Asymmetrical analogue sticks

#51ImThe8thWonderPosted 9/28/2013 5:40:39 PM
From the countless statements that the Xbox Original controller was designed for shooters and analog being the primary controller input rather than the DPad??????

So moving the movement stick higher up somehow has an affect on camera-based games like FPSs? The dualshock and the Xbox controller share the same placement of the camera stick. "Made with FPSs in mind" goes as far as any other marketing scheme to cater to certain groups. Also, it helps to actually post evidence for your claims. Where did microsoft specifically say that? Well, even if they did, as I said it matters very little.

However, its innate inefficiencies do not change despite your own proficiencies

Thanks for providing proof how the thing I am defending is inefficient. Next time you write a paragraph in argument, make sure you don't look over points that you should have proved first. Sony may have added in the analog sticks after making their original design, but there still is no proof that their layout is better or worse than an asymmetrical layout.
---
All fanboys are equally terrible. Hypocrisy and double-standards are at every corner, nobody is a Saint.
#52DesperateMonkeyPosted 9/28/2013 7:38:05 PM(edited)
ImThe8thWonder posted...
From the countless statements that the Xbox Original controller was designed for shooters and analog being the primary controller input rather than the DPad??????

So moving the movement stick higher up somehow has an affect on camera-based games like FPSs?

Wow, I don't know how you came up with this idiotic conclusion. It has almost nothing to do with what I said. Someone needs to go back to school and learn to read properly before trying their hand at actual discussions. I honestly don't know why you even bother quoting me.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#53Space_MariachiPosted 9/28/2013 8:04:35 PM
Wow, I don't know how you came up with this idiotic conclusion. It has almost nothing to do with what I said. Someone needs to go back to school and learn to read properly before trying their hand at actual discussions. I honestly don't know why you even bother quoting me.

well... that does sound like a desperate monkey...

=)
---
...traveling through time since 2021...
#54ImThe8thWonderPosted 9/28/2013 8:45:26 PM
DesperateMonkey posted...
ImThe8thWonder posted...

So moving the movement stick higher up somehow has an affect on camera-based games like FPSs?

Lmao nice little edit there. "There isn't enough rudeness is my comment...let me fix that."

Alright, to back up what I was going on about, you used an alleged Microsoft quote (that you still haven't shown a source for) that you think proves how the asymmetric layout is best. All I did was state how logically, there is nothing within that quote that proves the superiority of asymmetry. The camera stick is still the same within both layouts, so I fail to see how it has any benefit towards FPSs. Maybe they were simply talking about the trigger buttons.
---
All fanboys are equally terrible. Hypocrisy and double-standards are at every corner, nobody is a Saint.
#55DesperateMonkeyPosted 9/30/2013 12:56:45 PM
lol wtf was that? You are saying the the analog being in a better spot since its the primary method for movement is not true because of the RIGHT analog? What the hell is this?

Also, the right side is nothing like the left side. The DPad is by large just used for secondary purposes. The face buttons, however, are still just as important as the right analog. One has nothing to do with the other. There is quite a lot of evidence if you even bother to google anything regarding the PSX and Xbox line of controllers and how they were designed. I have no idea why we have to spoon feed you something so simple.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#56bob15xPosted 9/30/2013 1:04:08 PM
VanderZoo posted...
Foxx3k posted...
I wonder if Microsoft has a patent on it.

Stupider things have been patented before.

They don't because Mark Cerny said they looked at having asymmetrical analogue sticks in the DS4 but decided symmetry was better.

"We made and tested a ridiculously broad style of controllers," Cerny told IGN, "and we would actually have people play games with them. And the current controller design came out of that. We did indeed conclude that the two joysticks on the same level works perfectly well. That did come out of our testing."

What's more, developers of first-person shooters also praised the new controller and wanted Sony to stick with the symmetrical layout.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/DualShock-4-Symmetrical-Analog-Sticks-Were-Praised-by-Gamers-and-Developers-384863.shtml

It is too bad they just didnt offer both, that would have made me happy.

the 360 is by far the most comfortable gamepad I have ever held. Nothing even remotely comes close.
#57ImThe8thWonderPosted 9/30/2013 1:11:10 PM
lol wtf was that? You are saying the the analog being in a better spot since its the primary method for movement is not true because of the RIGHT analog? What the hell is this?

Also, the right side is nothing like the left side. The DPad is by large just used for secondary purposes. The face buttons, however, are still just as important as the right analog. One has nothing to do with the other. There is quite a lot of evidence if you even bother to google anything regarding the PSX and Xbox line of controllers and how they were designed. I have no idea why we have to spoon feed you something so simple.

And there he goes. Trying to squeeze your way through another corner by pretending I said something that I didn't. When you face defeat, you simply attempt to shift the emphasis of the argument onto something else within the same subject. Nice try. Xbox analog stick layout contributes nothing to FPS control. Grow up and tackle the argument at hand. Give me REAL PROOF that the Xbox layout is best for all game modes or gtfo of my face.
---
All fanboys are equally terrible. Hypocrisy and double-standards are at every corner, nobody is a saint.
#58bob15xPosted 9/30/2013 1:16:56 PM
ImThe8thWonder posted...

And there he goes. Trying to squeeze your way through another corner by pretending I said something that I didn't. When you face defeat, you simply attempt to shift the emphasis of the argument onto something else within the same subject. Nice try. Xbox analog stick layout contributes nothing to FPS control. Grow up and tackle the argument at hand. Give me REAL PROOF that the Xbox layout is best for all game modes or gtfo of my face.

it does when the design of the DS causes you to cramp up after playign for 10 minutes where 360 controller you can play for hours without cramping.
#59ImThe8thWonderPosted 9/30/2013 1:30:08 PM(edited)
bob15x posted...
it does when the design of the DS causes you to cramp up after playign for 10 minutes where 360 controller you can play for hours without cramping.

Dude, like I've said a million times by now, individual experiences are not concrete proof that most gamers experience the same thing. Is it bad for you? Could be. But is it bad for everyone? We won't even know until someone out there actually does research to find out. And I am mainly arguing the specific detail of analog stick placement. Your hands could be cramping for a variety of reasons, including size and shape.
---
All fanboys are equally terrible. Hypocrisy and double-standards are at every corner, nobody is a saint.
#60NerdimusPrimePosted 9/30/2013 1:29:18 PM
Who cares about layout when MS has such shoddy manufacturing practices? A decent design means nothing if the final product can't hold up to a the rigors of regular gaming. I haven't had a 360 controller go much over a year before severe analog walk, while I have DS1 and N64 controllers that have had far more mileage yet still play well.
---
Troll logic: say something utterly moronic and when someone takes the time to point out your stupidity, you win!