Xbox Fitness Combines Top Workout Programs With Kinect

#1Dev445Posted 9/27/2013 8:08:25 AM
by Mike Futter

Microsoft has announced a new service for Xbox One called Xbox Fitness. The feature will bring top exercise programs to the Xbox One, including P90X, Insanity, Jillian Michaels, and others.

The hook is that the fitness programs will use the Kinect sensor to measure heart rate, muscle use, and workout intensity. Furthermore, the program will use your past workout history to recommend the right program for you.

The Xbox Fitness Pass will be free through December 2014 with an Xbox Live Gold membership. No other pricing information is available yet.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/09/27/xbox-fitness-combines-top-workout-programs-with-kinect--.aspx
---
"You all say you want to be human, but why would you want to become something so flawed" - Edward Elric - FullMetal Alchemist
#2shads3055Posted 9/27/2013 8:40:36 AM
looked amazing but I don't have the room to jump around and use Kinect like that
#3RybalPosted 9/27/2013 9:18:28 AM
Honestly, this might be one of the better uses of Kinect.
---
Brand loyalty is most evident in Apple acolytes - the Applytes - that most rabid of fan bases who will buy a brand new device with every minor upgrade
#4MrImpatient35Posted 9/27/2013 9:26:14 AM
I knew this would happen sooner or later. Since I found out that every X1 comes with Kinect, I knew a fitness game/app was inevitable. That's partly why I want the console. I'm excited about this. I always wanted to have a "trainer", but didn't wanna pay for it :P. I'll try it out free for the first year, and if I like it, I'll prolly pay if the price is right. I'm also happy they have Tony Horton. I like P90X, but think it costs way too much.
---
Dost thou even hoist?
Dead Rising 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 are already a done deal!
#5Viet0nePosted 9/27/2013 9:50:09 AM
These fitness games/apps will never catch on because the percentage of people who are successful is significantly lower.

Only a small minority of people have the mindset and willpower to workout at home. I personally have lost over 100lbs through two iterations of P90X and went from barely being able to do half a pull up to doing more than 10 strict pullups consecutively. That was combined with 500+ miles a month on a bicycle and 50+ miles a month running. This year I was doing 800-1000 miles a month on a bicycle training for the 200 mile one day Seattle to Portland Bicycle ride.

Can anyone do it? Sure, everyone has the ability to do it. Will anyone do it? Maybe, because being at home does not create a mind set for working out.

Few people actually get results from fitness video games. It's too easy to quit and there isn't any punishment for doing so.

Stuff like Xbox Fitness will be nice tools to have, but if you haven't already started working out and put yourself in the mind set to be more active to become fit, a video game isn't going to do it. You would lose a lot more weight and become more fit by simply spending the 30-60 minutes you would attempt at Xbox Fitness and just go walk, jog, skate, ride a bicycle, etc.
---
Currently Playing: Civ5
PSN/XBL : VietOne
#6drclaeysPosted 9/27/2013 10:02:56 AM
Friends,

We have a finesse game for our ps3 with the Move. Get FiT with Mel B.

This is the most used Move game that we ever played. It did ok, not super, but ok.

At lease mel B of the spice girls is hot, if you have to stare at someone on the screen.

but these type of games do take alot of space. AND alot of light. We tried it in our basement, and it does not work down there.

I think this is a plus for the Xbone. Thank you for sharing.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan
Now playing: Oblivion, Dragons Dogma: DA PSN: DrClaeys | Vica | 125 Mage
#7HiddenRoarPosted 9/27/2013 10:06:27 AM
Becoming more of a dudebro console everyday.
#8EllesarienPosted 9/27/2013 10:09:54 AM
HiddenRoar posted...

Hey if dudebro = being in shape....Bring on the label.

I'll leave you to your fat, lazy, sloth-like existence chubby.
---
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.
#9BudWisenheimerPosted 9/27/2013 10:26:10 AM
Viet0ne posted...
These fitness games/apps will never catch on because the percentage of people who are successful is significantly lower.

Only a small minority of people have the mindset and willpower to workout at home. I personally have lost over 100lbs through two iterations of P90X and went from barely being able to do half a pull up to doing more than 10 strict pullups consecutively. That was combined with 500+ miles a month on a bicycle and 50+ miles a month running. This year I was doing 800-1000 miles a month on a bicycle training for the 200 mile one day Seattle to Portland Bicycle ride.

Can anyone do it? Sure, everyone has the ability to do it. Will anyone do it? Maybe, because being at home does not create a mind set for working out.

Few people actually get results from fitness video games. It's too easy to quit and there isn't any punishment for doing so.

Stuff like Xbox Fitness will be nice tools to have, but if you haven't already started working out and put yourself in the mind set to be more active to become fit, a video game isn't going to do it. You would lose a lot more weight and become more fit by simply spending the 30-60 minutes you would attempt at Xbox Fitness and just go walk, jog, skate, ride a bicycle, etc.

I'm not sure why you think a P90X or Insanity video game is any less motivational than a P90X or Insanity video workout (especially when it will be right there on the console for a year with the Golden paywall). Or less effective than a handful of paragraphs on a gaming message board that suggests people would be better off going outside and motivating themselves to exercise. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point but it seems like you might be ignoring the competitive nature of some gamers who would like to stay/get in shape and how a video game interface might feed into their interests and habits. Especially when the entire console and home theater and fitness app is simply voice-activated.

On the other hand there are some lazy MFs among us in this world.
#10HiddenRoarPosted 9/27/2013 5:03:36 PM
Ellesarien posted...
HiddenRoar posted...

Hey if dudebro = being in shape....Bring on the label.

I'll leave you to your fat, lazy, sloth-like existence chubby.

If I was what you just described, I wouldn't have been able to even get past MEPS, let alone left the recruitment office with a MOS.

But look where we are. Some nobody on the internet arguing with another nobody who at least served his time in the Army.