Is cloud ever feasible?

#11Ramsus082Posted 10/1/2013 7:09:14 PM
It's been feasible for a long, long time now which is why it's disturbing to a lot of people that we're talking about it as if it's a new concept to gaming. Remember Everquest? Ultima Online? Both of those games offloaded AI computation and plenty of other code to the "cloud" so our machines didn't have to run it. That's an MMO. That's precisely what proponents of the cloud suggest, allocating resources to another server so our machines can focus on other code. Which is helpful, obviously, just nothing new and massively over-hyped. Dedicated servers only work like that for games that are online-only.

Not every XboxOne game is online-only.
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#12Foxx3kPosted 10/1/2013 11:27:29 PM
The cloud is great for CPU intensive, latency insensitive, processes.

Enemy intelligence is a great example of this.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#13SilentS89Posted 10/3/2013 12:48:35 PM
pigboy posted...
...Gamers would end up with games that do NOT WORK if there is no or low internet connection to their console, even if it is a SINGLE player game. It is the most silly idea in the world and I am not sure which boned head in Microsoft came up with this marketing gimmick. The sad part is that there are people buying into this idea.

I just want to play my game whenever I want just like my good old trust-worthy SNES, Gensis, PS1/2/3, any time, any where I want without worrying to be on internet or not. ...

Exactly, dependence on the internet is a crippling weakness.
#14bob15xPosted 10/3/2013 12:57:14 PM
Porunga posted...
Microsofts idea of gaming ai and graphics being boosted by the cloud is a real possibility.. however, with current internet infrastructure, it is not. The cloud will not be able to enhance console gaming in any significant way, other than some online features. Once internet systems are upgraded.. speeds increased, latency reduced.. the cloud could be a big thing for boosting consoles beyond their native hardware. Maybe next next gen. If anything of microsofts plans for the xbo was "a little to far into the future" it is the cloud.

My guess is, you know a small fraction of what the engineers that created azure do, so My guess is, you really don't know what you are talking about.
#15nameless0101Posted 10/4/2013 8:06:06 AM
Ramsus082 posted...
It's been feasible for a long, long time now which is why it's disturbing to a lot of people that we're talking about it as if it's a new concept to gaming. Remember Everquest? Ultima Online? Both of those games offloaded AI computation and plenty of other code to the "cloud" so our machines didn't have to run it. That's an MMO. That's precisely what proponents of the cloud suggest, allocating resources to another server so our machines can focus on other code. Which is helpful, obviously, just nothing new and massively over-hyped. Dedicated servers only work like that for games that are online-only.

Not every XboxOne game is online-only.

I think the issue is that the AI in mmo's is generally not very complicated either and also doesn't need to react that fast as the gameplays generally a bit slower.

I'm not sure personally (I won't write it off until I've seen it) if currently it would be in anyway possible to do AI over the cloud for something as fast paced as most fps's are.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag DeludedFool
PSN Name also DeludedFool