Is cloud ever feasible?

#1wolfwingPosted 10/1/2013 3:03:42 PM
Yes for some but I mean in general, just the laws of physics, and such that could technology ever overcome? If your on the oposite side of the country from the servers, is there anything that can be done to make ping latency and such make it feasible? I'm just curious, people talk about technology and such, but technology can't get past hard limits.
---
Currently playing GW2/Asura's Wrath/Dragon Age: Origins/Monster Hunter ultimate.
#2regsantotomasPosted 10/1/2013 3:08:14 PM
This already exists in a variety of applications - so yes, it's possible.

It is about its application so it doesn't have to necessarily rely on the latency that is important.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#3PorungaPosted 10/1/2013 3:14:54 PM(edited)
Microsofts idea of gaming ai and graphics being boosted by the cloud is a real possibility.. however, with current internet infrastructure, it is not. The cloud will not be able to enhance console gaming in any significant way, other than some online features. Once internet systems are upgraded.. speeds increased, latency reduced.. the cloud could be a big thing for boosting consoles beyond their native hardware. Maybe next next gen. If anything of microsofts plans for the xbo was "a little to far into the future" it is the cloud.
#4wolfwing(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 3:49:22 PM
Yeah, I assume it be a while, but what is the minimum perfect latency say from LA to new york?
---
Currently playing GW2/Asura's Wrath/Dragon Age: Origins/Monster Hunter ultimate.
#5Cowboy082288Posted 10/1/2013 4:04:30 PM
wolfwing posted...
Yes for some but I mean in general, just the laws of physics, and such that could technology ever overcome? If your on the oposite side of the country from the servers, is there anything that can be done to make ping latency and such make it feasible? I'm just curious, people talk about technology and such, but technology can't get past hard limits.

I don't really understand what your asking. Things like google maps is powered by 'the cloud', so yeah it's feasible. It's already been done.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam - cowboyoni
#6wolfwing(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 4:14:14 PM
Cowboy082288 posted...
wolfwing posted...

I don't really understand what your asking. Things like google maps is powered by 'the cloud', so yeah it's feasible. It's already been done.

well I mean something like what xbox one is talking about where, you load off 1/4+ of a games computing power to somewhere else which just has alot of caps on latency.

Time to send request to other computer, time for computer to process, time for that computer to send to console, time for console to intigrate it. All these things take time, and have a latency cap on just how slow they can take. Now with graphics, a short delay in images poping up or reactions can make a game look horrible, if you crash and it takes the game 2 seconds to render the crash.
---
#7Cowboy082288Posted 10/1/2013 4:26:50 PM
wolfwing posted...
Cowboy082288 posted...
wolfwing posted...

well I mean something like what xbox one is talking about where, you load off 1/4+ of a games computing power to somewhere else which just has alot of caps on latency.

Time to send request to other computer, time for computer to process, time for that computer to send to console, time for console to intigrate it. All these things take time, and have a latency cap on just how slow they can take. Now with graphics, a short delay in images poping up or reactions can make a game look horrible, if you crash and it takes the game 2 seconds to render the crash.

Well any game with online aspects to it deals with this latency. As for improving/processing graphics, I think any claims MS has made about that are dubious. Yes there is a huge bottleneck in bandwidth, even if the connection is silky smooth and you live next door to the servers, your bandwidth is still way smaller than what you have internally on the console/PC.

That being said, having a cloud service backing the gaming experience can be applicable in many other ways I think (mmos), probably just not graphics.
---
#8wolfwing(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 4:51:33 PM
Well yeah, storing AI online works, streaming the game 100% like with PS4 and other systems, where the only thing being sent there and back is commands and video, everything is done elsewhere. Just the idea of some stuff that gets intigrated on the fly will run into trouble. MMO's work because the data packs sent back and forth are small. And it's not like the servers are running the graphics for enemies and then your computer adds them, most of what is sent is commands on what things are doing + positions.
---
#9Cowboy082288Posted 10/1/2013 5:30:09 PM
wolfwing posted...
Well yeah, storing AI online works, streaming the game 100% like with PS4 and other systems, where the only thing being sent there and back is commands and video, everything is done elsewhere. Just the idea of some stuff that gets intigrated on the fly will run into trouble. MMO's work because the data packs sent back and forth are small. And it's not like the servers are running the graphics for enemies and then your computer adds them, most of what is sent is commands on what things are doing + positions.

That is an interesting area of gaming. Apparently MS recently did a tech demo where they were streaming Halo 4 threw a smart phone. I have never personally played games like this before, though have heard people say that it suffers lag issues. They were referencing the Gaikai service.

I mean theoretically you could make a game in this manner that would look far better than any game ever. As to how well that would actually work.... I'm not so sure.
---
#10pigboyPosted 10/1/2013 5:46:12 PM
The whole Cloud thing is just to improve graphic just does not make sense whatsoever, even if the internet infrastructure improved in the future.

Gamers would end up with games that do NOT WORK if there is no or low internet connection to their console, even if it is a SINGLE player game. It is the most silly idea in the world and I am not sure which boned head in Microsoft came up with this marketing gimmick. The sad part is that there are people buying into this idea.

I just want to play my game whenever I want just like my good old trust-worthy SNES, Gensis, PS1/2/3, any time, any where I want without worrying to be on internet or not.

If a game console cannot handle the graphic of a game properly on its own without the help of the Cloud-Cloud. I am sorry but it will not be a console I would considered by any means.