Asymmetrical analogue sticks

#1VanderZooPosted 9/27/2013 7:29:02 PM
MS is the only company that has asymmetrical analogue sticks. DS4 has symmetry, Wii U has symmetry, and the Steam pad has symmetry.

So, is everyone else wrong and MS is doing it right, or does MS know something the others don't?

I personally think asymmetry is better, but it's odd that the majority of controller makers disagree.
---
Man of Steel - 26.06.13
"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards"
#2Foxx3kPosted 9/27/2013 7:30:18 PM
I wonder if Microsoft has a patent on it.

Stupider things have been patented before.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#3SunDevil77Posted 9/27/2013 7:32:23 PM
Hm...the two controllers that are regularly considered the "best" (Gamecube/360) are asymmetrical.
---
The average lifespan of a raccoon is ~5 years.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#4VanderZoo(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2013 7:42:28 PM
Foxx3k posted...
I wonder if Microsoft has a patent on it.

Stupider things have been patented before.

They don't because Mark Cerny said they looked at having asymmetrical analogue sticks in the DS4 but decided symmetry was better.

"We made and tested a ridiculously broad style of controllers," Cerny told IGN, "and we would actually have people play games with them. And the current controller design came out of that. We did indeed conclude that the two joysticks on the same level works perfectly well. That did come out of our testing."

What's more, developers of first-person shooters also praised the new controller and wanted Sony to stick with the symmetrical layout.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/DualShock-4-Symmetrical-Analog-Sticks-Were-Praised-by-Gamers-and-Developers-384863.shtml
---
Man of Steel - 26.06.13
"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards"
#5squarex8264Posted 9/27/2013 7:42:44 PM
Asymmetrical makes sense to me, because it means by default your right thumb is resting on the face buttons to match your left thumb on the control stick.

The buttons have a much higher use-priority in many games (except FPS) compared to the right stick. So it makes sense to have the resting position of your thumb on the buttons.
---
Gamertag: Squ4rex
"You guys can sig that if you want." -TheArcade
#6DesperateMonkeyPosted 9/27/2013 7:55:59 PM
Well the Wii U has them both on the outside. The main issue is the left stick. The playstation controller was designed during a time when DPad was the main control method and analogs were supplementary or occasionally used. They never changed the design even though DPads are now mostly for inventory and hotkey purposes. Its not about the symmetry, its more about which controls should be more easily accessible since they are used more frequently. Right now, thats overwhelmingly the left analog.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#7True_FoeHammerPosted 9/27/2013 7:58:35 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
Hm...the two controllers that are regularly considered the "best" (Gamecube/360) are asymmetrical.

The Gamecube controller was an abomination, who the hell says that?
#8Reflex-ArcPosted 9/27/2013 8:01:25 PM
All I know is that asymmetrical feels more comfortable to me. That's why the 360 pad is my go-to for any game that requires a controller on PC, and is the driving choice in choosing which platform to buy a console game on. Does that make it better? No, but it's better for me.

I can use a Dualshock. I've been using one variation or another for years, but I don't like it. That being said, on some level I'm really looking forward to buying a PS4 and trying the latest iteration once some games I want to play hit the console.
---
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard
#9CapwnDPosted 9/27/2013 8:09:07 PM
All I know is I don't give a f**** if the stick is coming out of the topic creator's neck. If it feels good in my hands, I like it.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#10ImThe8thWonderPosted 9/27/2013 8:13:54 PM
I have yet to really see proof that the asymmetrical configuration is better than a symmetrical one. People claim the Xbox version is best because it is newer, and thus they say it was designed more ergonomically, but I personally don't feel a difference at all.

Other than the issue that thumbs may touch on a smaller symmetrical layout, I don't feel like my left thumb is more at rest when using the 360 controller. I always felt like the zone of ergonomic emphasis was always where the current dualshock analog stick layout happens to be. I think it makes most sense there since my thumbs are lower on my hand and don't have to stretch as much to reach an analog stick that closer instead of further away. Call me crazy, but I think Xbox's layout only exists because they didn't want to breach anyone else's patents.
---
All fanboys are equally terrible. Hypocrisy and double-standards are at every corner, nobody is a Saint.