Microsoft should focus more on games rather than social media or entertainment.

#21ExempliGratiaPosted 9/29/2013 8:58:16 AM
kyncani posted...
The Xbox One focus on games is so bad that Microsoft tried to make online mandatory, forbid used games, forbid indies and force feed us the Kinect at a higher price than any other next gen console out there *before* even having any user base.

The Xbox One focus on games is so bad that when people complained they could not play offline games without being online, Microsoft told us to deal with it.

The Xbox One focus on games is so bad that Microsoft flip flopped on pretty much every single Xbox feature *before* the console even got out.

The Xbox One focus on games is so bad that Microsoft gave us one single Xbox Live game while Sony PS+ gave us more than a hundred of those at a lower price.

The Xbox One focus on games is so bad that all Sony had to do was to show up with just a game console last E3 to be met with thunderous applause.

That is how bad the Xbox One is with games.

I understand where you're going with your post but what does have to do with the fact they've showed games? They've showed a lot of games already. Even announcing Fable Legends as of recently (Meh Fable). You're just talking about policies.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag :ShottaSteveUrkel PSN: Hollaatmyfoot PSNvita: ExempliaGratia
#22kyncaniPosted 9/29/2013 9:05:42 AM
They've all shown games (thank $Deity for that).

But the Xbox One is clearly not focused on games, it is focused on having a media center and leverage it as much as possible to make bucks.

Nintendo is the complete opposite, their system is clearly focused on games and nothing else.

Sony is clearly focused on games with a couple of other features here and there but nothing crippling.
#23zephirrainesPosted 9/29/2013 9:48:39 AM
kyncani posted...
Should have focused on games.
Could have focused on games.
But didn't.

I agree that sony should focus less in facebook and playstation tv and more on games. MS know how to balance plenty of games and features.
#24zephirrainesPosted 9/29/2013 9:51:32 AM
L96A1BOSS posted...
EastCoastKody posted...
looks like they're focusing on everything.

Sony is the one that forgot to bring the games. Knack & Killzone? yay?

they spent all of e3 talking about their movie and music studios......while Microsoft smacked u w/ a bunch of exclusive launch titles.....TitanFall.....AND a Halo announcement

Yea Titanfall that will look and run better on my PC and a halo game that we have no idea if it's in development, you xbotx sure talk allot of crap.

So you are one of the minority of gamers that plays call of duty on your pc? Well have fun using a second rate service filled with hackers.

Oh and halo is a system seller, infamous is not. Infamous 2 sold less than dance central.
#25OkayPlayer1Posted 9/29/2013 9:57:56 AM
I would love for someone to explain to me how Xbox One's "lack of focus on games" will affect its ability to, you know, actually play games. Multiplatform games will look and play nearly identical just like current gen, and there may be a marginal difference in exclusives. Indie games are supported, 90% of games will be multiplat anyway, and as of now MS has announced more exclusive games. So again, how does this apparent lack of focus affect me putting the disc in and playing a game?
#26SoulTrapperPosted 9/29/2013 10:10:06 AM
OkayPlayer1 posted...
I would love for someone to explain to me how Xbox One's "lack of focus on games" will affect its ability to, you know, actually play games. Multiplatform games will look and play nearly identical just like current gen, and there may be a marginal difference in exclusives. Indie games are supported, 90% of games will be multiplat anyway, and as of now MS has announced more exclusive games. So again, how does this apparent lack of focus affect me putting the disc in and playing a game?

Because it's hardware isn't build for next gen gaming.

Multiplatform games will not look identical, as there is already a nice example of this right here:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09/29/xbox-one-retail-version-of-battlefield-4-will-still-run-at-720p-60-fps-ea-representative-confirms/

So if anything the xbox will be holding back the ps4 if they try to get multiplatform games to look the same.

Exclusives will look a lot better on ps4, this is simple logic by looking at the specs of each console.

Read this article:

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/eloj/blog/xbone-esram-gpu-performance-problems-rumors/101270/

Now, Microsoft was not building a gaming machine first. They wanted to load a familiar operating system on there. They wanted more focus on applications that historically have not been heavily optimized for one platform. A relatively fat OS, and applications from developers who are not used to the scant resources typically awarded a gaming console, leads to one design conclusion; "we need lots of memory!"

So they design for 8GB, from the start. Again, they put applications (and cost) above gaming, and go for a well known, cheap, plentiful technology in DDR3. Back then 8GB of GDDR5 would look too expensive, almost insane, and DDR4 wasn't on the immediate horizon.

To compensate the gaming side, they now need some fast RAM, hence 32MB eSRAM on-die. The XBone eSRAM is said to be a 6T type, meaning that each bit requires six transistors. 32MB gives us 32*1024*1024*8 bits times six equals 1,610,612,736 transistors. That's 1.6 billion, a huge chunk out of the total 5 billion!

They do desperately need this very fast cache-like memory to fix the fact that they're using "slow" DDR3, which they settled on because they wanted to have a lot of it, for apps -- not games.

It affects your wallet by having you paying $100 more for inferior tech and it affects the entire community by possibly holding back multiplat games from looking their best.
---
PSN: El_Coon
#27kyncaniPosted 9/29/2013 10:18:19 AM
OkayPlayer1 posted...

Like SoulTrapper said, the PS4 is more powerful, cheaper and has better exclusives but it shouldn't make that big of a difference IMO (it's not night and day). That is if you're offline.

