Do graphics make or break a game these days on Xbox One?

#1Exodus_PrimePosted 10/1/2013 12:31:11 PM
I've seen a lot of posts here also on IGN,GameSpot, and other sites where people get into graphics debate or to some people graphics makes or breaks a game for them. Here's my question is this what the gaming community is all about now? just graphics? full 1080p? 60FPS no more no less? which in game grass looks better on what version? to those of us who started their gaming hobby on a NES or SNES looking at the graphics of today on 360/PS3 I would kill (not literally) for graphics like GTA V,Uncharted,Gears Of War, Crysis like graphics back in the day, Imagine Final Fantasy VII with PS3 graphics, or Act Raiser with awesome graphics of today compared to the days of SNES. Have gamers become spoiled? entitled? or just to opinionated? where did we loose sight of this? what happened to gameplay makes or breaks a game?

I keep seeing " I liked the game but I wasn't impressed by the graphics" or "I played GTA V today and the graphics are crap" are you serious? I wish GTA 3 looked like GTA V back in the PS2 days I'd still be playing it. Or the Xbox One has sucky graphics it fails in everything. Is it this generation of gamers who lust over graphics? or what am I missing here.

Personal Opinion: Gameplay is always number one when I boot up a game. Graphics are a number two tied with story, but can we really relate amazing stories to video games? just Graphics alone do not make or break a game for me. Sound is very important a long with attention to detail.
---
Xbox One and PlayStation 4
Because I can buy both.
#2sworderPosted 10/1/2013 12:34:39 PM
resolution and framerate have nothing to do with graphics

In fact, those 2 are being ignored for the sake of making the game prettier
#3Limp_sugarPosted 10/1/2013 12:39:25 PM
sworder posted...

+1
---
Support your developer. Buy new.
#4bias2000Posted 10/1/2013 12:42:36 PM
I remember the NES days and the systems before them too, I grew up with an Atari 2600 and I don't see what the fuss is these days about everyone wanting graphics graphics graphics, if a game is bad even the best graphics in the world won't make it any better and as for resolution unless you have a large tv it's hard to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p. As long as a game plays smooth, has good gameplay and looks half decent it works for me.
---
Gamertag:OptimushedPrune
People say I'm indecisive........but me I'm not so sure
#5Ch3wyPosted 10/1/2013 12:43:17 PM
Limp_sugar posted...
sworder posted...

+1

---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#6Sniper_BrosefPosted 10/1/2013 12:45:57 PM
Absolutely not. Gameplay, stories, and characters have, and always will, make games enjoyable and memorable. It's never graphics that create a memorable experience. Is that what Mario is remembered for? Metal Gear? Halo?
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#7AzaneAzerPosted 10/1/2013 12:46:09 PM
It depends on the game, I spent 600 hours on a game like the binding of isaac and I only spend about 6 on Assassin's Creed type games

But in the same vein, the graphic potential in some games has kept me playing them longer.

You need a balance honestly, 8 bit games don't keep me coming back for more anymore, I grew up on the C64 and Atari, but only a couple of games from the NES era live because of nostalgia, and the SNES is immune to graphics debates because it was the gen before the companies began putting Profit above consumer.
#8knightimexPosted 10/1/2013 12:58:39 PM(edited)
sworder posted...

IMO frame rate and resolution MAKE the graphics look pretty.

I will GLADLY take a game that has worse graphics that's in 720/1080p 60fps, over a game that has gorgeous graphics with s*** resolution, 30fps.

This is why games like super Mario 3d world easily appeal to me.

Take an old game like starfox on snes for example.

The game runs@15-20 fps. Meh I know.
But..

If you've ever seen starfox run in fast motion, it gives a 60fps placebo effect.

Which makes the game look so much better looking in motion.

---
Games I'm currently playing: Final Fantasy 9 (ps1), Serious Sam 3 BFE (pc)
#9Orange_ApplesPosted 10/1/2013 1:22:39 PM(edited)
Its because 720p/30fps was the standard on PS360. It is seen as no improvement compared to the previous generation.

Nintendo has gone
NES: 8 bit
SNES: 16 bit
N64: 64 bit (240p)
GCN: 360p
Wii: 420p
WiiU: 720p/1080p

Sony has gone
PS1: 32 bit (240p)
PS2: 360p
PS3: 720p
PS4: 720p/1080p

Microsoft has gone
Xbox: 360p
360: 720p
XB1: 720p/1080p

At least with Nintendo every step was a vast improvement. Getting more 720p is not impressive when Sony's and MS's previous console was also pushing that same thing. It is seen as pretty lazy and it also means that WiiU is on the same level as PS4 and XB1, which annoys those fanboys to no end.
---
PC + Nintendo
Winning combination in the late 80s, winning combination in the 90s, winning combination today.
#10Exodus_Prime(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 1:17:20 PM
knightimex posted...
sworder posted...

IMO frame rate and resolution MAKE the graphics look pretty.

I will GLADLY take a game that has worse graphics that's in 720/1080p 60fps, over a game that has gorgeous graphics with s*** resolution, 30fps.

This is why games like super Mario 3d world easily appeal to me.

Take an old game like starfox on snes for example.

The game runs@15-20 fps. Meh I know.
But..

If you've ever seen starfox run in fast motion, it gives a 60fps placebo effect.

Which makes the game look so much better looking in motion.

StarFox total nostalgia right there =)
---
Xbox One and PlayStation 4
Because I can buy both.