Lossless audio in next gen

#1SpillboyPosted 9/27/2013 10:22:48 AM
I see a lot of people discussing the frame rate and resolution of games but not much talk over the audio quality of games. I was truly looking forward to lossless audio options (DTS HD master audio / Dolby TrueHD) on the next gen consoles.

Maybe too many people have headphones or use their tv speakers to listen to their games to make it worthwhile? I am sure the adaption rate of HD VS higher quality audio was greater. To me audio is just as important if not more important to the experience or movies and games. I kinda see a small resurgence of audiophiles even if it is just because high end headphones are a trend now. Next step is quality home theater equipment.

Graphics will improve as developers get more familiar with the consoles but I don't see audio improving.

Any thoughts?
#2lilj812Posted 9/27/2013 10:24:37 AM
I use tv speakers..
---
"World's best heel and you don't even know it"
#3Sniper_BrosefPosted 9/27/2013 10:25:18 AM
lilj812 posted...
I use tv speakers..

On a Dynex tv.
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#4regsantotomasPosted 9/27/2013 10:26:21 AM
Spillboy posted...
I see a lot of people discussing the frame rate and resolution of games but not much talk over the audio quality of games. I was truly looking forward to lossless audio options (DTS HD master audio / Dolby TrueHD) on the next gen consoles.

Maybe too many people have headphones or use their tv speakers to listen to their games to make it worthwhile? I am sure the adaption rate of HD VS higher quality audio was greater. To me audio is just as important if not more important to the experience or movies and games. I kinda see a small resurgence of audiophiles even if it is just because high end headphones are a trend now. Next step is quality home theater equipment.

Graphics will improve as developers get more familiar with the consoles but I don't see audio improving.

Any thoughts?

I have found that most people don't care all that much about audio fidelity unfortunately.

I agree with you that audio plays an enormous role in the immersion and experience.

I haven't read any news about how the source audio tracks are mastered for next gen.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#5Ch3wyPosted 9/27/2013 10:28:18 AM
Since everything is moving over to bluray it might get better since they have more room.

That's really something completely dependent on the developer though, it's not like last gen was incapable of having good sound quality.

The quality of the sound effects being used is a million times more important than a little bit of lossy compression either way.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#6faris_ruhiPosted 9/27/2013 10:34:37 AM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
lilj812 posted...
I use tv speakers..

On a Dynex tv.

With duct tape on top.
---
PSN: SYRAPH , GT: TheRealSyraph
Going through backlog by release date (almost), Current game: Batman: Arkham Asylum, Next up: Mini Ninjas
#7Hucast9Posted 9/27/2013 10:39:22 AM
Ch3wy posted...
Since everything is moving over to bluray it might get better since they have more room.

That's really something completely dependent on the developer though, it's not like last gen was incapable of having good sound quality.

The quality of the sound effects being used is a million times more important than a little bit of lossy compression either way.

As ar as I know, last gen (Xbox 360 and PS3) had no games that supported Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master audio. In the 360's case it's not possible due to dvd limitatons. In the PS3's case, it may be a design limitation with the audio chip.

Hopefully next gen will bring Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master audio into games. I'm really looking forward to playing a Mass Effect or Star Wars game with lossless audio.
#8Hucast9Posted 9/27/2013 10:42:23 AM
faris_ruhi posted...
Sniper_Brosef posted...
lilj812 posted...
I use tv speakers..

On a Dynex tv.

With duct tape on top.

Dynex is not so bad. I wouldn't actually recommend it, but I use one and it works fine. Aside from some slight motion blur (which is also going to happen on your precious expensive tv that costs 3 times as much due to how lcd tech works) it's not so bad.
#9Ch3wyPosted 9/27/2013 10:52:29 AM
Hucast9 posted...
Ch3wy posted...

As ar as I know, last gen (Xbox 360 and PS3) had no games that supported Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master audio. In the 360's case it's not possible due to dvd limitatons. In the PS3's case, it may be a design limitation with the audio chip.

Hopefully next gen will bring Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master audio into games. I'm really looking forward to playing a Mass Effect or Star Wars game with lossless audio.

It's not like DTS and Dolby True HD are the only way to have lossless audio. PCM sounds exactly the same.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#10XBOXvsPCPosted 9/27/2013 10:53:46 AM
Here's my thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YfEUVjGq80