosted 9/26/2013 11:52:29 PM
AMD's conference was this morning and it looks like the major reveal is a new low-level API called "Mantle." One of the speculated benefits, per AnandTech, is that this could make it easier to port from Xbox One to PC and maintain a high degree of optimization (ie - approaching console level optimization).

This could have some interesting ramifications, I think. On one hand, it could lead to more Xbox One exclusives cross-appearing on the PC. On the other hand, this could mean that more developers will treat the Xbox One as the lead development platform.

Of course, I think a lot remains to be seen. Especially since as Eurogamer notes, a certain competitor is using extremely similar AMD hardware.

One of the first games using Mantle will be Battlefield 4. I wonder if this has any ties to the rumors / half-truths / dev-talk about Battlefield 4 running at 1080p60 on the Xbox One back at E3. Although, this might not be right because it sounds like "Mantle" support won't be ready for the PC version of Battlefield 4 until after launch, so I have to question how much this affected the console development.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7371/understanding-amds-mantle-a-lowlevel-graphics-api-for-gcn

Really interesting stuff. I'm excited to see what this does to the industry.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#2Spetsnaz420Posted 9/26/2013 11:59:18 PM
Chances are the lead console people will develop for will be the easiest platform to work with...that's why it was 360 last gej
---
I don't conform to social convention
#3BrokenIcarusPosted 9/27/2013 12:06:21 AM
That's how it'd be if DX remains the dominant graphics api, however mantle is a low level api that works on the AMD GCN architechture so it's pretty similar to what both Sony and Ms are doing with their new consoles.

It will allow developers to use a very similar code base on three platforms.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-could-amd-mantle-revolutionise-pc-gaming
#4METALINGUS5150Posted 9/27/2013 12:21:35 AM
So one site thinks it's similar to the PS4 API and another site thinks it's similar to the Xbone API.
lol
#5Cowboy082288Posted 9/27/2013 12:31:33 AM
Foxx3k posted...
AMD's conference was this morning and it looks like the major reveal is a new low-level API called "Mantle." One of the speculated benefits, per AnandTech, is that this could make it easier to port from Xbox One to PC and maintain a high degree of optimization (ie - approaching console level optimization).

This could have some interesting ramifications, I think. On one hand, it could lead to more Xbox One exclusives cross-appearing on the PC. On the other hand, this could mean that more developers will treat the Xbox One as the lead development platform.

Of course, I think a lot remains to be seen. Especially since as Eurogamer notes, a certain competitor is using extremely similar AMD hardware.

One of the first games using Mantle will be Battlefield 4. I wonder if this has any ties to the rumors / half-truths / dev-talk about Battlefield 4 running at 1080p60 on the Xbox One back at E3. Although, this might not be right because it sounds like "Mantle" support won't be ready for the PC version of Battlefield 4 until after launch, so I have to question how much this affected the console development.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7371/understanding-amds-mantle-a-lowlevel-graphics-api-for-gcn

Really interesting stuff. I'm excited to see what this does to the industry.

Really cool sounding stuff. OpenGl and directX have certain level of abstraction that this seems to attempt to mitigate.

That being said I want to see it in use before saying it's a success. The main reason for the abstraction is the ease of development. I mean sure, if done in all assembly or even worse binary, it is theoretically better but that is unrealistic.

Basically I want to see the functionality of it.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam - cowboyoni
#6BrokenIcarusPosted 9/27/2013 3:34:09 AM
METALINGUS5150 posted...
So one site thinks it's similar to the PS4 API and another site thinks it's similar to the Xbone API.
lol

Well given how similar both systems are this is hardly a surprise right?
#7AwayFromHerePosted 9/27/2013 3:37:45 AM
And people who don't develop the games care, why?
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#8coltsfan4ever31Posted 9/27/2013 4:46:40 AM
As long as games run smoothly on both consoles there's no reason to worry. And I still can't believe some people thought AMD and Microsoft were holding some secret info on more power for the One.smh
---
---"If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score?"-Vince Lombardi
#9SolisPosted 9/27/2013 5:57:05 AM
While I can see this helping with optimization, it obviously won't really allow for ports to happen that previously couldn't since they would still need to be able to support non-AMD hardware on PCs. As mentioned, this would be more beneficial for something like the Steambox which has a more consistent hardware structure. Come to think of it, this might actually help with emulation and the like as well since PC GPUs could more directly and accurately run console level code with it.

I'm really curious about the actual performance advantage this would offer though. I wonder if there will be a way to manually enable/disable it for Battlefield 4 so we can get an idea of how it stacks up. I've heard a lot of people state how big of an overhead there is with PC APIs, yet for the most part PC performance with GPUs equivalent to consoles has been pretty similar.

METALINGUS5150 posted...
lol

Both allow low level API access, so they're technically both correct, the only difference is the execution of it which doesn't really matter as it would basically be different roads to the same place. Heck, even the original Xbox allowed for some pretty direct GPU access.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#10sworderPosted 9/27/2013 5:59:58 AM
This does absolutely nothing but limit the industry if they develop for the lowest common denominator. What is there to be excited about?