Xbox One day-one update takes 15-20 minutes because it's the entire finished OS.

#11NerdimusPrimePosted 10/1/2013 7:31:13 PM
khardbored posted...
CapnStanky posted...
LOL what happened to the thread that idiot started earlier today about how we just found out about the day one patch today? Hahahahaha

And to the TC of this thread, no crap it's the entire OS. That's how system updates are done on consoles. When you get the once a year 360 UI/OS update, it's the entire thing. Every time Sony updates the PS3, it's the whole thing. This isn't news.

What I think he is trying to say is that MS has shipped Xboxs that have NO functionality without this mystery update that is the other half of the OS. I don't believe it, at all. The patch will be as big as it needs to be to fix the DRM and not to include missing OS functionality.

MS has stated that this console will not play games without the update. It's required in order for the console to function, plain and simple. I'm sure there will be some disclaimer on the packaging but if you have zero internet connectivity, you cannot use this game console.
---
Troll logic: say something utterly moronic and when someone takes the time to point out your stupidity, you win!
#12BudWisenheimer(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 7:37:52 PM
True_FoeHammer posted...
BudWisenheimer posted...
GalvatronType_R posted...
Lets say you're one of those hapless people who think that with MS going back on all their DRM policies, you will be fine using the X1 without having internet service. Au contraire, mon frere.

If you cannot download the day one patch due to having no broadband, ALL previous DRM will still be in effect (i.e., games can only be played for 24 hours, you can only trade or sell or give away games once, the camera must be plugged in for the console to work, etc.).

That is all. Now you know and knowing is half the battle. Keep calm and carry on.

Nope. It's even worse than that. There is no previous DRM because there won't even be a finished OS. So you won't even be able to play any games at all.

You know, for every time I've seen you claim this, I've never seen proof. Just hot air. Care to change that?

Here's something (besides being right about the size of the download and the polygon quote etc.):

http://i.imgur.com/BY908Ej.png

Now I just need to track down the link.
#13BudWisenheimer(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 7:39:06 PM
Ah! Got it. Shred of proof:

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1kfwvn/question_about_day_one_update/
#14Ramsus082Posted 10/1/2013 7:41:47 PM
I'll be satisfied with the Anonymous Xbox Developer as a source here if you never subtly imply again that you take issue with the EDGE piece. Fair :) ?
---
Band I'm listening to - "Song I'm listening to"
#15BudWisenheimer(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 7:43:29 PM
Ramsus082 posted...
I don't mean to snipe your sentences, but I see this defense of Larry come up a lot here and it bothers me.

Say what? I was just trying to refer to it as part of the puzzle. I said he was rude. Should I be meaner to the guy you don't care about? I'll do it if it makes you happy. I dream of Jeannie nincompoop.
#16khardboredPosted 10/1/2013 7:44:49 PM
Interesting read. If that is to be believed then say they kept the DRM in. We login and still have to download an entire OS. It just doesn't jive. The release date thing, meh. I honestly don't believe it. I think there will be some random fixes, the drm patch and that is it. Just me...
---
As I was going up the stairs I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. I wish, I wish he'd go away.
#17NerdimusPrimePosted 10/1/2013 7:54:22 PM(edited)
Ramsus082 posted...
I'll be satisfied with the Anonymous Xbox Developer as a source here if you never subtly imply again that you take issue with the EDGE piece. Fair :) ?

. This console will not work without the day 1 update, How about you send an email to MS and ask them or perhaps look up the definition of "mandatory"? This console will not function without the Day 1 update, MS has stated as such but feel free to corroborate that fact independently.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/81391/xbox-one-day-one-update-will-take-15-to-20
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/19/xbox-one-will-require-day-one-update

there are more, feel free to look for yourself. take note of the term " mandatory".

---
Troll logic: say something utterly moronic and when someone takes the time to point out your stupidity, you win!
#18CapnStankyPosted 10/1/2013 7:46:24 PM
It'll be interesting to see what happens on day 1 if you dont connect it to the Internet and attempt to start it. I imagine you get a "You must connect to the internet" error message since even if their is an OS on it, it's the DRM-based one.
#19BudWisenheimer(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 7:52:15 PM(edited)
Ramsus082 posted...

Do what you want. Seems like you always do. ;-) But just so you know I'm not as satisfied with this "proof" as I am the common sense it took to realize this back in June when non-anonymous Marc Whitten spilled it first. The size of this download is THE confirmation that it was never a "patch." Like I said months ago the puzzle pieces have been there all along. But I guess some people don't like puzzles. :-(

See what I mean?:
khardbored posted...
I honestly don't believe it. I think there will be some random fixes, the drm patch and that is it. Just me...
#20khardboredPosted 10/1/2013 7:58:59 PM
BudWisenheimer posted...
Ramsus082 posted...

Do what you want. Seems like you always do. ;-) But just so you know I'm not as satisfied with this "proof" as I am the common sense it took to realize this back in June when non-anonymous Marc Whitten spilled it first. The size of this download is THE confirmation that it was never a "patch." Like I said months ago the puzzle pieces have been there all along. But I guess some people don't like puzzles. :-(

See what I mean?:
khardbored posted...
I honestly don't believe it. I think there will be some random fixes, the drm patch and that is it. Just me...

Where is the size? Where is the proof aside from an Internet post?
I don't believe you because you posted a link of more people on a forum talking.
I do believe that the console will have limited functionality on launch without the update. But not because of it missing half the OS. Because of the DRM. Show me a filesize backed up by someone from MS confirming it. I don't deal in rumor and speculation. That is just stupid.
And before you attack me for not having logic, fanboyism, etc etc, I don't care. Until I hear otherwise or from someone more credible, your post is just another rumor.
---
As I was going up the stairs I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. I wish, I wish he'd go away.