If you're online though, the difference between a console made for games and the Xbox One is pretty staggering.

Here is the list of games you get with Xbox Live :

- Rainbow Six Vegas

And here is the list of games you get with PS+ (EU since June 2012) :

- Assassin's Creed III
- Batman: Arkham City
- Battlefield 3
- Big Sky Infinity
- Bioshock 2
- Borderlands
- Bulletstorm
- Catherine
- Chime Super Deluxe
- Chronovolt
- Coconut Dodge Revitalised
- Crysis 2
- Cubixx HD
- Darksiders
- Dead or Alive 5
- Dead Space 2
- Demon's Souls
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Double Dragon Neon
- Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
- F1 Race Stars
- Far Cry 3
- Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
- God of War
- Gravity Rush
- Guardians of Middle Earth
- Hamsterball
- Hell yeah! Wrath of Dead Rabbit
- Hitman Absolution
- inFamous 2
- Jet Set Radio HD
- Joe Danger 2
- Just Cause 2
- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
- Knytt Underground
- Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light
- Lego Lord of the Rings
- Limbo
- LittleBigPlanet 2
- LittleBigPlanet Karting
- Lord of the Rings: War in the North
- Lumines: Electronic Symphony
- Machinarium
- Mafia 2
- Magic Orbz
- Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom
- Malicious
- Mass Effect 3
- Metal Gear Solid HD Collection: MGS2
- Metal Gear Solid HD Collection: MGS3
- Mortal Kombat
- Motorstorm Apocalypse
- Mushroom Wars
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted
- New Little King's Story
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
- Oddworld: Strangerís Wrath HD
- Okami HD
- Outland
- Payday: The Heist
- Pinball Arcade
- Puddle
- Quantum Conundrum
- Ratchet and Clank All 4 One
- Rayman Origins
- Red Dead Redemption
- Renegade Ops
- Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition
- Retro/Grade
- Ricochet HD
- Rock of Ages
- Saints Row the Third
- Scott Pilgrim Vs The World
- Sine Mora
- Sky Fighter
- Sleeping Dogs
- Smash Cars
- Spec Ops: The Line
- Starhawk
- Stealth Inc.: A Clone in the Dark
- Street Fighter X Tekken
- Super Stardust HD
- Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
- Team ICO Collection: ICO
- Team ICO Collection: Shadow of the Colossus
- The Cave
- The Jak and Daxter Trilogy: Jak 3 HD
- The Jak and Daxter Trilogy: Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy HD
- The Jak and Daxter Trilogy: Jak II HD
- Thomas Was Alone
- Touch My Katamari
- Uncharted 3 Drakeís Deception
- Uncharted: Golden Abyss
- Unit 13
- Urban Trial Freestyle
- Vanquish
- Velocity Ultra HD
- Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
- Wakeboarding HD
- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
- When Vikings Attack
- WipEout 2048
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
#28OkayPlayer1Posted 9/29/2013 10:26:53 AM
Everyone knows there's a technical difference and I couldn't care less about the hardware configuration or specs of either console, I'm getting both at launch, price is irrelevant to me, I'm looking forward to Kinect 2.0 (I was drinking and playing golf on Kinect last night with buddies) and all the other features of both consoles. That article talking about memory and data transfer rates still doesn't say how my Xbox One "not being built for next gen gaming" will affect how I grab a controller and play a game outside of what will be a minor graphical difference. If the difference between current gen and next gen is as marginal as it is, the technical difference and subsequent graphical difference between the next gen consoles will be even less so.

And the games you get with PS+ is great, who knows what MS will do next gen since PS3 never had any of that when it launched. And that has nothing to do with how a console plays a game, I buy most games on launch day anyway so most of the free ones that come out I care about I have already, including 35+ from that list. But irrelevant to whether a console is ""focused on games" or not, that's a company policy to give away games and can change by either company at any time and has nothing to do with the console itself.
#29SoulTrapperPosted 9/29/2013 10:39:49 AM
OkayPlayer1 posted...
Everyone knows there's a technical difference and I couldn't care less about the hardware configuration or specs of either console, I'm getting both at launch, price is irrelevant to me, I'm looking forward to Kinect 2.0 (I was drinking and playing golf on Kinect last night with buddies) and all the other features of both consoles. That article talking about memory and data transfer rates still doesn't say how my Xbox One "not being built for next gen gaming" will affect how I grab a controller and play a game outside of what will be a minor graphical difference. If the difference between current gen and next gen is as marginal as it is, the technical difference and subsequent graphical difference between the next gen consoles will be even less so.

What exactly is your question, because you've changed it now from
"How is the xbox not build for gaming?"
to
"How is the xbox not being build for gaming going to prevent me from picking up a controler?"

The answer to the first question is given in that article and is quite clear: the eSRAM is good for running apps, not for video games

The answer to the second question is that it won't stop you from anything, just that you'll be throwing away money for nothing, seeing as how there is a superior option available.

You can even build a PC that's just as good as the xbox one for $500.

The difference between next gen consoles is already showing and they haven't even launched.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09/29/xbox-one-retail-version-of-battlefield-4-will-still-run-at-720p-60-fps-ea-representative-confirms/

This won't get any better, if anything the xbox will hold back multiplatform games from looking as good as they could.

So by getting an xbox, you'd be holding back the quality of your games.

You're free to do with your money what you want, but I don't think spending it to get worse games isn't exactly a smart move.
---
PSN: El_Coon