If Microsoft handled its PR better, would you have had a more positive outlook?

#21horror_spookyPosted 9/28/2013 9:12:45 AM
Eoin posted...
Microsoft's horrific PR was enough of a shock that they actually went and fixed many of the underlying issues. The result is a better console with a better business model.

If we assume that the PR issues were actually separate to the horrible business model (which may not be true: it's easy to imagine that much of the bad PR came from people trying to sell a fundamentally hideous, viciously anti-consumer set of concepts), then it's probably better for Microsoft that they had those issues, and were forced to examine the flaws in their business model. Imagine that they had told us nothing about how they intended to handle used games, skilfully deflecting any questions about that, just showing the games and the controller and the machine, and then given details a week or so before launch. It would have been a catastrophe.

They still have severe PR issues though. Several Microsoft employees - including Penello - appear to have the attitude that gamers "weren't ready" for what Microsoft were doing, or (slightly more humbly, but no less worrying) that Microsoft simply failed to sell a fundamentally good idea. This needs to stop. They need to realise that there was an almost-universal rejection of what they were trying to do, and that it wasn't because gamers didn't understand it, weren't ready for it, or that they failed to get the message across properly. They tried something broken and stupid. All credit to them - they mostly fixed it. That doesn't entitle them to pretend that it was clever.

Those aren't PR issues, unless you're meaning literally "how they are relating to the public" as opposed to the actual practice of PR, which most people are talking about

source:
PR major
---
Just when they think they got the answers, I change the questions..
www.cheatmasters.com
#22chrisromans123Posted 9/28/2013 9:34:24 AM
I don't know if I would have. I had RROD on my first xbox then a slim model just stopped working so personally I am a bit leery at buying an X1 at launch.
---
XDAO Romans
#23horror_spookyPosted 9/29/2013 12:36:55 PM
RROD

honestly forgot that happened, despite losing 2-3 Xbox 360s to it
---
www.cheatmasters.com
#24HENTAIDOJIPosted 9/29/2013 12:41:11 PM
MS have been honest and upfront about everything.

Sadly the few ponies with the loudest voices spread lies.
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#25AlexPumaPosted 9/29/2013 12:47:30 PM
whitelytning posted...
BiggyDX posted...
79/80

Stopped reading here.

---
http://www.gaming-unleashed.com/
"Oh I can handle any load that comes my way....." - Savott
#26mike468Posted 9/29/2013 1:14:05 PM(edited)
HENTAIDOJI posted...

Yep. Just like the anti-government movement. They twist stuff and start throwing out hypothetical scenarios of something that hasn't even happened yet, creating this whole overblown backlash. A lot of MS gamers had no problem with the original policies. Even the problems that where legitimate, I could have easily seen being worked out from developer push-back and not staying in place for long. Just like with World of Tanks and indie game development.

Just look at the family share plan, now XBO gamers have to wait because the stupid backlash from people who where going to buy the system in the first place. They went and ruined the expereince for everyone who was going to be buying the system.

I think gamers who understand it, don't have a problem, but I will admit that MS's PR is horrendous at getting it's message out to the general gaming community. They're nothing but suits, most of them come across as not understanding what they are selling and it just perpetuates the gaming communities view that MS is a money grubbing company (all of them are regardless)

The reason why the Original Xbox and the Xbox 360 did so well was because MS had people like Bill Gates and Jay Allard who where great at explaining a lot of the technical stuff with these consoles to every day consumers, in a way that they understand. This year they have been terrible at it.
---
The Official Thunder Of The Killer Instinct Board
#27horror_spookyPosted 9/29/2013 9:59:39 PM
what technical stuff were they even attempting to relay to the public?
---
www.cheatmasters.com
#28iSkadooshPosted 9/30/2013 4:33:19 AM
Nope. PR aside it's still a weaker console with a higher price due to a peripheral I have no interest in.
---
Not upset at all, just annoyed that there's absolutely no point in people like you to be on these boards other than to troll your little hearts out. - triple s
#29NerdimusPrimePosted 9/30/2013 4:41:01 AM
HENTAIDOJI posted...

Gamers did not want required online check ins or asinine DRM policies. Many still do not want to pay for Kinect ( but thankfully there is an option to use the console without it now). It has nothing to do with allegiance and everything to do with bad business. The most vocal critics weren't haters, they were enraged 360 owners, people who fully expected MS to make a gaming console they would like instead of this TV watercooler Adbox that also can play games.
---
Troll logic: say something utterly moronic and when someone takes the time to point out your stupidity, you win!
#30SparkItUpPosted 9/30/2013 4:45:32 AM
kesah posted...
The only thing I disliked was that Kinect was required, I don't care about their DRM or any of the other stuff. Of course, I'm still waiting for a Kinect-free version before I purchase one, I don't see a point in paying a 100$ premium for something I would never take out of the box.

---
http://youtu.be/Mke9EHMQMYI
Did you stand to close to the fire, like a liar looking for forgiveness from a stone...