The Cloud

#1XenoMechaPosted 9/28/2013 2:56:51 PM
Is nothing more than fluff, just like blast processing was. Look up the word "infrastructure" and then look up the bandwidth required to make in game graphics better. Most places cannot even do 1080p video and it will be years before the worlds infrastructure can support Sony/MS cloud graphics.
---
PSN: Eternius00
#2Shacky_101Posted 9/28/2013 3:02:19 PM
Where were you?
---
To be or not to be, William Shakespeare sucks.
#3maheo30Posted 9/28/2013 3:05:58 PM
Yes, because in the past 4-5 years they have spent 35-45 billions dollars on fluff.
---
The world should realize with increased clearness that Evangelicalism stands or falls with Calvinism. (Dr. B.B. Warfield)
#4mrshowtime333Posted 9/28/2013 3:53:29 PM
I predict in about 2-3 years into this console cycle people will really notice the giant difference it makes when one company has a giant server infrastructure and the other has none and has to rely on renting servers. I think that will be the single biggest difference between the consoles overall. Its vastly underrated by Sony fans IMO.
#5XenoMecha(Topic Creator)Posted 9/28/2013 7:59:52 PM
It matters more what the infrastructure is like for the Internet NOT the servers themselves. The bandwidth required is vastly larger than what is currently available in most places. And this isn't anti MS , this is all people who thigh the cloud will make console gaming better.
---
PSN: Eternius00
#6True_FoeHammerPosted 9/28/2013 8:35:09 PM
mrshowtime333 posted...
I predict in about 2-3 years into this console cycle people will really notice the giant difference it makes when one company has a giant server infrastructure and the other has none and has to rely on renting servers. I think that will be the single biggest difference between the consoles overall. Its vastly underrated by Sony fans IMO.

All of those dedicated servers (which Sony has had for the entire last generation) doesn't mean **** if your ISP is providing a terrible service.
#7SunDevil77Posted 9/28/2013 8:41:46 PM
Speculation is worthless. It could work, it could not. Time will tell.
---
The average lifespan of a raccoon is ~5 years.
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#8Cowboy082288Posted 9/28/2013 8:47:06 PM
I don't think many people are thinking out of the Box on this (pun intended). Will the cloud provide better graphics on your TV screen?? I find that highly unlikely and a rather dubious claim. They gave some example of light source that doesn't need to be refreshed and all but still, for the most part, the stuff on your screen has to be refreshed by your console/pc. Internet is a huge bottleneck for these sorts of things, so I don't think cloud can improve graphics.

With that being said, calling the 'cloud' fluff is silly. MS cloud is called Azure and it is a multi-billion dollar project they have been building for years. The only other two clouds in it's league is I believe Amazons and Googles similar service. MS has said they are going to provide this service free of cost in some cases to renting fees. The renting fees have been described by some devs as being generous. MS would want to be 'generous' on this to encourage more devs to take advantage of it. Potentially giving the X1 a differentiating factor over the PS4.

One advantage is dedicated servers. Most multi player games of the last gen were P2P. Sure there were some exceptions but not many. One thing already on my mind is fighting games. I love SF4 but a game like that were timing is everything suffers horribly from P2P play. Now capcom could theoretically provide dedicated servers for that game at little to no cost. Another advantage is the scope of the game, something like a MMO requires servers to host the game. Normally a game like planet side 2 or WoW requires that the game be backed by a publisher with deep pockets. That may not be the case anymore.

Cloud can also be used in more subtle ways. Such as any X1 being able to recognize you and pull your profile onto it. Some of the stuff Forza is boasting about AI that learns from how you play and can replicate that against a friend even when you personally are not playing. While I find that somewhat interesting, I would really like that to be applied to some of the e-sport/fighting game scene.

I would love to be able to practice against an AI simulation of some of the best human players on SF4. So imagine going on a leaderboard and then saying 'I want to play that guys AI'. I haven't heard of any game talking about such a thing, but would like to see it attempted.

Cloud computing has been making it's way into pretty much every sector of the technology industry. I certainly don't know all the ways it could be used in the video game industry. If I did I would be out making millions instead of talking to you on gamefaqs :P
---
PSN/XBL/Steam - cowboyoni