Xbox One day-one update takes 15-20 minutes because it's the entire finished OS.

#1BudWisenheimerPosted 10/1/2013 5:27:39 PM(edited)
I first posted this back in June and some of us have discussed it a few times since. But there are a few new people (or maybe they are just Alts?) showing up here closer to launch time. So I'll just put this here again for discussion:

Microsoft originally wanted to have 24-hour online checks for a few different reasons. But one of them was to allow software developers even more time to polish and tweak leading up to their releases. Forza5 is a great example of this. And so is the finished OS (operating system).

MS originally gave their OS team a November deadline to squeeze in every launch feature possible. But when the policy for a 24-hour check was reversed a week after E3 they had to choose between changing the deadline to match the beginning of hardware mass production which would rush the OS development by more than two months. Or they could honor their original deadline and let the team work right up until the console launch.

They went with the original deadline and will require the finished OS to be downloaded.

Not to defend Larry Hyrb's rudely grabbing the mic but when he implied the DRM/24-hour check wasn't as easy as flipping a switch he wasn't completely off. But not because of the DRM (there was no DRM as there was no finished OS and there still isn't). It was because taking away the check would rip over two months away from the software team (until they later decided to require a day one update).

In summary: there is no DRM and there is no patch because there is still no finished OS. Your Xbone will probably do little more than power on and let you set the TV resolution and pick your language until you sign in for the online update to get the finished OS. And maybe once they sell out of the pre-launch consoles they will start to put the OS on the hardware. Maybe game discs will also start to include it too.
#2coltsfan4ever31Posted 10/1/2013 5:30:22 PM
Any word on how big that patch is?
---
---"If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score?"-Vince Lombardi
#3BudWisenheimer(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 5:32:11 PM
coltsfan4ever31 posted...
Any word on how big that patch is?

My guess would be zero kb. :-)
#4s2goodPosted 10/1/2013 5:40:42 PM
15-20 mins could be 2 or 3 Gigs for me. Guess it depends how fast your Internet is.
---
PSN = Dragon--Punch Gamertag = Sonic B0000M
PS4 & Xbox One Pre Ordered
#5Ramsus082Posted 10/1/2013 7:12:54 PM
Was there controversy regarding this? What we're downloading? It seems to me that whether we're obligated to download a patch or an entire OS, we're downloading something that probably shouldn't have needed to be downloaded in the first place. I thought that was the issue for some.
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#6khardboredPosted 10/1/2013 7:15:50 PM
Interesting. Could be true. Do you have any sources here? Forgive me if I don't take the word of someone on...gfaqs..you understand.
---
As I was going up the stairs I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. I wish, I wish he'd go away.
#7Ramsus082Posted 10/1/2013 7:18:45 PM
BudWisenheimer posted...

Not to defend Larry Hyrb's rudely grabbing the mic but when he implied the DRM/24-hour check wasn't as easy as flipping a switch he wasn't completely off.

Yeah.....nobody really cares about Larry's or some anonymous engineer's troubles; We don't owe a multi-national corporation our empathy or sympathy. As consumers, they sell the product and we buy the product, and that's typically the extent of our relationship. Nobody cares about how the sausage gets made, or if it's hard for Dave in software or Mike in engineering to give us we want to buy. I'm sure Mr. Hryb is a decent fellow, I just don't care about him. We shouldn't be asked to care about him.

I don't mean to snipe your sentences, but I see this defense of Larry come up a lot here and it bothers me.
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#8CapnStankyPosted 10/1/2013 7:21:32 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#9khardboredPosted 10/1/2013 7:26:38 PM
CapnStanky posted...
LOL what happened to the thread that idiot started earlier today about how we just found out about the day one patch today? Hahahahaha

And to the TC of this thread, no crap it's the entire OS. That's how system updates are done on consoles. When you get the once a year 360 UI/OS update, it's the entire thing. Every time Sony updates the PS3, it's the whole thing. This isn't news.

What I think he is trying to say is that MS has shipped Xboxs that have NO functionality without this mystery update that is the other half of the OS. I don't believe it, at all. The patch will be as big as it needs to be to fix the DRM and not to include missing OS functionality.
---
As I was going up the stairs I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. I wish, I wish he'd go away.
#10BudWisenheimer(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 7:28:49 PM
CapnStanky posted...
LOL what happened to the thread that idiot started earlier today about how we just found out about the day one patch today? Hahahahaha

And to the TC of this thread, no crap it's the entire OS. That's how system updates are done on consoles. When you get the once a year 360 UI/OS update, it's the entire thing. Every time Sony updates the PS3, it's the whole thing. This isn't news.

Yeah I didn't think it was news either. Just common sense. But I keep seeing these topics to the contrary. No big deal. My buddy reminded where there is a shred of proof that might confirm this a bit more. But I've been saying this for a while and I figured the size of the download was proof enough that we were right.

Just need to track it down. Stay tuned.