Lossless audio in next gen

#21Reflex-ArcPosted 9/27/2013 1:40:02 PM
Spillboy posted...
Reflex-Arc posted...
I've read that the audio processing on the XBO is so great that, when paired with a nice sound system, the startup sound (comparable only to the voices of angels) will hit tones so low that it may cause you to soil yourself.

I actually miss the old bassy xbox 360 startup sound. Had more of a "BWONG!" noise and less airy.

It seems that there are a good amount of people that care about sound quality. I hope that it is possible and probable that some form of highfi audio will be used in games this generation. If people want it, they will make it.

That being said, I have heard some very good sounding games this generation and look forward to hearing the next gen stuff, compressed or not.

My joking response aside, I do agree with you.

I've spent the last few years and a few bucks piecing together a hodgepodge Denon/Martin Logan/Polk 7.1 setup in my living room for movies and games. While it might not be super high end, it sure does its job well. Even the current low end sweep on the 360 startup makes my sub rattle the pictures on my wall and it puts a smile on my face every time. Of the current consoles, though, I've got to give the nod to the PS3. Sony has some great audio in their first party games especially.

BudWisenheimer posted...
Spillboy posted...
Maybe too many people have headphones or use their tv speakers to listen to their games to make it worthwhile?

I've been playing with 5.1 for several years and occasionally play on a 7.1 system. But I have to admit that 2004 Astound Sound Youtube demonstration on headphones still stuns me.

I'll have to look that up. Thanks for the recommendation! :)
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#22Spillboy(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 2:54:49 PM
Reflex-Arc posted...
Spillboy posted...
Reflex-Arc posted...
I've read that the audio processing on the XBO is so great that, when paired with a nice sound system, the startup sound (comparable only to the voices of angels) will hit tones so low that it may cause you to soil yourself.

I actually miss the old bassy xbox 360 startup sound. Had more of a "BWONG!" noise and less airy.

It seems that there are a good amount of people that care about sound quality. I hope that it is possible and probable that some form of highfi audio will be used in games this generation. If people want it, they will make it.

That being said, I have heard some very good sounding games this generation and look forward to hearing the next gen stuff, compressed or not.

My joking response aside, I do agree with you.

I've spent the last few years and a few bucks piecing together a hodgepodge Denon/Martin Logan/Polk 7.1 setup in my living room for movies and games. While it might not be super high end, it sure does its job well. Even the current low end sweep on the 360 startup makes my sub rattle the pictures on my wall and it puts a smile on my face every time. Of the current consoles, though, I've got to give the nod to the PS3. Sony has some great audio in their first party games especially.

BudWisenheimer posted...
Spillboy posted...
Maybe too many people have headphones or use their tv speakers to listen to their games to make it worthwhile?

I've been playing with 5.1 for several years and occasionally play on a 7.1 system. But I have to admit that 2004 Astound Sound Youtube demonstration on headphones still stuns me.

About 3 years ago I bought my first house and allotted a good size chunk of savings to a new system. Did a Denon AVR 4310CI and definitive tech BP 7002 towers for fronts and rears with the matching center channel. No need for a separate sub, each tower has a powered 12" sub. I keep them dialed back and corrected through the receiver and it still gives me heart palpitations! My advice is to try to keep all the speakers to one brand to keep them tonally accurate (not as important for the sub). Martin Logan is great but a little bright. Nothing a good sub can't hurt.

I also say get the new receiver last as they advance faster than speaker tech does.

Also, does anyone have a link to that YouTube video?
#23BudWisenheimerPosted 9/27/2013 3:02:01 PM(edited)
Reflex-Arc posted...
BudWisenheimer posted...
Spillboy posted...

Spillboy posted...
Also, does anyone have a link to that YouTube video?

Put on some headphones. Close your eyes. And when you get to the newspaper sounds about 3:20 into the audio ... make sure you don't have anyone watching you or any objects nearby that you can knock over with your hands or elbows:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nKnhcsRTNME
#24Reflex-ArcPosted 9/27/2013 3:38:53 PM(edited)
Spillboy posted...

About 3 years ago I bought my first house and allotted a good size chunk of savings to a new system. Did a Denon AVR 4310CI and definitive tech BP 7002 towers for fronts and rears with the matching center channel. No need for a separate sub, each tower has a powered 12" sub. I keep them dialed back and corrected through the receiver and it still gives me heart palpitations! My advice is to try to keep all the speakers to one brand to keep them tonally accurate (not as important for the sub). Martin Logan is great but a little bright. Nothing a good sub can't hurt.

I also say get the new receiver last as they advance faster than speaker tech does.

The receiver was the most recent addition, last years 2313ci. It drives the matched Polks (...I know, I know. What can I say, they sounded good for the money...) quite well. The odd man out is the ML sub, an older discontinued model that I picked up from a buddy on the cheap. It's still hitting pretty hard when it needs to, and blends surprisingly well with the rest of the setup.

I do enjoy the sound of the Def Tech gear. I had an old Yamaha hooked up to a pair of DT sattelites and a sub in the game room of my old house. Nice well rounded sound in that room for such a small footprint. I'd have to imagine the towers must be the classic definition of awesome. :)

BudWisenheimer posted...

Put on some headphones. Close your eyes. And when you get to the newspaper sounds about 3:20 into the audio ... make sure you don't have anyone watching you or any objects nearby that you can knock over with your hands or elbows:

I picked up a set of closed back Sennheiser studio headphones a while back to use at my PC, and they're just getting to the broken in point and sounding pretty nice. Looking forward to this. Thanks again!
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#25BudWisenheimerPosted 9/27/2013 4:22:47 PM(edited)
^ BTW make sure to set the video for high quality. I got my lady to do this recently with the new Apple earpods and just a wifi connection from her phone. The results were hilarious.
#26Spillboy(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 4:13:43 PM
Those are great headphones. Polk audio is good enough. The Martian Logan sub is probably very good.

Thanks for the link
#27Reflex-ArcPosted 9/27/2013 5:02:46 PM
BudWisenheimer posted...

Whoa.

This was really amazing. You could practically feel the newspaper crinkling on your head. Holey moley.

I recommend everyone listen to this in high quality.
---
#28ImThe8thWonderPosted 9/27/2013 5:39:06 PM
I'm right there with ya, TC. I'll probably get more use out of my expensive audio equipment when it comes to next gen games.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J7CULOL8hXo
#29CapwnDPosted 9/27/2013 6:43:28 PM
This is a good link for people that mock "surround sound" headphones.

Did anybody else listen to the videos of the hair cuts and makeup? Yikes, those girls are creepy.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#30AdmiralBisonPosted 9/28/2013 4:09:44 AM
I use an 11.4 surround sound home theatre. Both front height and front wide set up with 4 powered subwoofers
2 x receivers
Onkyo tx-nr5010
Pioneer VSX-1020
PSB alpha b1 satellite speakers and towers speakers
Using an MGE ups system.

I've made a thread about next gen sound capabilities in the PS4 forum but just as we'll not much is really discussed about it if it will support lossless, Dobly true HD, Atmos, DT Neo x and such though I expect the PS4 will come out with better audio and sound support then the XboxOne.

TC, I advise going to AVSforums. They have recently started reviewing games and put a lot of focus on the sound/audio side go gaming since it is a website dedicated to Audio and Video tech.
---
If delusions and Illusions are an en-escapable part of our entire lives, why not just pick a positive one?